[Book Spoilers] Did HBO set up the death of Jorah?

WhiteWalder

I rewatched S03E01 again last night, and I could not help thinking that by HBO not revealing Barristan Selmy as Whitebeard, it set up Jorah Mormont to die instead of being banished by Dany.

Here is my thinking:

In the books, after Whitebeard reveals himself as Barristan, he tells Dany that he could not reveal himself as such in Qarth, because he knew there was spy for king Robert accompanying her. Dany then realizes that the spy must be Jorah. Dany asks them both to go away, but then sends both Jorah and Barristan with 20 men on a mission that will either kill them or prove their loyalty. After a successful mission, Barristan is forgiven, but Jorah is not. In the book Jorah is banished or will be killed if seen by Dany again.

Why would it set up Jorah's death to not reveal Barristan as Whitebeard?

In the books, when both Barristan and Jorah are thought to be traitors, there is a feeling from Dany that she cannot lose the two closest people to her and her advisors.

When Dany figures out that Jorah was the spy for king Robert, he continuously deflects her ire towards Barristan like a child. I am a spy? Well Barristan helped the Usurper Robert, he is much worse than me. Dany thinks about why she should forgive the two.

I think without the betrayal from Barristan, all of Dany's wrath will be directed towards Jorah. There will not be a sense of losing both her advisors and those closest to her all at once. There will be only the one person who has betrayed her. There will be nobody for Jorah to deflect Dany's attention towards, and all her ire will come on him at once. I don't think this leaves any room for redemption or forgiveness.

It sets up Jorah to go on a solo mission to Mereen. A solo mission would sign his death warrant, or Dany might just kill him with blood and fire.

What are your thoughts?

The main reason was that the entire audience would recognize Barristan anyway, and since Jorah had seen Barristan before he was exiled, he would have to recognize him too.

It would be pretty stupid if everyone pretended not to know the greatest knight in all of Westeros :)

Well Jorah plays an important part in Tyrion's future, does he not? I think the relationship between Dany and her bear could yet be patched up in the books. I do not foresee GoT deviating that much from source.

Perhaps if Iain Glen desires to quit the show and the showrunners know something we do not... other than that, I cannot see it.

That would slightly change some of the next parts of the plot. But then again we don't exactly know what happens to Jorah once they join whatever company they join, so D&D might have better insight given they know the outline of the rest of the story.

It would certainly be the first deviation that spoils the book.

Barristan already admitted that he failed (if not betrayed) her family, so when he reveals that Jorah was spying for Robert Jorah will still point to Barristan and say "yeah, but he served Robert too and you forgave him".

Besides the point about Jorah playing a big role in the story in ADWD and presumably thereafter, Iain Glen is great and they won't kill off his character unless the actor decides to be done with the show. Personally I'm psyched for the Glen-Dinklage interplay and I'm sure the showrunners are, too.

I don't see Jorah dying. He is an essential castmember with his own storyline and there is absolutely no reason for him to die when he's supposed to join up with Tyrion later on.

Really, I think Dany is more likely to simply exile Jorah than to send him off to die or kill him once she finds out.

Considering how many deviations the story has already made from the book with Dany's story line, changes don't really mean anything necessarily as far as future books or what will happen in the show based off the current books. They completely made up Dany's story line for season 2 with little resemblance to the book, so there is nothing to say they won't completely make up future story lines as they see fit.

I think you're overreacting. Daenary's reaction to finding out he served Robert Baratheon didn't seem too positive to me. Don't forget that he also failed to defend her father, yet dutifully served two "Usurpers".

I think it's pretty simple. We saw Barriston in the episodes. In the books it was easier to just call him old without every reader realizing who he was. But on the show we saw him a lot and would recognize him quickly.

Well, still could be done in the show - in the booko he is described with long hair and beard, that alone can change looks enough fo non-readers to be confused (but you'd hav to keep casting secret one ;)), esp. without the recap in the intro. Plus you can "hide" the face by various means (like shooting him from behind when the hood is off...).

After all in the book it was pretty clear as well, the joy came in from Dany knowing less than reader ;)

His story is thus unfortunately diminished a bit, omitting the "need to check if she is Aerys or Rhaegar" bit robs Selmy of quitre a significant character development.

Considering how many deviations the story has already made from the book with Dany's story line, changes don't really mean anything necessarily as far as future books or what will happen in the show based off the current books. They completely made up Dany's story line for season 2 with little resemblance to the book, so there is nothing to say they won't completely make up future story lines as they see fit.

But she is still in Astapor ready to buy the Unsullied, with Jorah and Barristan at her side. All roads lead to Crossroads Inn.

There's gonna be enough fan favorites dying in season 3 and 4 without them having to tack on ones that weren't even in the book. :lol:

Besides, the audience is gonna love it when Tyrion and Jorah meet up. Especially TV Tyrion and TV Jorah, they'd have to be out of their minds to throw that potential hilarity away.

Jorah will only take a break. If he disappears at the end of season 4, he could reappear in the end of season 5. Tyrion's capture and the revelation that he is off to Meereen not to King's Landing could be the end of Tyrion's arc there (while Aegon is deciding simultaneously to go to Westeros).

As to the fallout between Jorah and Dany: In the show they may play the jealousy card more. First arrives Barristan, next comes Daario. This will surely start to piss Jorah off. Considering that they should deliver the kissing scene in the near future as well, there will be more than enough potential for Dany to be pissed.

And TV Selmy knows at least about the assassination attempt on Daenerys. He is there when Ned asks Varys to call it off. He may very well know that Jorah was the spy who told Robert about Dany's pregnancy...

Archived