[Book Spoilers] Did HBO set up the death of Jorah?

WhiteWalder

The main reason was that the entire audience would recognize Barristan anyway, and since Jorah had seen Barristan before he was exiled, he would have to recognize him too.

It would be pretty stupid if everyone pretended not to know the greatest knight in all of Westeros :)

I saw the episode with two non-book readers. Neither of which had ANY idea who he was or recognized him even AFTER having watched the 'last time on GoT' scene with him telling Joff to melt down his sword. There is absolutely no reason that they couldn't have done Artsan. He wasn't recognisable without the rouse.

I saw the episode with two non-book readers. Neither of which had ANY idea who he was or recognized him even AFTER having watched the 'last time on GoT' scene with him telling Joff to melt down his sword. There is absolutely no reason that they couldn't have done Artsan. He wasn't recognisable without the rouse.

same here! its very hard for my friends to keep up with all the characters if they didnt remember roose bolton when they saw the episode i knew theyw erent gonna remember barristan with shows like this its important for non book readers to watch all these "previously on..." videos that hbo puts before the episode

We know Jorah cant die so soon. I think Dany's motivation to exile him (in the show) will come more from his sexual advances. It did a little in the book, she clearly finds him discomforting in that manner.

Of course, it wont be the official reason, but it is a motivation the follows HBO's style.

I've always hoped they'd show the infiltration of Mereen. I think it'd translate very well, with Jorah and Selmy hating each other but forced to come together for this commando-suicide-mission-impossible type deal. The crocodile infested sewers could be especially awesome.

No way this is happening though. :/

I don't think the audience knowing is such a big deal. Put a long beard and hair on the actor and many would not recognize him, some would. The reveal to the audience isn't important though. Even if the audience knows who it is the whole time, the reveal still would have been better for Dany's storyline.

Now, I don't hate the change, but I just think it'd be a little bit better the original way. You'd get some neat moments of Jorah and Dany wondering just who this old man is, and why he's so BA and wise. Then you could have the Jorah Exile moment play out pretty much the same way, which would be good television. Again though, I don't hate this change, it works just fine and doesn't really change any of the characters from their book counterparts.

We know Jorah cant die so soon. I think Dany's motivation to exile him (in the show) will come more from his sexual advances. It did a little in the book, she clearly finds him discomforting in that manner.

Of course, it wont be the official reason, but it is a motivation the follows HBO's style.

I don't see why the reason for exile would change. He was a spy for King Robert in the TV show too. Barristan knows even more about it in the TV show than he does the books. Your suggestion actually changes the characters from their book counterparts, which is something I get upset about in the TV show. Changing Scenes/Dialogue/storyline is fine, so long as the core of the character is in tact. Dany wouldn't simply send Jorah away forever due to sexual advances. The only character assassination the TV show has really done so far is with Jon imo but don't get me started on that.

The only part about the Barristan reveal I disliked was the change from Staff to Knife, and the action sequences in the scene. One moment Barristan draws a knife and heads towards Dany. Jorah grabs him from behind to protect Dany, cut. Next thing we see Barristan is stabbing the Manticore. Next Barristan is running after the girl assassin with his dagger in the air like some crazy old woman would run with a knife, not how a seasoned swordsman would ever run with a dagger.. lol. The action in the scene just doesn't flow. A staff would have made more sense, and instead of Barristan running after the assassin, replace it with a scene of Barristan instantly freeing himself from Jorah with some combat move, and knocking the Manticore away as the Assassin hisses/flees.

Ah well.

No way this is happening. It would mean that they would lose the scene with Jorah at the brothel where he meets Tyrion. How could HBO just ignore a titillating scene like that?? I mean come on, they added that useless scene with Bronn just to have a naked chick in episode 1.

Beat me too it. :agree:

What are your thoughts?

There is a [book Spoilers] on this section , so if you have read ADwD you know Jorah is still alive at the end of of that novel, in fact plays, sort of inadvertently , a role in bringing Tyrion into the vicinity of Dany.

I am going to guess that in Winds Dany and Tyrion meet.

Dave and Dan have shown , sometimes mysteriously , a tendency to kill off secondary characters (Dany's hand maidens, for instance). However they have not shown an inclination to depart from George's story line for major characters.

So far.

Archived