[No Spoilers] From where Daenerys get money to buy Unsullied ?

DukeAlmighty

Well, at least that part makes sense with no Illyrio to send ships. Of course as someone who has read the books I know how it will continue.

Yeah the butterfly effect again. Illyrio's part in Dany's departure was to remind readers that Illyrio/Varys have some mysterious BIGGER game going on.

I like this.

Season 2 was all about "Where are my dragons!?!?" so keeping with that theme season 3 should be "where are my dothraki?!?!?"

Season 4 = "Where are my pancakes?!?!"

and so on

This is my favorite post read on this board this week....

"WHERE ARE MY PANCAKES !!! I WANT TO EAT THEM WITH FIRE AND BLOOD !!!"

I haven't read the books (I don't want to spoil the series), so I am wondering, how is this played in books, because in series it doesn't make any sense.

Season 2 ends with Daenerys companions looting Xaro's house. There is dialoge between Daenerys and Ser Jorah, Ser Jorah assures that valuable will be enough to buy 1 small ship. So where she suddenly gets money to buy 8000 elite soldiers ?

The answer to that was first time I was really surprised in the books by George, I flat was not expecting what happened, so if you want some fun don't ask anyone to spoil it for you.

I haven't read the books (I don't want to spoil the series), so I am wondering, how is this played in books, because in series it doesn't make any sense.

Season 2 ends with Daenerys companions looting Xaro's house. There is dialoge between Daenerys and Ser Jorah, Ser Jorah assures that valuable will be enough to buy 1 small ship. So where she suddenly gets money to buy 8000 elite soldiers ?

That scene is awesome. :) Meanwhile, enjoy the teaser previews of this season.

Why ask and the say, "But please! No spoilers!"?

< perplexed >

I haven't read the book so I'm just speculating, but I don't think she has any intention to pay for them. I fully expected Jorah to chop the slavemasters head off right there when he mentioned the killing babies part or started insulting them. but nothing happened. Maybe not yet.

I haven't read the book so I'm just speculating, but I don't think she has any intention to pay for them. I fully expected Jorah to chop the slavemasters head off right there when he mentioned the killing babies part or started insulting them. but nothing happened. Maybe not yet.

No all the evidence has been given to you , if you want to play detective it is a fun game to try to put all the pieces together. When I read the book I could not deduce it.

By the by in the book Illyrio Mopatis has given Dany three ships that do contain some trading goods , which could be bargained for , that is a little tweak that GRRM uses to help throw one off, seemingly not used on the show.

It is my favorite scene in SoS... I was gob smacked!

I also think the Jorah line about "buying one ship" at the end of season 2 may have meant to be a little tongue-in-cheek, as in, they had really looted quite a bit of treasure and he was sort of downplaying it as a joke.

Yeah that's how I saw it too. There was clearly enough in Xaro's house to pay for a lot more than just a ship.

Where did the money come from?

Little know fact...The Lannisters are and have always been jealous of the Targaryens. The joke about Tywin pooping gold is actually based on an old Valyrian wives tale about dragon excrement and how, because of the heat they produce, they would poop raw diamonds. Dany didn't know this, but the first time the dragons left a bunny trail, she saw what she had on her hands, literally (disgusting little buggers really). Have you ever seen dragon poop on the show? No. Why? Because she has a Valyrian steel pooper scooper to collect all the dragon diamonds.

So, in order to cover where she is getting her vast hoard from (and where dragons get theirs, really), she is using the "looting" of Xaro's house.

True story.

Archived