HBO Renews Game of Thrones

Westeros

The cast is already drawing movie roles. It turns out the show, having only 10 episodes, and a plethora of characters, doesn't require that much filming time from any single actor. There's no reason to think this will ever change. I don't think this is a very realistic concern.

After the next two seasons some actors of course won't be in the story. Also, D and D are doing their own thing and having success with it. They have this thing probably planned out for 7 seasons. Also, GRRM has told them how the story ends and who finally ends up on the Iron Throne.

I wouldn't mind if the show surpassed the books.

Expected news is still good news (in this case)!

After the next two seasons some actors of course won't be in the story. Also, D and D are doing their own thing and having success with it. They have this thing probably planned out for 7 seasons. Also, GRRM has told them how the story ends and who finally ends up on the Iron Throne.

I wouldn't mind if the show surpassed the books.

Agreed. And I think you're probably right. D&D have already hinted that the show is nearly as "large" as its going to get, and I could easily see them really curtailing the amount of time spent in Dorne, the Iron Islands, or Mereen. And outside of those areas there just isn't enough content in AFFC/ADWD to justify more than 2 seasons (spread over 3 years). I could easily see it breaking down as:

Season 4: Finishing up ASOS and bringing in re-combined AFFC/ADWD material

Season 5: Re-combined AFFC/ADWD and bringing in some Book 6 material for characters where there isn't much else to go on (like Arya)

Season 6: Finishing up AFFC/ADWD and mostly using book 6

Season 7: Book 7

It's a tight schedule, and 8 seasons would probably be best, but it would do the show a lot of good to cut out the fluff that started appearing in later books. Also, this way HBO avoid having to renegotiate with any of the major actors, who are all on 7 year contracts right now. I could see season 7 being a 12 episode season to give it more time.

The Wire went five seasons on almost pure dialog. The Wire NEVER pulled ratings like GoT. As long as GoT is making money it will remain on HBO. The big thing, to me, is the source material. None of the other dramas had the story written for them, minus True Blood, which doesn't really follow the source very well anyway.

Come on HBO. You have a few months to get Conan back as the Mountain. Let Ian Whyte be a giant, a White Walker, the Wall, any other tall extra you need. BUT YOU HAVE TO GET CONAN FOR THE OBERYN/GREGOR DUEL. Conan's intensity is instrumental in making the duel a standout scene.

A thousand times yes. This is a must.

Wonderful news, if not surprising. Next season should be a lot of fun to see which direction the showrunners go with all the diverging storylines spanning parts of 3 books.

I think the show will get a full run and finish the source material, if True Blood is still going why not GoT.

The difference I see happening is that some or a lot of things will start to get condensed. 1 season for half of the last two books, 1 season for the last half of each. Depending on how the show is doing at that time, TWoW will get one or two seasons. The same for ADoS.

The general public is fickle, their affection will not last forever. Do not underestimate their intolerance of non traditional narratives and losing characters they have become attached to.

Technically they said "8 or 9 seasons", then they said "80 hours". Personally I think there's a minimum of 3 seasons in the AFFC/ADWD combo even if you cut out a heck of a lot of "fluff" as people keep calling it. For me personally it speaks to GRRM's mission to create a story that feels more like real life with all it's intricacies.

I think they're just saying 8 or 9 because that's the minimum it would take to tell any kind of story which will do justice to GRRM's books. What I suspect will happen is that if the series is doing well, they'll add material to the plot arcs of those characters who don't have that much to do. If the series is not doing (as) well they'll contract the plot arcs of those who have a lot to do. At some point during season 5 is when (depending how George is doing with TWOW among other things) they'll decide whether they're going to contract it hugely, otherwise I would put money on the "Mereenese knot" battle at the start of TWOW being the climax of season 7. If the series is doing well, they'll combine the rest of TWOW and ADOS into 2-3 seasons for a total of between 9-10 seasons. If it's doing really well and they let it breathe, I can see it going 11-12 seasons. My personal bet would be on 11 seasons, bearing in mind that it's only relatively recently that GRRM has started being more definite on 7 books, not 8 or more (I think that might be the lone concession to fans worried that he might die before he finishes the thing).

The one advantage of having such a huge cast is that each actor pretty much has at most a 3 month commitment each year. Most big name hollywood stars can work on up to 3 movies in a year, so it's not really that bad scheduling wise. The name recognition of working on Game of Thrones means they probably get to work on their preferred projects (stage/musical etc) outside of that time, so basically the only real limitation is the potential for someone major dying, but in that case I think they would just recast it.

My one request to people is to stop torrenting it and pay for the damn thing. It's worth it and I want to see it go all the way.

The fluff and history is why I like the later books.

But that's just me.

Weaving that into tv is much harder.

Still there is heaps of cool stuff work with especially as a recombination of AFDC and adwd will mean two-three seasons of solid material as the end of season 4 will see some early stuff from both those books I think.

Technically they said "8 or 9 seasons", then they said "80 hours". Personally I think there's a minimum of 3 seasons in the AFFC/ADWD combo even if you cut out a heck of a lot of "fluff" as people keep calling it. For me personally it speaks to GRRM's mission to create a story that feels more like real life with all it's intricacies.

I think they're just saying 8 or 9 because that's the minimum it would take to tell any kind of story which will do justice to GRRM's books. What I suspect will happen is that if the series is doing well, they'll add material to the plot arcs of those characters who don't have that much to do. If the series is not doing (as) well they'll contract the plot arcs of those who have a lot to do. At some point during season 5 is when (depending how George is doing with TWOW among other things) they'll decide whether they're going to contract it hugely, otherwise I would put money on the "Mereenese knot" battle at the start of TWOW being the climax of season 7. If the series is doing well, they'll combine the rest of TWOW and ADOS into 2-3 seasons for a total of between 9-10 seasons. If it's doing really well and they let it breathe, I can see it going 11-12 seasons. My personal bet would be on 11 seasons, bearing in mind that it's only relatively recently that GRRM has started being more definite on 7 books, not 8 or more (I think that might be the lone concession to fans worried that he might die before he finishes the thing).

The one advantage of having such a huge cast is that each actor pretty much has at most a 3 month commitment each year. Most big name hollywood stars can work on up to 3 movies in a year, so it's not really that bad scheduling wise. The name recognition of working on Game of Thrones means they probably get to work on their preferred projects (stage/musical etc) outside of that time, so basically the only real limitation is the potential for someone major dying, but in that case I think they would just recast it.

My one request to people is to stop torrenting it and pay for the damn thing. It's worth it and I want to see it go all the way.

I torrent, then buy FHD versions/blue ray.

It's the least I can do.

I'm not worried about AFFC/ADWD. While the books were good, they did have flaws. Since hindsight is 20/20, I think D&D will play with chronology (beyond just the geographical split, which they'd never do) and improve the pacing. I'm sure we'll get more scheming and maneuvering between Cersei and Margaery, for example.

I torrent, then buy FHD versions/blue ray.

It's the least I can do.

Fair enough. I guess we're lucky now in Australia that we can buy the HD version off itunes all of 10 hours after the premiere. I might finally get close to using my data allowance. It also makes for interesting Tuesday breakfast TV ;)

Not surprising after the record breaking premiere. Good thing that they chose to show it here in India on April 1 itself. I subscribed to HBO's premium channel for GoT and ad-free movies :)

One good thing about not having very big names is that they can be expected to stick around to the end even if it takes 7-8 years.

Yes, Bran and Sansa have 3 chapters in A Feast for Crows but they can EASILY be spread across 3 seasons, right?!

There is enough material for two seasons at the most, but that's just not practical. The story has a huge scope in AFfC and ADwD, but there isn't much material for all the individual arcs. That's why GRRM didn't split AFfC and ADwD based on chronology.

One season of AFfC and ADwD combined (with some in season 4 and some in season 6) would be best for the show.

Yes, Bran and Sansa have 3 chapters in A Feast for Crows but they can EASILY be spread across 3 seasons, right?!

There is enough material for two seasons at the most, but that's just not practical. The story has a huge scope in AFfC and ADwD, but there isn't much material for all the individual arcs. That's why GRRM didn't split AFfC and ADwD based on chronology.

One season of AFfC and ADwD combined (with some in season 4 and some in season 6) would be best for the show.

I think you're probably right. Next to nothing happens with Dany/Arya/Sansa/Bran and so on in Feast and Dance. Unless they really invest in the Iron Islands, Young Griff and Dorne plots, they probably can't squeeze two seasons there. Actually, no, I changed my mind, I think they can get two seasons with the aforementioned plots introduced and played well. But three would be over the top.

Although, this scares me. I don't want the show to catch up so quickly. Nor, I think, does the show. They have to know quite a few people would rather wait for the books and would abstain from the show until the books are done.

I think you're probably right. Next to nothing happens with Dany/Arya/Sansa/Bran and so on in Feast and Dance. Unless they really invest in the Iron Islands, Young Griff and Dorne plots, they probably can't squeeze two seasons there. Actually, no, I changed my mind, I think they can get two seasons with the aforementioned plots introduced and played well. But three would be over the top.

Although, this scares me. I don't want the show to catch up so quickly. Nor, I think, does the show. They have to know quite a few people would rather wait for the books and would abstain from the show until the books are done.

I'm sure D&D would prefer the book series to be done, but their first duty is to the show. Dragging out seasons or putting it on "hold" for a year or more (as I've sometimes seen suggested here) would be the death of it. They have to go full-steam ahead and damn the torpedoes. Which means I really think they're going to be following a path similar to the one I listed earlier, and elements of book six will start showing up in season 5, and be the primary focus of season 6.

That gives GRRM two more years to get book six out before the show catches up, doable, but not two likely. And even if he made, there's no way he'd get book seven out less than a year after that.

The other thing is, shows, particularly hour-long dramas, just don't last 9, 10, 11 seasons. Daytime soaps do, but that's about it. Even The Sopranos was only 6 (or 7, if you count the last as two) seasons; 86 episodes, but only 6 seasons.

It's a tight schedule, and 8 seasons would probably be best, but it would do the show a lot of good to cut out the fluff that started appearing in later books.

I'd like to see them wrap up AFFC/ADWD in a single half-season. They're the worst books and are complete fluff. Then D&D can just invent their own ending for the other half-season, since George will never be done. That would have them done in five seasons total and then we can move on to doing the Dunk and Egg series as machinima which would be far superior to Game of Thrones anyway.

Archived