[BOOK AND TV SPOILERS] littlefinger

tito5601

I personally liked his monologue. "Chaos is a ladder" is the perfect description of this character IMO. He took advantage of the war he had a great deal of responsability in starting (J.Arryn's death, betraying Ned...) to improve his status. He had a small keep in the Fingers at the beginning, and now he's Lord Paramount of the Riverlands and Lord Regent of the Vale. Not bad.

This is something I noticed, but each time Littlefinger is seen watching the throne, he is closer and closer. The first few times he was pretty far, but this time he was almost kissing the thing. It shows how it won't hit everyone how powerful LF has gotten until it's too late

I think it will be replaced by Shae.

Seems like it, tho it could be LF, much to Sansa's surprise, boy some convoluted plot restructuring , if that.

I am guessing Sansa and LF don't go to The Fingers, Sansa VI, but straight to the Eyrie, but that seems should to be next season.

Do you think the role that Dontos plays in the books is going to be replaced by Ros? I just wondered why they had her talk to Shae about Sansa.

So much for that :P

I keep saying but no one is listening, Dontos will be Dontos... Not Ros, not Shae, not anyone else.

This is something I noticed, but each time Littlefinger is seen watching the throne, he is closer and closer. The first few times he was pretty far, but this time he was almost kissing the thing. It shows how it won't hit everyone how powerful LF has gotten until it's too late

Gah, taht's awesome!

I am guessing Sansa and LF don't go to The Fingers, Sansa VI, but straight to the Eyrie, but that seems should to be next season.

That would be a pity. And miss out on LF and Lysa's loud, passionate lovemaking at LF's seat?

Also, they cannot have Shae become Dontos. Tyrion finding Shae in Tywin's bed is one of the big "Whaaaat!?" moments of the book. Also sets Tyrion upon his darkest path in the book.

The people over at winteriscoming.net also have a great synopsis of The Climb that is LF-centric, and well worth the read, IMO.

After re-watching the final scenes, I think there was a bit of foreshadow/answer the oft asked "Does LF know it was Lysa's, and not Catelyn's, maidenhead?"

LF reveals that society, and all it encompasses, like the 1000 swords of the throne, is a story told over and over to oneself, and others, until there is nothing left to believe otherwise, regardless if it is based wholly, or partially, in truth. In effect, I believe that LF believes he took Cat's maidenhead because, even after all these years, that which he knows began as a lie became the truth in the telling. It's the active vocalization, and the passive listening, in combination, that makes it true. Each is predicated on the other, and the "truth" of it cannot exist without both.

Thus, to make it true, LF had to speak it true, and others had to listen to that truth, and now it is the truth.

Frankly, that five minute montage was priceless in reality/illusion theme, and can be applied to almost every single character present on, or off, screen. Think Ned, as a traitor, or Tyrion as

kinslayer/kingslayer

---it doesn't become a punishable act without both the telling and the audience, which makes believing in both justice, in it's purest form, or benevolent gods rather infantile.

In this, LF mimics truths, and uses everything that his opponent believes in as the primary cause for for them to self-destruct. He doesn't destroy anyone outright, but allows them, by virtue of faith in whatever, the opportunity to destroy themselves. If no one believed in anything, LF couldn't destroy them. But that belief, as he eloquently points out, will always exist as it represents the basic human need to apply order to chaos, which provides the method by which he climbs, and simultaneously, they fall. Brilliant.

I don't know if anyone here watches Community (and I would understand if you'd quit watching this season!), but in the season finale there was an "Evil Jeff" that, to prove his badness, does something with his voice similarly raspy to what Littlefinger does with his - and remembering that is going to make it even harder for me to take Show-LF seriously. The lines of LF's monologue were good, and revealing himself **just to Varys** is fine, but it's like the rest of the time he's telling everyone, "Hi, I'm evil, but you still trust me. Ha ha!" His cartoonish villainy may be the only part of the show that consistently grates on me - how could anyone trust this guy? Sansa should be seeing him as a somewhat kindly uncle figure, but there's no way even show Sansa is that stupid (although maybe "Do you think my family can come to the wedding?" was perhaps an attempt to demonstrate she is indeed that dumb).

The people over at winteriscoming.net also have a great synopsis of The Climb that is LF-centric, and well worth the read, IMO.

After re-watching the final scenes, I think there was a bit of foreshadow/answer the oft asked "Does LF know it was Lysa's, and not Catelyn's, maidenhead?"

LF reveals that society, and all it encompasses, like the 1000 swords of the throne, is a story told over and over to oneself, and others, until there is nothing left to believe otherwise, regardless if it is based wholly, or partially, in truth. In effect, I believe that LF believes he took Cat's maidenhead because, even after all these years, that which he knows began as a lie became the truth in the telling. It's the active vocalization, and the passive listening, in combination, that makes it true. Each is predicated on the other, and the "truth" of it cannot exist without both.

Thus, to make it true, LF had to speak it true, and others had to listen to that truth, and now it is the truth.

Frankly, that five minute montage was priceless in reality/illusion theme, and can be applied to almost every single character present on, or off, screen. Think Ned, as a traitor, or Tyrion as

kinslayer/kingslayer

---it doesn't become a punishable act without both the telling and the audience, which makes believing in both justice, in it's purest form, or benevolent gods rather infantile.

In this, LF mimics truths, and uses everything that his opponent believes in as the primary cause for for them to self-destruct. He doesn't destroy anyone outright, but allows them, by virtue of faith in whatever, the opportunity to destroy themselves. If no one believed in anything, LF couldn't destroy them. But that belief, as he eloquently points out, will always exist as it represents the basic human need to apply order to chaos, which provides the method by which he climbs, and simultaneously, they fall. Brilliant.

Beautifully put, Birdsong & so true

OH DEAR LORD I was rewatching the scene when Barristan is dismissed from the Kingsguard, and after LF makes "a naked knight" comment and Barristan draws his sword, LF is seen biting his hand.

In light of this monologue, the scene seemed like a little kid excited for a present to be opened hahahaha.

It's almost like he wanted to start a fight. :P

OH DEAR LORD I was rewatching the scene when Barristan is dismissed from the Kingsguard, and after LF makes "a naked knight" comment and Barristan draws his sword, LF is seen biting his hand.

In light of this monologue, the scene seemed like a little kid excited for a present to be opened hahahaha.

It's almost like he wanted to start a fight. :P

That's because Littlefinger is the number one troll of the series. I almost everything he does is designed to get a rise out of people.

Apart from the raspy, overly sinister voice that I've gotten used to now, Aiden Gillen has been a lot better this season in conveying Littlefinger's subtle menace. This monologue, plus the scene with Sansa in ep5, where you could clearly see the masked anger in his eyes over things not going according to plan was a step in the right direction, and much closer to book Littlefinger.

I disagree when people say that show LF is too dark. Book LF was always an extremely dark, morally bankrupt figure. We just don't see this darker side to him often, but we do get occasional glimpses of it in the books as well.

• 1 month later...

Not sure if this hss been mentioned but does anyone think it's possible that LF was not on the boat and is still in KL? It gives him a perfect alibi for the PW and lets him still whisk away Sansa when the time comes. I mean you never actually see him leave and the dialogue with Varys gives some foreshadowing to what is to come?

Archived