[Book Spoilers] The Lack of Northern Bannermen

Blackf1sh

I don't agree with most of the criticisms I have seen but I do think this is one of the more valid ones, especially since there is some inkling that the Greatjon actor, like the mountains actor, seems to be getting blackballed from the show for not honoring their commitment, since both seemed to suggest they would be happy to come back. I can understand the showrunners discontent, but its going to come at the expense of the show, and I think when everything is all said and done they are going to regret it. I don't think the RW works as well if its just Robb, cat and tullys, it should feel much more complex then that.

I'm not sure how the non book reader TV audience feels about Robb. They may have defaulted to Robb after Ned died. My wife has shifted to supporting Dany because she thinks she has the least chance of dying. No joke.

I'm not saying you are wrong. But I do think they should tread carefully. A lot of posters set ASoS down for a while after the RW, but picked it back up. TV audiences are more fickle and might think they are being trolled by the show. You are right that it may just end up being Cat and Robb and few people nobody can recognize. That's why I think they are softening the impact because of audience blowback

I have to admit that even as a reader I'm a bit jaded, post-RW. For example, I'm not taking the bait on the Manderly Northern conspiracy thing.

This has never made any sense to me. The idea that viewers would outright stop watching the show because a couple characters die. That the RW is SO HEINOUS that it has to be dialed back. Nonsense. It's a cool scene. Some characters are off'd (and really only one stays dead). People's eyes aren't going to melt in their skulls like fucking Raiders. A few gasps, a ton of stupid youtube reaction video's, and every one of them back the next week.

I don't agree with most of the criticisms I have seen but I do think this is one of the more valid ones, especially since there is some inkling that the Greatjon actor, like the mountains actor, seems to be getting blackballed from the show for not honoring their commitment, since both seemed to suggest they would be happy to come back. I can understand the showrunners discontent, but its going to come at the expense of the show, and I think when everything is all said and done they are going to regret it. I don't think the RW works as well if its just Robb, cat and tullys, it should feel much more complex then that.

Yeah I was never one to bitch and complain about the show but the lack of Northern bannermen who are clearly loyal to Robb is a huge downfall. I loved the guy who played the Greatjon and I wanted to see him punch Karstark in the gut when he was talking smack, I wanted to see him drunk at the wedding fighting for his life. I wanted to see Glovers and Manderlys and the lady Mormonts.... If all you are going to show is discontent among the people who are fighting for the King, some of the smarter viewers will pick up on that and figure something bad will happen.

I'm just hoping that Dacey Mormont gets some role, as she had a very memorable part in the RW.

The actor who played Polliver (and the character) wasn't announced or even mentioned before he appeared, and he had a few lines and appeared in a couple of episodes, so it could happen...

I think a change that would be for the best, would be the Blackfish getting killed, seeing how there appears to be a deficit of recognizable faces to be massacred. If he's set up as a complete badass like his in the books, it would be effective. As long as he isn't of to great importance in WoW and DoS ofc. (yes, I realise he's in FfC, but I'm guessing that whole Riverrun sequence wont be in the series.

I don't think, or at least I hope that the Blackfisch doesn't get killed. It will be nice in the tv show to have the Blackfish in Riverrun being the last major Stark loyalist, and furthermore his conversation with Jamie at Riverrun is one of the best parts of aFfC. Since this book is quite boring compared to the other books they hopefully include it in whats probably season 5 by then.

But lets hope they did cast some minor supporting character actors, which havent been announced, for roles such as Mormont or the Smalljon (or maybe a recast of the Greatjon).

Archived