Ygritte (book spoilers)

The only real question for the adaptation is whether she'll die by Jon's hand.

I hope not, too, but its TV... somebody might command Jon to do it since he did not do it the first time - to test him.

..........but still, I hope not.

I thought originally that they might keep her alive just because the character is so well liked my fans as well as the actress, along with the fact it keeps a romantic element to the show's plot. However I would be disappointed if she isn't killed; her death is so important and it would be very strange for the later plot with her hanging around.

I thought originally that they might keep her alive just because the character is so well liked my fans as well as the actress, along with the fact it keeps a romantic element to the show's plot. However I would be disappointed if she isn't killed; her death is so important and it would be very strange for the later plot with her hanging around.

Welcome to the forum, first time poster! :)

I agree with you that she must die, actually I did not even consider the idea she might not in the show.

There's also the fact that her character is COMPLETELY different to Val's and the fulfill COMPLETELY different functions in the story. If Val was at all like Ygritte, she'd be unnecessary to the story. There's absolutely no way Stannis would buy Ygritte as a queen, and there is absolutely no way Jon can have a woman he's in love with around the wall after he's rejoined the Night's Watch.

Also, the REAL reason Ygritte had to die wasn't to make Jon's character grow (that was just a fortunate consequence), it was because Martin needed to get rid of her because there is no place for her character once Jon goes back to the wall.

In this world this is more likely to be a reason to kill a character off!

Ygritte will die

I can't remember the details of the Battle (Skirmish?) at Castle Black, seems Wildings retreated...

It's just a speculation , D and D like Rose a lot, that they may let her escape back and finally be killed in season 4 in the battle for the Wall.

Seems a shame to hire an actress as good as her for only two seasons. (I know Sean Bean lasted only 9 episodes!... but then that was a very big plot pivot.)

The whole biz about Val is now odd, I mean they have 9 episodes to introduce her, but those scenes should have been shot by now and I have not see someone cast. Kinda weird, because Val does play a very important part later.

Was Stephanie Blacker actually hired by the show?

She does not show up in the previews or the rumors anymore?

She Val?

Violet! That's not a Wildling name!

Yara could be a Greyjoy name (tho at this late date I still don't understand that one!), if they want to rename her , lord!, D and D should hire a 'namer' or ask GRRM because they seem to have a tin ear for renamed character names!

Yara could be a Greyjoy name (tho at this late date I still don't understand that one!), if they want to rename her , lord!, D and D should hire a 'namer' or ask GRRM because they seem to have a tin ear for renamed character names!

lol I couldn't agree more

• 4 weeks later...

Nope, her death is a dramatic moment that D&D can't possibly think of passing up. It'll make for awesome TV. Besides, Val has already been cast, so it's likely the showrunners have thought this through.

The only real question for the adaptation is whether she'll die by Jon's hand.

I agree completely after all there really is no place for her at the wall, they really cant try and mesh these completely different character together. and its such a great heart wrenching dramatic deep scene, its cinematic gold! only an idiot would pass up the opportunity to include that. also in the books Jon in mostly sure that it wasn't his arrow, but earlier in the same book he questioned the colour of Ygrittes arrow after it went through his leg, grey or white? I think his was placed in there to not only make him question if it in actual fact was his or not, but to make us think. IMHO I think it was his arrow but he simply was not in a situation where he could let him self believe it. I am suuuuper interested to see what they do with this scene, it really is the only question.. for me.

Ygrittes death scene is one of the best (if not the best) death scenes in the series. No self-respecting director/writer/actor would decline to be a part of such a scene.

exactly! ;D

I can't remember the details of the Battle (Skirmish?) at Castle Black, seems Wildings retreated...

It's just a speculation , D and D like Rose a lot, that they may let her escape back and finally be killed in season 4 in the battle for the Wall.

Seems a shame to hire an actress as good as her for only two seasons. (I know Sean Bean lasted only 9 episodes!... but then that was a very big plot pivot.)

The whole biz about Val is now odd, I mean they have 9 episodes to introduce her, but those scenes should have been shot by now and I have not see someone cast. Kinda weird, because Val does play a very important part later.

Was Stephanie Blacker actually hired by the show?

She does not show up in the previews or the rumors anymore?

She Val?

I think they just might just do that! I was considering they might leave us with a cliff hanger at the beginning of the battle where the wildlings are approaching, or have clearly finished with moletown, so that we would have to wait for next season to see the battle and her death. that would mean they would have to stretch the rest of Jons storyline over 4 more episodes, which I think they could easily do, ep 7 cant be the scene at queens crown, Brans storyline just isn't set up for that yet (he still needs to ditch Rickon and Osha). we could just have one scene with Jon (as every episode that as has jon in it this season -aside from 6)where the wildlings have left the wall and maybe the little conflict with Orell, maybe some traveling or hunting by the looks of the trailer. then e8 looks to be a very heavy Dany episode, it could have no Jon at all. e9 could be QC and jon leaving. e10 could be jon arriving at the nightswatch. or something like that, these arnt really my predictions just pointing out it could be easy for the to stretch it. but when presented with your idea I would much rather that be what they decide to do than what I previously thought. that is IF hey decide to keep her Rose Lesley for an extra season.

we don't know for sure that she IS a wildling, Mance says he came upon Val and Dalla when returning from winterfell, he didn't specify which side of the wall the encounter took place.

Archived