Tyrion is a Targaryen (His Siblings may be as well)

mattah84

What do you mean "we don't know how the Lannister bloodline originated". We actually know quite alot. There were Lannister kings in Casterly Rock long before the Targaryen arrived. We know it's an Andal House, that probably has it's origin in the Andal invasions. We know they consider themselves decendants of Lann the Clever on the female side, which probably means the first Lannister King married a First Men Princess of Casterly Rock (since Lann the Clever's decendants probably held the Rock before the Andals).

...Tyrion is Tywin's son, not you. I said so once to your father's face, and he would not speak to me for half a year.

This could also just be interpreted on how the kids turned out personality wise. Jaime doesn't take anything to seriously according to Cersei, and Tyrion though he is sarcastic alot, takes things seriously and is pretty intelligent from what we have seen. And Tywin not speaking to her for half a year, could reflect that he himself had doubts that Tyrion was really his kid, and her throwing the situation in his face like that pissed him off. If Tywin really thought that both Jaime and Tyrion were his sons, then why be so mad at the comment and not talk to her for half a year?

You really stretched the term kinslaying. Robb had killed Karstark, and although some people think that as kinslaying, no one in Westeros did. Tywin could have easily killed Tyrion without any fear of Godly retrebution.

Tywin gave Tyrion a worthy position, in the Small council. There can be only one Hand. And he gave him opportunity to rule half the Westeros through Sansa. Tyrion could have got much worse... Robb was alive, but Tywin was already orchastrating the RW.

Tywin and Joanna were probably much closer related then Robb Stark and Arnolf Karstark.

At least Tywin and Joanna had the same last name, and part of it didn't come from another family.

Of course he had no problem giving him a worthy position in the small council, Tyrion did a phenomenal job as Hand! Even though Tywin will never admit it to Tyrion, he knows that Tyrion did a good job organizing the defense of the city. However, his animosity towards Tyrion stemming from the possibility that he isn't his kid, prevents Tywin from congratulating Tyrion and thanking him for his service.

People seem to react with hostility to the idea that Tyrion is Aerys's son, not Tywin's. I think it couldn't be more obvious that Tyrion is Targaryen. GRRM dropped too many hints about this to dismiss it.

The most damning evidence to me is the fact that Tywin married his cousin. Isn't it odd that this great high Lord of Casterly Rock married a cousin "for love" instead of marrying someone from another great or significant house, which is the common practice for high lords?

The only way Tywin's marriage to Joanna makes sense is as a convenient plot device to hide Tyrion's true identity. Tyrion has Lannister looks, at least with the blond hair ("almost white", hmmm), which allows him to pass plausibly as a Lannister. He had to get those looks from a Lannister, and it couldn't have been Tywin if Aerys is the dad. So how does the author solve this problem? Simple, he has Tywin marry a Lannister, so Tyrion has a Lannister mother & some Lannister looks.

Bam, pow, bingo.

...Tyrion is Tywin's son, not you. I said so once to your father's face, and he would not speak to me for half a year.

This could also just be interpreted on how the kids turned out personality wise. Jaime doesn't take anything to seriously according to Cersei, and Tyrion though he is sarcastic alot, takes things seriously and is pretty intelligent from what we have seen. And Tywin not speaking to her for half a year, could reflect that he himself had doubts that Tyrion was really his kid, and her throwing the situation in his face like that pissed him off. If Tywin really thought that both Jaime and Tyrion were his sons, then why be so mad at the comment and not talk to her for half a year?

As you said he didn't talked to her for half a year because she said that his "son" was Tyrion and not his gold hero Jaime. But you haven't answered to my earlier points.

Tywin and Joanna were probably much closer related then Robb Stark and Arnolf Karstark.

At least Tywin and Joanna had the same last name, and part of it didn't come from another family.

Of course he had no problem giving him a worthy position in the small council, Tyrion did a phenomenal job as Hand! Even though Tywin will never admit it to Tyrion, he knows that Tyrion did a good job organizing the defense of the city. However, his animosity towards Tyrion stemming from the possibility that he isn't his kid, prevents Tywin from congratulating Tyrion and thanking him for his service.

You know, some parents don`t like their kids. Just ask my mum :)

Lannisters of CR and Lannisters of Lannisport are two branches. Tywin and Joanna could have been some distant relatives, but they aren`t close enough to call it kinslaying.

And if Tyrion expected `congratulations` from Tywin, he couldn`t be more wrong. And in this, Cersei, Jaime and Tyrion are all same in Tywin`s eyes.

The only way Tywin's marriage to Joanna makes sense is as a convenient plot device to hide Tyrion's true identity. Tyrion has Lannister looks, at least with the blond hair ("almost white", hmmm), which allows him to pass plausibly as a Lannister. He had to get those looks from a Lannister, and it couldn't have been Tywin if Aerys is the dad. So how does the author solve this problem? Simple, he has Tywin marry a Lannister, so Tyrion has a Lannister mother & some Lannister looks.

Bam, pow, bingo.

Honestly, have you read the books? Do you know how long Tywin and Joanna were married before Tyrion`s birth? The idea that their marriage served as device to hide Tyrion`s identity is, how to say it and not insult you, well... I can`t, and I don`t want to insult you. So, you get it?

Honestly, have you read the books? Do you know how long Tywin and Joanna were married before Tyrion`s birth? The idea that their marriage served as device to hide Tyrion`s identity is, how to say it and not insult you, well... I can`t, and I don`t want to insult you. So, you get it?

You can insult me as much as you want, but I stand by my words. I don't care how long Tywin & Joanna were married before Tyrion's birth. Tyrion is Targaryen.

The evidence is everywhere, including:

- Tywin's ambiguous words to Tyrion about how he can't prove Tyrion isn't his & the infamous "you are not my son";

- Selmy's stories of Aerys sexually harassing Joanna;

- Tyrion's dragon dreams and fascination;

- the plot device of having Tywin marry his cousin, which is freakish for a Westeros great lord; and perhaps most importantly

- the title of book 5 - "A Dance with Dragons".

About the last one, actual dragons weren't the focus of the book. So why the title? What dragons are dancing? Well, figure it out - the dragon has 3 heads, 3 Targaryen heads. Book 5 was mainly about the personal journeys of 3 characters - Tyrion, Dany, & Jon. THOSE are your 3 "dragons" that are "dancing".

Wait and see. I will be right, and will serve delicious fried crow! :)

I don’t think so but lets see.

Lancel and Tommen don’t have Lannister gold either. I think that Kevan was described as yellow not gold either. Devan was also yellow.

So it has to be "dragon dreams" and not the imagination of a child?

That is gossip. There is no proof that he actually done anything.

So you say that Targs don’t get sick because at this case the Great Spring Sickness disagree(s) vigorously and the dead Daeron the Good, Valarr and Matarys Targs all of them.

Not too sure about Lancel and Tommen, that is interesting. Maybe the White Hair can't really be used as a strong indicator of Targaryen Blood as I thought. However, the Targaryens did have Silver Hair, so if a Lannister was part Targaryen it does make sense for their hair to be Whitish Gold. As far as Kevan and Devan, them having Yellow hair instead of gold, is not the same as per say Tyrion having Whitish Gold Hair instead of just Gold.

It could just be the imagination of a child I guess. But of all the things for GRRM to say that Tyrion had dreams about, why choose Dragons? And why have him say he used to imagine feeding his father and uncle to the fire?

It is just gossip that Aerys lusted after Joanna. But usually gossip starts one way or another, and we don't know how that gossip started. So it is just as likely that Aerys did lust after Joanna, as it is likely that he didn't. However, being that GRRM put that gossip into the storyline, maybe it means something to the storyline.

I was trying to make a point that there is something special about Tyrion, not that all Targaryens are immune to disease. However, some probably are. Danaerys is somewhat immune to fire, as only her hair burned when she walked into Drogo's Pyre. Tyrion fell into the water and had to be pulled out. However, when Tyrion was pulled out, NOTHING happened to him. But we have heard about a ton of people geting the Grey Scale from that water, Jon Connington has it for one. But my point was that Tyrion did not get it so there has to be something special about him. Kind of like there is something special about Danaerys when it comes to Fire.

I know that mothers dying during childbirth is not something that can only be placed on Targ Babies. But it is something that links Dany, Jon Snow, and Tyrion. Those three babies happen to be significantly more important to the storyline then the other babies that you pointed out. How are they far more significant?? They have all had their own POVs since AGOT.

As you said he didn't talked to her for half a year because she said that his "son" was Tyrion and not his gold hero Jaime. But you haven't answered to my earlier points.

Yeah but the point is that Tywin got SOOOO mad about it. If Tywin genuinely felt that Jaime was his kid and not Aerys', then why would Tywin be so mad about it? He was probably so mad about it because Tyrion is the one that he has always questioned whether or not he was his kid, and he was being told that Tyrion is actually more like him then Jaime. That is why he was so mad. If Tywin didn't have any reservations with regards to Tyrion being his son, I can't see any other reason for him to be so mad and not talk to her for a half a year.

You know, some parents don`t like their kids. Just ask my mum :)

Lannisters of CR and Lannisters of Lannisport are two branches. Tywin and Joanna could have been some distant relatives, but they aren`t close enough to call it kinslaying.

And if Tyrion expected `congratulations` from Tywin, he couldn`t be more wrong. And in this, Cersei, Jaime and Tyrion are all same in Tywin`s eyes.

I still think Tywin and Joanna were probably closer in relation then Robb Stark and Arnolf Karstark, but whatever.

And one BIG difference between Jaime and Tyrion in Tywin's eyes, is that Tywin would probably give Jaime Casterly Rock. Tywin would never give Tyrion Casterly Rock, despite Jaime being in the Kingsguard. So to me anyway, this says that part of Tywin may feel that Tyrion is not his kid, but Tywin can't prove it, so he just resents Tyrion and is very cruel to him. However, on the small chance that he is his kid, he feeds and clothes him, and he takes care of him.

I don't remember Tywin being so cruel to Jaime, until Jaime refused to go back to Casterly Rock and said his place was in the Kingsguard. I also don't remember Tywin being as cruel to Cersei as he was to Tyrion.

Selmy said evertime a Targ is born, the gods flip a coin. On one side, greatness, the other, madness. Twins Cersei and jaime are the two sides of the same coin. Cersei is madness and Jaime Greatness. they have the natural Targ sibling sex lust for each other and Selmy says that Aerys took certain "liberties" with Joanna Lannister during her and Tywin's bedding ceremony. Tyrion though is Tywin's son and ONLY child. That is the irony in this situation. The one child Tywin did not want is the only one that IS his.

I still think Tywin and Joanna were probably closer in relation then Robb Stark and Arnolf Karstark, but whatever.

And one BIG difference between Jaime and Tyrion in Tywin's eyes, is that Tywin would probably give Jaime Casterly Rock. Tywin would never give Tyrion Casterly Rock, despite Jaime being in the Kingsguard. So to me anyway, this says that part of Tywin may feel that Tyrion is not his kid, but Tywin can't prove it, so he just resents Tyrion and is very cruel to him. However, on the small chance that he is his kid, he feeds and clothes him, and he takes care of him.

I don't remember Tywin being so cruel to Jaime, until Jaime refused to go back to Casterly Rock and said his place was in the Kingsguard. I also don't remember Tywin being as cruel to Cersei as he was to Tyrion.

Closer yes, but still not close for kinslaying.

There is a difference between Jaime and Tyrion. Jaime is the son any father would want. Handsome, capable knight, the youngest member of KG. Tyrion is, as Tywin said, curse sent by Gods. But, Tywin has the same rules for all of his children. You won`t disobbey me. Remember how he treated Cersei when her marriage was in question, how Jaime was treated after denying CR. We know that Tywin was furious when Jaime joined KG.

Tywin is not cruel to Tyrion in the books (not Tysha part), he is authoritarian, and resentful. He hates Tyrion because he is a stain on Tywin`s golden armor. And being resentful isn`t enough proof to say Tyrion isn`t his son.

It could just be the imagination of a child I guess. But of all the things for GRRM to say that Tyrion had dreams about, why choose Dragons? And why have him say he used to imagine feeding his father and uncle to the fire?

When Tyrion was a child, Tywin was still Hand to Aerys Targaryen. House Targaryen represented the only force more powerful than his father, so Tyrion dreaming about dragons makes perfect sense, because he was dreaming about destroying Tywin and the only person more powerful than Tywin was associated with dragons.

I was trying to make a point that there is something special about Tyrion, not that all Targaryens are immune to disease. However, some probably are. Danaerys is somewhat immune to fire, as only her hair burned when she walked into Drogo's Pyre. Tyrion fell into the water and had to be pulled out. However, when Tyrion was pulled out, NOTHING happened to him. But we have heard about a ton of people geting the Grey Scale from that water, Jon Connington has it for one. But my point was that Tyrion did not get it so there has to be something special about him. Kind of like there is something special about Danaerys when it comes to Fire.

Targaryens are not immune to disease at all (I think it's pretty abundantly obvious that Viserys was talking out of his ass on that one). (And Dany isn't immune to fire---the pyre was a one-off magical event, not evidence of some preexisting "special" ability on Dany's part.) I really don't see how Tyrion's failure to catch greyscale can in any conceivable way point to him having Aerys for a father. Shireen Baratheon descends from a Targaryen princess, and Targ blood certainly didn't protect her from getting greyscale. Even more importantly, a legend has sprung up about how greyscale was created specifically to target "the lords of fire"---i.e., the Valyrian dragonriders that destroyed the Rhoynish civilization. Legends don't spring up about how a disease specifically targets a certain group if that group ever had any immunity whatsoever to that disease.

If Tyrion has any "special" immunity to greyscale---something which is far from certain---I'd say looking to his really obvious genetic issue makes much more sense than assuming he must be a part of a family with no history of greyscale immunity and which was a member of a class (dragonriders) that legends say were specifically targeted by greyscale. I mean, we've never seen a dwarf with greyscale---for all we know, the same genetic issue that causes dwarfism in this world also prevents infection by greyscale.

Yeah but the point is that Tywin got SOOOO mad about it. If Tywin genuinely felt that Jaime was his kid and not Aerys', then why would Tywin be so mad about it?

Because Tyrion's a dwarf. Tywin was pissed off because Genna was telling him he had more in common with the hated dwarf, someone he later refers to as the gods' punishment of him, than with the shining golden perfect son. There is no reason whatsoever to expect or require a different reason, because the reason we're given is more than sufficient to explain Tywin's attitude.

- the plot device of having Tywin marry his cousin, which is freakish for a Westeros great lord

According to GRRM, there's a perfectly logical reason for Tywin to marry Joanna (that had nothing to do with Tywin . . . somehow . . . trying to preemptively cover up the true paternity of a blond-haired child that will be born, like, a decade after the marriage actually takes place): the marriage makes perfect sense because House Lannister had too many branches, and in a place like Westeros, too many potential heirs = inter-family civil war: http://www.westeros.org/Citadel/SSM/Entry/Asshai.com_Interview_in_Barcelona/

We see marriages that are almost always between families seeking to ally themselves to one another. Given this context, it always seemed strange that the marriage of Tywin Lannister was to a first cousin, and even stranger when you consider how pragmatic and ambitious Tywin was. Or was it truly a love match?

Noble houses usually make marriages of convenience to build alliances. As a matter of fact, it's a common practice not only among the noble class, but also among the middle class and even among peasants: If somebody has a piece of land, he marries his daughter with somebody who has an even bigger piece of land, in the hope that all that land will belong to his grandchildren some day.

About Tywin......Probably.

It could be love, but there is another clear motive, which is to reinforce the family's bloodline. The Targayren are the extreme example of that policy: they only marry within the family to keep the purity of the blood, and that way you avoid the problem of having several candidates for the throne or the rule of the family. If you have a generation of five brothers and each of them has several children (sons?), after two or three generations you could find yourself with thirty potential heirs: there could be thirty people named Lannister or Frey, and that produces confict, because all of them are going to get involved in hereditary fights for the throne. That's what originated the War of the Roses; An excess of candidates for the throne, all of them descendants of Edward III. Laking a heir (like Henry VIII) is just as bad as having too many of them. If you have five sons and you want to avoid that kind of problem, maybe it's not such a bad idea to marry the firstborn girl of the oldest son with the third son (or with the firstborn of the third son?), and that way you avoid fights and the bloodline remains united, so maybe that was the purpose of Tywin's marriage. Maybe it was Lord Tytos' idea, or maybe even Tywin's grandfather's idea, it depends on which was the exact time in which the marriage alliance was brokered, but I would have to check my notes because I can't remember.

Tywin's marriage to Joanna isn't strange at all, because House Lannister's overabundance of heirs rendered an inter-familial marriage politically necessary.

About the last one, actual dragons weren't the focus of the book. So why the title?

I hope you realize that, by your same argument, the POV characters in AFFC all had to be associated with crows, right?

According to GRRM, there's a perfectly logical reason for Tywin to marry Joanna (that had nothing to do with Tywin . . . somehow . . . trying to preemptively cover up the true paternity of a blond-haired child that will be born, like, a decade after the marriage actually takes place): the marriage makes perfect sense because House Lannister had too many branches, and in a place like Westeros, too many potential heirs = inter-family civil war: http://www.westeros....w_in_Barcelona/

Tywin's marriage to Joanna isn't strange at all, because House Lannister's overabundance of heirs rendered an inter-familial marriage politically necessary.

GRRM was put on the spot by this unexpected question, hesitated at length before answering, and spit out an answer because he had to. Tywin's marriage to a cousin is unusual; we see no analogous situations with other great lords. There is every reason for this to raise a big red flag.

I hope you realize that, by your same argument, the POV characters in AFFC all had to be associated with crows, right?

Book 4 was titled A Feast for Crows because it was about the aftermath of the war and the carnage and devastation it brought to the realm. Lots of dead bodies for crows to feast on. This, I thought, was pretty obvious. Your remark is bizarre.

When Tyrion was a child, Tywin was still Hand to Aerys Targaryen. House Targaryen represented the only force more powerful than his father, so Tyrion dreaming about dragons makes perfect sense, because he was dreaming about destroying Tywin and the only person more powerful than Tywin was associated with dragons.

Targaryens are not immune to disease at all (I think it's pretty abundantly obvious that Viserys was talking out of his ass on that one). (And Dany isn't immune to fire---the pyre was a one-off magical event, not evidence of some preexisting "special" ability on Dany's part.) I really don't see how Tyrion's failure to catch greyscale can in any conceivable way point to him having Aerys for a father. Shireen Baratheon descends from a Targaryen princess, and Targ blood certainly didn't protect her from getting greyscale. Even more importantly, a legend has sprung up about how greyscale was created specifically to target "the lords of fire"---i.e., the Valyrian dragonriders that destroyed the Rhoynish civilization. Legends don't spring up about how a disease specifically targets a certain group if that group ever had any immunity whatsoever to that disease.

If Tyrion has any "special" immunity to greyscale---something which is far from certain---I'd say looking to his really obvious genetic issue makes much more sense than assuming he must be a part of a family with no history of greyscale immunity and which was a member of a class (dragonriders) that legends say were specifically targeted by greyscale. I mean, we've never seen a dwarf with greyscale---for all we know, the same genetic issue that causes dwarfism in this world also prevents infection by greyscale.

Because Tyrion's a dwarf. Tywin was pissed off because Genna was telling him he had more in common with the hated dwarf, someone he later refers to as the gods' punishment of him, than with the shining golden perfect son. There is no reason whatsoever to expect or require a different reason, because the reason we're given is more than sufficient to explain Tywin's attitude.

According to GRRM, there's a perfectly logical reason for Tywin to marry Joanna (that had nothing to do with Tywin . . . somehow . . . trying to preemptively cover up the true paternity of a blond-haired child that will be born, like, a decade after the marriage actually takes place): the marriage makes perfect sense because House Lannister had too many branches, and in a place like Westeros, too many potential heirs = inter-family civil war: http://www.westeros....w_in_Barcelona/

Your rationale about why Tyrion had the Dragon Dreams does seem to make perfect sense. I didn't think of it like that. But it is still wierd that Tyrion would be having a conversation about "Dragon" Dreams with Jon Snow, another potential Targaryen.

I never said that Targaryens were immune to disease. I said that Tyrion may be, indicating that there is something special about him. Tyrion fell into the water, Jon Connington jumped in the same water and saved him. We know there was Grey Scale in the water because Jon Connington got it, but Tyrion didn't end up with it. So I don't think it is too crackpot to say Tyrion may be immune to disease.

Also, with regards to Dany in Drogo's Pyre being a one off magical event, could you please explain how we know that it was a one off magical event? Obviously the Dragons being born was a pretty magical and a kind of one time thing, but as far Dany being immune to the fire, do we know that she for sure isn't?

Next, with regards to Tyrion turning out to be a Dwarf being the reason Tywin hated him so much, I guess you could reason that, but Tywin thinking Tyrion may not be his son makes so much more sense. Tyrion himself seems to think that he is a bastard and Tywin doesn't see him as his own kid. Who has a better point of view then the character themselves. Also, Tywin refers to Tyrion as the Gods Punishment of him, because everytime Tywin sees Tyrion, he doesn't see a dwarf that is definitely his son, he is seeing and hating a Dwarf that might not even be his son but he has no choice but to raise him as his own because he can't prove it.

I think that what a Bong of Ice and Fire was talking about is that Tywin's marriage to Joanna was used by GRRM to cover up Tyrion's truth, not actually by Tywin in the story. Tyrion was born after they were married, how would that work? But it was a marriage between two Lannisters, so it would provide some doubt that any of Tywn's kids could be anything but Lannister.

I never said that Targaryens were immune to disease. I said that Tyrion may be, indicating that there is something special about him. Tyrion fell into the water, Jon Connington jumped in the same water and saved him. We know there was Grey Scale in the water because Jon Connington got it, but Tyrion didn't end up with it. So I don't think it is too crackpot to say Tyrion may be immune to disease.

Also, with regards to Dany in Drogo's Pyre being a one off magical event, could you please explain how we know that it was a one off magical event? Obviously the Dragons being born was a pretty magical and a kind of one time thing, but as far Dany being immune to the fire, do we know that she for sure isn't?

Grey Scale doesn't work like that. Lemore bathed in the river everyday.

GRRM has said that Dany is not immune to fire. it was a one time thing. The quote is out there.

You can insult me as much as you want, but I stand by my words. I don't care how long Tywin & Joanna were married before Tyrion's birth. Tyrion is Targaryen.

The evidence is everywhere, including:

- the title of book 5 - "A Dance with Dragons".

About the last one, actual dragons weren't the focus of the book. So why the title? What dragons are dancing? Well, figure it out - the dragon has 3 heads, 3 Targaryen heads. Book 5 was mainly about the personal journeys of 3 characters - Tyrion, Dany, & Jon. THOSE are your 3 "dragons" that are "dancing".

Wait and see. I will be right, and will serve delicious fried crow! :)

Dany and the second dragon we meet in book 5, Aegon. The Dance of the Dragons 2 is coming.

Grey Scale doesn't work like that. Lemore bathed in the river everyday.

GRRM has said that Dany is not immune to fire. it was a one time thing. The quote is out there.

Yes, Septa Lemore bathed in the river everyday, but all we know about her is that she is a Septa for the Faith of the Seven. We don't really know anything about who her family is, and where she comes from. Tyrion also suspects that there is more to her than meets the eye. Are there other people besides Septa Lemore, Tyrion, and Jon Connington that we have seen go in the water and not get the Grey Scale?

GRRM did say something to the effect of, "Dany would probably not be able to walk into a fire and survive again". The key word in his answer to the question is "Probably". GRRM can't outright lie to his fans and say no she isn't immune to fire, and then have her turn out to be, if that is in fact the direction he is headed in. I for one think that she could be, and the answer he gave was the best possible one he could come up with without lying to his fans. It makes sense that if an author is put on the spot about one of the big mysteries in their book(s), and that if the story has not been completed as of yet, that they wouldn't outright lie to their fans to cover up, but they would try to find a way to keep things still a mystery and not give them away before the whole story is completed.

Also, when Dany leapt onto Drogon and left the fighting pit in Mereen, she was burned very similar to how she was in Drogo's Pyre. Her hair was burned, but the rest of her body was fine for the most part. So there are at least TWO occasions where Dany came into serious contact with some serious fire, and only her hair was burnt.

Archived