An Aged Missandei

LordStoneheart

How do you like Missandei being aged up for the show?

I really don't mind it because it didn't hit me until way later in aDwD that Missandei was supposed to be a child. I must have been reading too fast. There's speculation that Missandei will be the one having the scenes Irri was supposed to have. You know the ones I mean.

(digression: I totally hated that both Irri and Doreah didn't make it to this seasons. I actually liked that Doreah didn't die in the Red Waste like the books, but then they ruined her character... end of digression.)

Since the five-year gap was the plan at one point, I figure we would've saw a similar aged Missandei if that plan didn't fall through. So as it stands, I'm fine with the current Missandei. It won't give way to the Walt problem like it will for Bran and Rickon.

I think she'll work out fine, but it is just the first episode. D&D killing irri and doreah dosen't bother me much, neither does Xaro being gone. Xaro plays a large part in Dany's story, but not everything can be from the book to screen. I can't recall any important scenes in the book involving them (Doreah and Irri), other than that particular scene you mentioned, just a lot of "it is known".

"Walt" problem?

I think she'll work out fine, but it is just the first episode. D&D killing irri and doreah dosen't bother me much, neither does Xaro being gone. Xaro plays a large part in Dany's story, but not everything can be from the book to screen. I can't recall any important scenes in the book involving them (Doreah and Irri), other than that particular scene you mentioned, just a lot of "it is known".

"Walt" problem?

In the show Lost, the first three seasons take place in a few months, but the actor playing the only kid on the island, Walt, was aging too fast so they wrote his character out (not dead, just out of the picture). Bran and Rickon's portrayers will likely grow faster than the show's timeline moves. From the trailers, I think I already see that. Could be easily retconned by the writers, but that will make the storyline even more stretched out than the books. The same could happen to Arya, but in feast and dance it's suggested she's growing into her body so maybe not.

I have mixed feelings about this. My first thought was she is hot upon seeing her. My second thought was "shit she is going to be stupid". This second thought was brought on by her response of 'Truly?". A younger Missanei asking this would have been more understandable, but it still wouldn't fit her character imo. For an older Missandei to ask this made me think that her character will play a lesser role and be far less impressive. This may not be the case at all but those were my thoughts.

I guess I'm okay with it for now; as long as it's not the first step in the direction that Spartacus has taken of sex, horrid one-liners, and poor cgi battles.

I don't mind. They've aged up all the younger characters, and I think it's good that they did the same with Missandei. Dany's arc in Astapor and Meereen is pretty brutal and graphic, and I don't think having a little girl mixed up in all that would have been a good choice.

I have mixed feelings about this. My first thought was she is hot upon seeing her. My second thought was "shit she is going to be stupid". This second thought was brought on by her response of 'Truly?". A younger Missanei asking this would have been more understandable, but it still wouldn't fit her character imo. For an older Missandei to ask this made me think that her character will play a lesser role and be far less impressive. This may not be the case at all but those were my thoughts.

Or it may be a sign of her recognizing that Dany understand what's being said and intentionally yanking her master's chain.

It's a change that does not bother me much, to be honest. And the actress is OK. However, I fear that they'll go overboard using her for repetitive lesbian scenes with Dany. Too much of that would hurt Dany as a character, I'm afraid.

Yup, Missandei is definitely the hottest character on the show now imho :).

Regarding the Walt problem: It'll be pretty weird when Bran is an adolescent during his dance stuff in the show. There's just no way to avoid it. I'm happy they try to age up as many charachters as possible because of this.

It's a change that does not bother me much, to be honest. And the actress is OK. However, I fear that they'll go overboard using her for repetitive lesbian scenes with Dany. Too much of that would hurt Dany as a character, I'm afraid.

It would also ruin the relationship between Dany and Missandei, as I see it in the books. They love each other dearly, but their relationship is like that of two sisters, or a mother and daughter, rather than two lovers.

IMHO, showing them as lesbian lovers would be the worst sort of fanservice.

I was actually a little dissapointed for two reasons.

First, Missandei's cleverness is much more charming for the fact that she is just 10 years old. The innocent naivete behind some of her remarks, especially in her scenes with the Butcher in aDwD are so much better because a CHILD is capable of such cutting remarks!

Second, Dany is being set up as

the mother to all those slaves she frees

That role would really be emphasized for the tv viewers if Missandei is a child. In the books we know that Dany sees herself like this because of her internal monologue. But we don't get that in the tv show. That's why I wish D&D had visually emphasized this roles that Dany takes on by keeping Missandei a child.

There's so much higher chance of getting a good actor if you aren't casting a child. D&D lucked out with several child actors but as good as Maisie Williams has been as Arya, she was found very late in the process and apparently no other girl had been close to her. It seems smart to make Missandei older since it's a far smaller role and less work can go into casting her. Nothing of real importance will change either and it will be easier to give her actions made by other characters in the books this way.

All characters have been aged up as well so in terms of the shows normal standards she'd still be about in her mid teens, so the change is also smaller than it might seem at first glance.

It would also ruin the relationship between Dany and Missandei, as I see it in the books. They love each other dearly, but their relationship is like that of two sisters, or a mother and daughter, rather than two lovers.

IMHO, showing them as lesbian lovers would be the worst sort of fanservice.

I would be shocked if they didn't have at least one sex scene between them. I don't think they are really going to be "lovers" though - Irri and Dany aren't really "lovers" in the book ... it's just a weird sexual frustration thing in which Irri/Missandei feel sort of obliged, but happy to help (slave mentality). I don't think it's a big deal of a change, tbh. The show can't preserve every relationship in exactly the same way as it was in the books.

My second thought was "shit she is going to be stupid". This second thought was brought on by her response of 'Truly?". A younger Missanei asking this would have been more understandable, but it still wouldn't fit her character imo.

She is a slave. When given a seemingly-ridiculous order she has to at least consider following it or risk being punished for failing to do so.

She is a slave. When given a seemingly-ridiculous order she has to at least consider following it or risk being punished for failing to do so.

I agree with you. Slaves aren't meant to think for themselves in the manner free people do, they are meant to do what the are told and suffer if they don't.

On a separate note I'm also still surprised at how many people there are having trouble with characters seemingly not acting smart all of the time. That seems like it would just create less interesting and realistic fiction.

Archived