Why do the Nights Watch wear black?

King of Winters

I was watching an interview with Kit Harrington and in it he says why do the Nights Watch wear black when they're in the snow. So my question is why do they wear black? So if anyone has any ideas about why they do wear black please do tell me. Or if I've missed something in the books that explains it tell me, if it is in the books I've completely forgotten so sorry if it's in the books.

I've only found 2 explanations:

-Mormont's joke in ASOS about they being dressed in black so they are ready to their own burial;

-As a way to Martin subvert the evil=dark good=white cliche.

Another that i just made up is that black cloth is cheaper, as it do not need to be dyed.

There's also something about black covering everything, symbolizing that by "taking the black" all their previous transgressions are covered over - but okay, that same argument could be made if they were wearing white.

Maybe it's just because of the many hilariously racist-sounding references to Black Brothers when taken out of context? (no, not really)

Well you know they are in a very cold place and black and color black generally absorbs all sunlight which makes them feel a little bit warmer.

Black is also a color of shame maybe before Nghts King they wore different colors but also there are criminals inside the watch.They can't wear white because that is KGs color so they choose black.

Maybe so they can be spotted better if they need a rescue in the snow. Also, the wildlings wear white (I think?) so if the watch wore also black it might have been confusing. Plus, the NW real job is to guard the realm from the Others, so maybe they use black as an antithesis to WHITEwalkers.

Or maybe GRRM thought black colour has better aesthetics in the readers' eyes for an army of prisoners/mostly scumbags.

Well you know they are in a very cold place and black and color black generally absorbs all sunlight which makes them feel a little bit warmer.

Black is also a color of shame maybe before Nghts King they wore different colors but also there are criminals inside the watch.They can't wear white because that is KGs color so they choose black.

Except the NW predates the KG by 7,700 years.

They date back to the age of heros and the Kings Guard was founded by Aegon the Conqueror.

Archived