Tyrion's whore ( book spoilers)

Lord Martin

So my fiancé, a non book reader asked me a question I couldn't puzzle out.

She asked, if Tywin knows about Tyrion's whore at court, then why is Shae still alive and serving Sansa? How is that Tywin was told that Tyrion had a whore there but has no idea it's Shae?

Without the Chataya storyline it doesn't make much sense.

Any thoughts?

Cersei told him that he had a whore but she thinks it's Ros, not Shae. In season 2 she had her guards beat her up thinking that it's his whore (similar to what happens in the books with Alayaya). So no one really knows that Shae is Tyrion's whore except Varys.

Isn't it possible that shae reports to Tywin. I don't remember the book that well, but I sort of remember thinking to myself after everything went down that she had been working for tywin if not all along at least for a while. On the show we have that one scene where shae tells sansa at blackwater that she has to see someone and I'm pretty convinced that someone isn't tyrion, so if not him, then who.

Isn't it possible that shae reports to Tywin. I don't remember the book that well, but I sort of remember thinking to myself after everything went down that she had been working for tywin if not all along at least for a while. On the show we have that one scene where shae tells sansa at blackwater that she has to see someone and I'm pretty convinced that someone isn't tyrion, so if not him, then who.

I'm not sure if they will go that route on the show. In the novels it's clear that either Shae has always sort of worked under Tywin but in the show considering Shae's greatly changed character it would be pretty...unexpected at least. There is a chance that Shae and Tyrion have a falling out after his fall from grace and marriage to Sansa, and he could find Shae with Tywin later, but I don't think they'll make it so she was always a Lannister super-agent-slut or whatever.

My theory is that she was hired by Tywin from the get go in order to keep Tyrion's whoring under wraps. He knew he couldn't get him to stop entirely so he got a girl that could serve that purpose but keep him from sleeping with every whore is sight and thus destroying the family reputation. And there is the fact that Shae says that she is not low born but refuses to talk anymore about her family. It would fit that Tywin wouldn't want his son with anyone low born, even as his whore.

I know that Tywin forbids him to take Shae to King's Landing but the way he says it, it's like he's baiting him into doing it. He might not have even thought of taking her if his dad hadn't put the seed in his head. It might have even originally been Tywin who thought to make her Sansa's maid, as an additional set of eyes on the Starks. I think what she wasn't expecting was that she would actually grow to love Tyrion. I believe that her offer to run away with him at the end of season 2 was legitimate. When he says no she has this look of resignation and hopelessness on her face.

A better question would be is how come this whore is so freely galavanting around with Littlefinger after she is believed to have soiled the Hand's bed/Lannister name.

Probably because she is now secretly under Varys's protection as indicated by a scene between Ros and Varys at the end of last season.

My theory is that she was hired by Tywin from the get go in order to keep Tyrion's whoring under wraps. He knew he couldn't get him to stop entirely so he got a girl that could serve that purpose but keep him from sleeping with every whore is sight and thus destroying the family reputation. And there is the fact that Shae says that she is not low born but refuses to talk anymore about her family. It would fit that Tywin wouldn't want his son with anyone low born, even as his whore.

I know that Tywin forbids him to take Shae to King's Landing but the way he says it, it's like he's baiting him into doing it. He might not have even thought of taking her if his dad hadn't put the seed in his head. It might have even originally been Tywin who thought to make her Sansa's maid, as an additional set of eyes on the Starks. I think what she wasn't expecting was that she would actually grow to love Tyrion. I believe that her offer to run away with him at the end of season 2 was legitimate. When he says no she has this look of resignation and hopelessness on her face.

Tywin Lannister doesn't give a shit about hiding anything from Tyrion. I doubt he would waste his time on such a dumb and elaborate ruse to "keep Tyrion's whoring in check."

• 4 weeks later...

A better question would be is how come this whore is so freely galavanting around with Littlefinger after she is believed to have soiled the Hand's bed/Lannister name.

so much about Ros's story line doesn't make sense! she is a very annoying character to keep around IMHO

INTERESTING.... well it couldn't have been Tywin as he had not arrived yet, and when he did was quite busy with a huge battle. but maybe there is someone else she is reporting to, some one who works for Tywin, or maybe there is another thing going on all together that will be presented later... hmmm :dunno:

possible, they don't seem quite so close in the book as in the TV show, in the books I would be more inclined to believe that she didn't love him, but who knows what the are trying to do with the adaption, or where is will go

Archived