Lhazareen

yolkboy

Just wondering if the World of Ice and Fire will contain more information regarding the Lhazareen people.

What is their history and how did they emerge? What was their standing as Valyria rose to power?

I'm particularly interested in their language and why they don't speak a form of Valyrian, being so close to slavers bay.

I was wondering if their language descends from the old (extinct) ghiscari tongue, which pre-dated Valyrian as the language of Essos.

Any chance there will be details in tWoIaF? Anyone know anything?

As far as we know TWOIAF will focus primarily on Westeros, but they look like Dothraki with the same copper skin and almond-shaped eyes, but more squat and flat-faced, and they adopt short hair.

Their language can't be related to Ghiscari, since it has a sing-song quality, and the now extinct Ghiscari language had a guttural character. The books say nothing about any relationship between their language and Dothraki, but apparently they're not related. If there's no relationship between their language an any western Essos languages, maybe they heir from further east, or maybe lived in the Dothraki sea before the horselords came, around four centuries ago.

I would imagein that the Lhazzareen relation with Valyria was "Please don't kill me, here take my stuff!" just like with the Dothraki. In fact I'm wondering if not the present pacifism comes from the time of Valyrian domination when the dragon-lords would've provided all the protection that was needed in return for tribute. And then when the dragons came and the Dothraki came into the field, the Lhazzareen did not have any martial culture to answer with and so did the ting they've been doing for the last couple of centuries: pay the stronger parties for protection.

One thing I note from Lands of Ice and Fire is that the Lhazareen have three inhabited cities, whereas central Essos is full of ruined cities. Either the Dothraki are prepared to spare these cities, in return for money, or maybe they have stronger defences than we think,

One thing I note from Lands of Ice and Fire is that the Lhazareen have three inhabited cities, whereas central Essos is full of ruined cities. Either the Dothraki are prepared to spare these cities, in return for money, or maybe they have stronger defences than we think,

Or maybe they're not really Lhazareen cities, being a people of shepherds. Maybe they're a mix of Ghiscari and Lhazareen, who knows, with a Ghiscari upper class negotiating with the Khals. I just don't see the Lhazareen building cities and nations.

• 2 weeks later...

Or maybe they're not really Lhazareen cities, being a people of shepherds. Maybe they're a mix of Ghiscari and Lhazareen, who knows, with a Ghiscari upper class negotiating with the Khals. I just don't see the Lhazareen building cities and nations.

I don't see any reason why all the Lhazareen have to be exactly the same. The urban Lhazareen may not be any more martial than the rural cousins, but there's nothing preventing them from buying off passing khalasars just like the Free Cities do.

As far as we know TWOIAF will focus primarily on Westeros, but they look like Dothraki with the same copper skin and almond-shaped eyes, but more squat and flat-faced, and they adopt short hair.

Their language can't be related to Ghiscari,... now extinct Ghiscari language had a guttural character.

Have you a quote for this?

I recall slavers bay Valyrian being described as gutteral, but i remember no description of Ghiscari.

Infact how could there be a description of Ghiscari... it's extinct... nobodies heard it.

Archived