Is Syrio Forel really dead?

And finally, it's not only about not seeing a body or the murder itself, it's about circumstances. You can make the case of Benjen being alive, as we have no idea whatsoever on his situation, only that he was beyond the Wall. With Syrio, we were pretty much with him seconds before he was killed and we know how things looked.

Kind of like how we were with Davos right up until he passed out at the bottom of the bay which was on fire? Or how we were with Arya as she left the Hound dieing of a fever on the side of the road? Or how we were with Catelyn when she actually died.

Martin has a habbit of bringing bad "dead" characters, and Syrio Forell has as much a chance as the rest of them.

Syrio isn't dead, I've had that feeling since GoT and I'm sticking with it, the first sort of Braavos doesn't just die! I've got a feeling he's bee with Arya all along and so I subscribe the theory that the HoBaW have been after Arya all along and if not the full theory then at least that Syrio is the Kindly man and possibly Jaqan (

that may be, but a man can`t be in two places at once (black cells and teaching Arya), so a man is not Jaqen, because obviously he`s Mord.

he can be Jaqen because Jaqen was still alive when in the black cells and Syrio was teaching Arya, things got violent and Syrio had to get out and kill his target (Jaqen) and so Syrio becomes Jaqen)

Kind of like how we were with Davos right up until he passed out at the bottom of the bay which was on fire? Or how we were with Arya as she left the Hound dieing of a fever on the side of the road? Or how we were with Catelyn when she actually died.

Martin has a habbit of bringing bad "dead" characters, and Syrio Forell has as much a chance as the rest of them.

There's no point in bringing him back though is there? I mean would it really add anything to the story?

I'm a big Syrio fan and I'd love it if he wasn't dead, but I think it really does just come down to wishful thinking.

Again, circumstances. With all three we have more ol less plausible ways out, and that's namely what happened (waves drifting him away to the shore, someone finding and helping Sandor, magic revival - and yes, Cat was actually killed there). I wonder what happened so that Syrio is alive?

I see what you're saying about how Martin handles death, but does Ned have a chance of returning? Is Ned's chance equal to Jon's chance for example?

It's also about POV - if we had seen Syrio die, Arya most probably wouldn't have escaped.

:agree: We don't get Syrio's death explained in detail simply because Arya wasn't there to see it, it's all about the POV.

Syrio was a good character that died a good death.

Again, circumstances. With all three we have more ol less plausible ways out, and that's namely what happened (waves drifting him away to the shore, someone finding and helping Sandor, magic revival - and yes, Cat was actually killed there). I wonder what happened so that Syrio is alive?

I see what you're saying about how Martin handles death, but does Ned have a chance of returning? Is Ned's chance equal to Jon's chance for example?

duhhhh, Syrio survived, being a FM he switched place with Ned to be executed while Ned was sent at Bravoos, hiding since 2 years, it is known. :P

Well, it's explicitly stated that Roose stabbed him in the heart...which 10/10 causes death, especially in days of such medical advancement as they had then. Whereas the implication of Syrio Forels death is much weaker, we don't actually see him hurt at all.

No, that's not explicitly stated. It's stated that someone whose description matches the last description of Roose we saw killed Robb that way, but it has never been made explicit that it was Roose who killed Robb.

No, that's not explicitly stated. It's stated that someone whose description matches the last description of Roose we saw killed Robb that way, but it has never been made explicit that it was Roose who killed Robb.

Thank you, that's what I meant by giving this example - not that Robb may not be dead by the same logic as Syrio, but that it might be someone else but Roose by the same logic as Syrio being alive.

Didnt GRRM say something like "Why do people keep asking me this?" when asked if Syrio was alive?

When we speak of Jons death GRRM said "Oh, you think hes dead do you?".. Thats quiet the difference.

Syrio is dead. We dont see this because theres no POV there at the moment of his death but look at the situation.. Syrio is facing a knight in full armor and has just lost his sword.

So heres the possibilities.

Ser Meryn lets him walk. Very unlikely. 0.001% chance that this happend.

Syrio picked up a sword from the lannisters and won against a fully armored knight with a sword he has no idea how to use. No, this didnt happen either.

Ser Meryn killed Syrio with one swift attack. Most likely to have happend.

Didnt GRRM say something like "Why do people keep asking me this?" when asked if Syrio was alive?

When we speak of Jons death GRRM said "Oh, you think hes dead do you?".. Thats quiet the difference.

Syrio is dead. We dont see this because theres no POV there at the moment of his death but look at the situation.. Syrio is facing a knight in full armor and has just lost his sword.

Syrio picked up a sword from the lannisters and won against a fully armored knight with a sword he has no idea how to use. No, this didnt happen either.

In 2005, GRRM pointed out that Syrio seems to have been left in a hopeless situation when he was last seen, and suggested readers should "draw your own conclusions" based on this (SSM), which seems to imply that Syrio Forel was in fact killed. More recent reports (but, it should be said, unconfirmed) indicate GRRM does not understand why he gets asked the question repeatedly, pointing out that Syrio is not immortal; if accurate, this seems to more heavily imply that Syrio Forel is dead.

Taken from here.

How could he have survived?

Given that Meryn Trant is still alive and no mention or hint was made of anything weird happening there. Even if you assume that Syrio was a Faceless Man (which is very very crackpot), why would he STILL be in Kings Landing playing the "sly and cruel" Meryn who beats Sansa. Why wouldn't he have faked his death again and be elsewhere?

Usually in this series, its fair to assume that no body = not dead. But there really doesn't seem to be any mystery with Syrio.

GRRM is a bad bad man, why cant he just say: He is dead. :(

He basically is haha.

Sometimes I guess we just look too much into theories we want to be true, regardless of how likely they might be.

Those aren't the only possibilities. Trant could have taken him prisoner, and thrown him in the black cells, where he changed into Jaqen.

I don't really believe he is still alive, unless maybe it is relevant to Arya's faceless man story. Just saying. GRRM said "draw your own conclusions"

that is pretty vague and isn't by any means a confirmation.

Is Syrio dead? GRRM says yes, he's dead (SSM) BUT "dead" to GRRM in the world of Westeros is a bit different than dead in the real world. Dead people have a tendency to come back in these books. Not to mention, what is dead may never die....

Is Syrio dead? Maybe "Syrio" is dead, but maybe he's only dead because he took on a different persona.

I don't think Syrio is dead.

Those aren't the only possibilities. Trant could have taken him prisoner, and thrown him in the black cells, where he changed into Jaqen.

I don't really believe he is still alive, unless maybe it is relevant to Arya's faceless man story. Just saying. GRRM said "draw your own conclusions"

that is pretty vague and isn't by any means a confirmation.

No, that's not possible. Not since AFFC, when Rennifer Longwaters gave us a detailed description of who was when in the Black Cells.

Archived