Anime IV - new SUMMER animu and guff

jurble

Anime III has 5 posts left it in before locking, and with the new season, it might as well be a good idea to start a new thread, so everyone's comments on new shows can be easily gathered, rather than getting lost at the end of a soon-to-die thread.

So - anyone watch any of the new anime so far, or expecting something good this spring?

edit: Lol, I started this thread last spring animu season and spring is here yet again!

Skipped through a bunch of ep 1s and the only two that caught my attention so far were Dansai Bunri no Crime Edge and Date A Live. Of the two, I think Dansai Bunri no Crime Edge might be terrible, but it's premise seemed so incredibly ridiculous that I kept watching it. Once the novelty of an absurd premise wears off, it might no longer be enjoyable.

Red Data Girl seemed to be fairly interesting in a standard way.

Aku no Hana alas has horrible rotoscoped designs, which is too bad, since the manga is pretty interesting. (although you need a high tolerance for unlikeable characters)

I'll see how Railgun is, that franchise has always seemed to deserve better. And I'm not just talking anime adaptations, but in general.

The Demon King at work was surprisingly good: Though the humour seems based on essentially taking a whacky premise seriously.

Majestic Prince was... Standard fluff but seemed fairly fun. Ragtag bunch of misfits, etc. etc. I'll watch it, even though the animation is pretty bad.

I'll see how Railgun is, that franchise has always seemed to deserve better. And I'm not just talking anime adaptations, but in general.
The Railgun manga is firmly above most of the franchise (except the light novels, I hear, but I did not read those)

Majestic Prince was... Standard fluff but seemed fairly fun. Ragtag bunch of misfits, etc. etc. I'll watch it, even though the animation is pretty bad.
Still, it's rare enough to see girls given an active role so early, and the interactions within the group... they did not seem as anime-idiotic as most characters in that type of show.

Agree on part-time Maou, it was a nice episode, and original to boot.

I watched Yahari Love Comedy whatever 1, and it's good a good start, not awesome but not terrible either, the main character is interesting enough, and the secondary ones are not (yet) too irritating.

I regret trying DateA live. Ugh, what was I thinking, panty shots are shoved in your face before the one minute mark, then it goes downhill. Worse than Vividred (speaking of horrible discoveries)... And it does take itself seriously too.

JoJo's Part 2 has ended. It ends with a set-up and teaser for Part 3, though no Part 3 has been announced. Regardless, this series has been one of the best adaptions of any manga ever, imo - just based on animation quality. Cars looked all sorts of amazing in this episode.

Rewatched Hataraku Maou-sama per Galactus' endorsement, or better to say, watched it, since I had previously skipped through it, and it didn't catch my eye. It was enjoyable. Attack on Titan seems awesome.

Having read what's out of the manga so far, I can say that there is certainly a plot in Shingeki no Kyojin, but it's really slow and drowned in a lot of gratuitous grimdark (and the setting itself makes it hard to sustain suspension of disbelief)

I read the manga last night in a few hours. They better condense and rearrange this shit, too many useless flashbacks in the manga.

Also, now I really want to know

Wtf are the Titans, are they all people? How? Even the dumb titans seem to be people. Why are some titans dumb and some aren't? One of the dumb-titans mistook a ranger for Ymir, and called her 'Ymir-sama', indicating that not-dumb Titans like Ymir are treated as royalty or whatever.

But given that so little forward progression in time is made in 43 chapters, I'm going to be wondering that for the next few years of my life. Unless the Anime is one of those short 13 or 26 episode ones, which diverges from the manga to do its own thing.

Gargantia seems interesting.

You know, I just noticed that Koreans get their names rendered in the Latin alphabet for anime credits. I guess it's a matter of convenience, since few Koreans can read characters anymore, but all those Korean names ought to have Chinese character equivalents from back in the day. I always thought it's cool that a Japanese actor or Chinese actor often just uses the Chinese/Japanese pronunciation of his name rendered in characters in either country, leading to completely different sounding names.

Valvrave - standard shounen mech stuff, didn't think it was interesting until the end...

If it's vampires and mechs, I think it might be amazing

I'm betting the standard Sunrise masked antagonist is gonna be the supposedly vaporized girl

Despite everything else, and some of it seems fairly interesting, the best ani is still the sports anime based on a card-game.

Chihayafuru is just that funny. Everyone is hilarious, but especially Shinobu (I love how her every appearance is shot as if she was the villain in a horror film) It's funny and quirky and plays the formula (Sports anime with quirky opponents) to perfection, and it also has pretty much an impeccable sense of comedic timing.

I don't know about that, I am no stranger to valyrian steel this kind of anime, I can rewatch Adachi stuff with no problem (Cross Game is awesome, by the way), and I don't even dislike shows like Saki or Hikaru no Go, but Chihayafuru just rubs me the wrong way all the time, the humour, the flashbacks, the main character reactions, the main characters themselves, the (for lack of a better word) edginess of one of the protagonists, the forced drama... gah, all of it grates on me. Admittedly, I only read some volumes of the manga and watched the first few episodes, but everytime I see people who need to hype chihayafuru, dammit, I try and cannot get past that. The irritation feels like it comes from pretty much the same place as it did in Kuragehime, somehow.

• 2 weeks later...

So, I might drop Valvrave, since Gargantia does satisfty my mech-cracing after all. It's just not.. good. I see what they're trying to do, but they're trying too hard to be ridiculous. It's not jiving with me.

Valvrave started like Gundam seed feat Code Geass. Now it is turning out like Guilty Crown.

I might be the only one or so to enjoy it to the extent it's almost an orgasm, everyone else thinks it's so bad it hurts.

Thank you Okouchi.

Archived