[TV/Book Spoilers] TWOP Unsullied Thread Part 3

Independent George

Wow... they are not trusting the Reeds... hehehehe, let them wait and see !

"We swear it by ice and fire."

I was dubious about the Reeds introduction, In the books they have some mystery but they're friendly from the first time. in the show it came across as something a little menacing. Then, I read this:

If their father was a good wartime friend of Ned (and cried after hearing Neds destiny) than I doubt they are evil. And then there was the reaction of Bran's wolf. If the wolf trusts them, then Bran can trust them as well.

I hope D&D don't left out the Reed's oath of fealty, It was very moving in the books! maybe they are saving it for the time Osha & Rickon go on their own.

The problem with Jojen & Meera's introduction is largely a function of the limits of television. As great as this cast is, there's just so many of them; juggling new character introductions without overwhelming the audience is an extremely tricky thing to manage. So, introducing them last season, when they really didn't have much to do, probably would have been underwhelming, but having them appear out of nowhere this season is kind of absurdly convenient. It would have been nice if Ned had mentioned Howland Reed in S1, just so it wasn't so sudden this season (the way Thoros of Myr was name-dropped), but they probably didn't know how the Reeds would have been handled yet when the S1 scripts were written.

Still, I'd rather have them seeming ominous than boring, so all things considered, I think it's a net positive.

Her determined "I will stop him" and her serious face, as well as calling Tyrion a pervert when he said Sansa ("this child") was pretty made me wonder if maybe Shae had been taken advantage of as a young girl. No evidence, just a feeling I had watching her.

AMAZING! I didnt even notice this in the show. I love it when Unsullied catch things bookwalkers miss...so perceptive!

It's great that the unsullied were immediately wary of the Reeds, but on reflection realised they are probably there to help Bran.

They've noted that the Great John is MIA. I wished they'd kept him by Robb's side rather than Karstark. And have Karstark sniping from the sidelines about vengeance. Most of Karstark's lines could have been credibly delivered by Umber, including him snarking on his choice of bride.

Makes me Wonder how much of a shock the RW will be though. I know I don't particularly like Robb in the Show, and I haven't seen much from non-book viewers but so far I gather he's not *that* popular. Catelyn isn't either, and that, coupled with some foreshadowing of what's going to happen....but we'll see how it plays out.

The RW will still be a shock. When I read the books, I strongly suspected that Robb was toast. But the way it all played out? That freaking floored me.

Which convinces me that Lord Bolton's bastard son is the one who has Theon. Theon is strapped to an "X" shaped cross identical to the one on the Bolton banner.

Looks like someone just picked up on it! From a lot of their comments some only skimmed the torture scenes as it was too gruesome.

Yes, I'm quite suprised at how squeamish many of the unsullied are. Though I guess I might be called a bit numb to some of this guesome stuff. I was expecting to see finger flaying, so the beginnings of a fingernail pull, and a corckscrew thing digging into an unseen foot is less stomach churning than the flaying that might have been shown. They might work up to the flaying I suppose.

I'm calling the nickname for Ramsey Bolton: Captain Corkscrew.

The RW will still be a shock. When I read the books, I strongly suspected that Robb was toast. But the way it all played out? That freaking floored me.

In a lot of ways, the television series is easier to predict, though. When I first picked up the series, I read it in the span of about 2 weeks. I would get up, read on the bus into the office, read during lunch, read on the bus home from work, walk the dog, read while eating, then read before I went to bed. I never stopped between chapters to think about where things are headed. I had a bad feeling about Robb, but I expected him to die near the end (like Ned). I didn't expect him to die less than 2/3 of the way through the book, and I didn't expect Cat to die at all.

On the show, however, they have a full 7 days to think about everything, and Robb is clearly being set up for a fall (he's the only Stark in any position of power). They also know that episode 9 is the narrative climax of the season, so they instinctively try guess the pacing based on what just transpired in the most recent episode. I think they're ready for Robb's death, but will be shocked at Cat's (especially if it's shown graphically as described in the book), and I suspect Talisa will be killed, too.

Plus the show actually goes through a lot of pains to foreshadow and give motivation for everything, wheras the book foreshadowing was always really hard thing to decipher or info was given in retrospect. Its one of the things I really enjoyed about the show when I did my rewatch-that things legitamately never came out of the blue (except for shadowbaby), so it shouldn't be a TOTAL shock that people can decipher stuff. Robb in particular has a pretty obvious sword on his neck, its going to be the other people who shock the show watchers.

In a lot of ways, the television series is easier to predict, though. When I first picked up the series, I read it in the span of about 2 weeks. I would get up, read on the bus into the office, read during lunch, read on the bus home from work, walk the dog, read while eating, then read before I went to bed. I never stopped between chapters to think about where things are headed. I had a bad feeling about Robb, but I expected him to die near the end (like Ned). I didn't expect him to die less than 2/3 of the way through the book, and I didn't expect Cat to die at all.

On the show, however, they have a full 7 days to think about everything, and Robb is clearly being set up for a fall (he's the only Stark in any position of power). They also know that episode 9 is the narrative climax of the season, so they instinctively try guess the pacing based on what just transpired in the most recent episode. I think they're ready for Robb's death, but will be shocked at Cat's (especially if it's shown graphically as described in the book), and I suspect Talisa will be killed, too.

And they really need to make it look like Arya gets killed too, just to troll them even harder.

I do hope Oona Chaplan doesn't take it personally, but I hope this happens. Unless Jeyne Westerling is preggers with Robb's heir, in which case Talissa does kinda need to survive in order for there to be some semblance of similarity to this part of the story.

And they really need to make it look like Arya gets killed too, just to troll them even harder.

This needs to happen, they can't cut that out. Even though I've decried the overuse of faux deaths, this is one faux death I think should be kept in.

very sharp:

<on Thoros of Myr>

Wow! That is amazing, how well they remember everything from two seasons ago, even a random name, mentioned only once in a conversation.

They bring up a good question, has the show even named Robb's dire wolf yet?

I do not think so, and I do not think the viewers-only have a good notion of what the wolves mean to the Starks children (except probably Summer).

The fear of things turning worse they have is amusing. Every other prediction or twist they are anticipating has something to do with things getting worse or new characters being untrustworthy despite seeming otherwise.

Archived