Winds of Winter progress update

Bo Bice

I attempted to make this in the Winds of Winter sub-forum but it never went through. So move it if you want, but here it is.

George says he's about a quarter of the way through the book off the top of his head.

I'll take it

He needs to get the next quarter finished faster than he did the first one. Although, it seems like he's been doing everything but working on it, so if that's the perception and he's still 25% done, then maybe he could crank it out faster if it were a more central focus than it has been.

Eh. I mostly just hope the series lights a fire under his bum. Contract-wise they're through the third book with no signs of slowing down.

So he's late. I hate this, really. People say it's a given that the tv series will overtake the books, but I hate the idea.

And maybe I'm being unfair, but I hate to see Martin as a celebrity like that. That will just hinder him from actually writing.

Specially since he's only now really such a huge celebrity, so late in his life... If he goes fame-insane it will blow.

2 years = quarter of the book.That means 6 more years.

But he also says he plans to have them out faster than the last two. So who knows, maybe he's writing the tough stuff now :P

I'm of the opinion that its done when its done. Do I want to read the book tomorrow? Absolutely. But I think TWoW has potential to be as good as ASoS, let the man write. The last thing I would want him to do is rush it.

He took SIX YEARS to finish ADWD, even though he had written a note at the time of AFfC(published at the end of the Penguin paperback edition) to the effect that the latter book would be out within a year. And that should have made sense: He had made a late decision to split the two books on a geographical/point of view basis rather than chronological, so he must have had a LOT of DwD material finished when FfC was published. Really it wasn't a writing task so much as an editing one, or should have been.

I think the situation has gotten a lot worse since the 6-year gap between "Crows" and "Dragons," because of the HBO TV series. He's become much more of a public figure, and he's basking in it; attending more ~cons, doing more interviews, promoting what he's already produced rather than concentrating on producing more. I liken it to a band that has a hit album. You can either start working on your next one, or you can go on tour to promote the heck out of the one that's already a hit. But you can't be on tour AND in the studio. Or, you could also liken GRRM to Robert Baratheon, who was really good at the hard work it took to become the king, but once he was there wasn't at all interested in actually being king. Going on the tours and making appearances promoting the books is GRRM's 'whoring and hunting.'

Martin did recently admit that he is beginning to feel pressure due to the pace of the TV series. I think this can be a good motivator for him to finish the remaining books in a timely manner (obviously without compromising the quality of the work)....

But he also says he plans to have them out faster than the last two. So who knows, maybe he's writing the tough stuff now :P

I'm of the opinion that its done when its done. Do I want to read the book tomorrow? Absolutely. But I think TWoW has potential to be as good as ASoS, let the man write. The last thing I would want him to do is rush it.

well same here i dont care how long ? i just want it to be fucking awesome!!

Despite what I just said above, I think it is fair to let the man create at his own pace. You can't hurry love, nor can you rush the creative process. And I have read GRRM's response to his detractors who were similarly pissed off that ADwD took so long.

Not a blog: To My Detractors

Still, even though you can't rush creativity you can get in its way; and not scheduling sufficient time to put the work in is the surest impediment to finishing it.

(NOTE: I realize I'm being a bit 'six of one, half dozen of the other' about this.) :P

Did he say 1400 pages longer? He obviously meant 400 pages longer thanks ADWD, right?

I thought he said 1400 (manuscript) pages longer than episode 3.7 of the TV series.

I think that after a certain point it becomes too much of a challenge for the bookbinders to put together anything beyond 1,000 pages in paperback, maybe a little more in hard cover.

Archived