Winds of Winter progress update

Bo Bice

Doesn't he say in that interview that he's almost done with the script for his episode of season 4? I'd imagine writing a script for a 50+ minute episode would take some time, especially if you decide to scrap it and start over, or make changes. Or if you're just GRRM.

Maybe he'll get busy on TWoW when he's done with that.

No, he's said that the shows won't over take him.

Welcome to the forum :cheers:

Thanks.

Initially I thought the show might be a bad thing and end up slowing him down as he has a lot more publicity/stuff to do, but if he says it won't catch up then hopefully it will actually speed his writing up. Or they slow the show down, haha.

About what I expected, really. Which is not good. 2014 is hopelessly optimistic, by the way. Seems that every year he commits himself to more and more new projects, and he's already a slow writer. Hard to see how he can stay ahead of the show, though it is certainly my hope.

So true. And the most tightly and well written of the books, the first three, came out at two year intervals, even if he is a slow writer. Which doesn't speak well of his current much more lackadaisical approach.

About what I expected, really. Which is not good. 2014 is hopelessly optimistic, by the way.

Less a matter of optimism but of options for him. he MUST finish the book by end of 2014 (meaning a publication in first quarter 2015) otherwise HBO overtakes him which IMO would be a big embarrassement for any kind of quality novelist.

If he wants to avoids this embarrassement he must finish the book end of 2014.

Just a question since I know absolutely nothing about it: must he really be a script writer for the show?

If I'm not mistaken, it was said around the threads that he really isn't the one to give much direction to the show as a whole, e.g. they kill people off whom he'll need later on even if he says they shouldn't do that.

So, is there much of a difference if he writes for the show too, or not? Sure, it would be nice to be involved, I would never say otherwise, but with the plans he still has with the 2 (hopefully) last books and then all the D&E he'd still like to write...

Maybe he's just awful at disappointing people (saying 'no').

I can't imagine how much it would suck if we have to WATCH the series end before READING it!

That was my original plan but I couldn't wait to read what happens after season 2 so I went ahead and read them all.

Also if you guys want your weekend to be even more ruined, just think of the wait for A Dream of Spring. Enjoy your weekend :)

I'm ambivalent about this. On the one hand I'm thinking "can't we just leave him the fuck alone to write as he feels like it?"

And on the other hand I'm thinking "What! Only 1/4 of the way done! And that's including the chapters he had already written that were taken out of ADwD? Shit!"

I can't imagine how much it would suck if we have to WATCH the series end before READING it!

that really would be ridiculous and embarrassing for good old George. And at least in my book it would destroy the legacy of the song as an all-time classic Fantasy / Sci-fi world creation (on the level of Tolkien's middle-earth and Herbert's Dune)

I'm not surprised by this information, I expected it to take a while and since I don't watch the show I really have no fear of it overtaking the books. I just hope Martin doesn't over tire hisself with taking on multiple projects and writing a book plus a TV show.

It'll come when it comes

Just a question since I know absolutely nothing about it: must he really be a script writer for the show?

If I'm not mistaken, it was said around the threads that he really isn't the one to give much direction to the show as a whole, e.g. they kill people off whom he'll need later on even if he says they shouldn't do that.

So, is there much of a difference if he writes for the show too, or not? Sure, it would be nice to be involved, I would never say otherwise, but with the plans he still has with the 2 (hopefully) last books and then all the D&E he'd still like to write...

Maybe he's just awful at disappointing people (saying 'no').

He doesn't HAVE to say no. He's MARRIED now. All he needs is to learn the magic words:

" That sounds fascinating. Let me run it past Parris and we'll get back to you." Then let her say no, or don't get back. Wives can do that, I PROMISE!

And please, please, please keep him healthy and ALIVE! The idea of finding out how the series ends by having to watch the series (which IS corrupted) is totally terrifying

I'm ambivalent about this. On the one hand I'm thinking "can't we just leave him the fuck alone to write as he feels like it?"

And on the other hand I'm thinking "What! Only 1/4 of the way done! And that's including the chapters he had already written that were taken out of ADwD? Shit!"

Yeah. This. It's unfair, in a way I can't describe. I don't want GRRM to "be my bitch" but I do feel like he should have deadlines.

No, he's said that the shows won't over take him.

Welcome to the forum :cheers:

Well even if Book 6 comes out in early 2015, that would give him about 5 years to write the last book before the series ends (assuming this and next season for ASoS, 3 seasons for AFFC /ADwD and 2 for TWoW). That's a close call as is, and I think finishing Book 6 even late next year is unlikely.

Maybe the show will get cancelled...but as of now it seems like at least season 5 is a definite.

Well even if Book 6 comes out in early 2015, that would give him about 5 years to write the last book before the series ends (assuming this and next season for ASoS, 3 seasons for AFFC /ADwD and 2 for TWoW). That's a close call as is, and I think finishing Book 6 even late next year is unlikely.

Maybe the show will get cancelled...but as of now it seems like at least season 5 is a definite.

The show won't get cancelled and GRRM has said that he feels confident that the show won't over take him.

well couple things:

1) god he must hate these questions, can you imagine how many times he has been asked???

2) interviewer asks how many pages done and he says a quarter of the way done, i took it to mean that 1/4 is 'done-done,' that is virtually ready to go to printer. Does not mean he does not have many more pages written which are done but not 'done-done.' This interpretation would square with his assessment that his progress has been faster than last two books.

Archived