R+L=J v.46

Black Crow

But why would he need more heirs if he has a daughter and a son once Aegon is born?

If you don't know the answer to that, or at least have a very very good idea, you are so far behind the 8-ball it isn't funny.

It pretty much invalidates all of the related suppositions you make thereafter.

"There must be one more," and "The dragon has three heads."

He is clearly following and doing his best to fulfill prophecy. Probably something that will save the world, at least the human part of it, from the Others. Probably the same thing that caused him to set aside his bookishness and turn himself into a warrior.

Duty. A higher duty than that to Aerys.

@Jon- hope your cousin is okay! I was in Boston all day and only just now on the train getting home. Very scary & chaotic situation and since cell service was shut down and everyone's phones died it was a little lesson in life without instant communication.

About R+L, I don't feel like I'm party to a Prince Charming fantasy. I think most everyone here has a rather complex view of the situation based on the multilayered POVs we are given. That said- the information we have points firmly in one direction: an honorable Rhaegar who loved Lyanna, called the place they were together "Tower of Joy" and died with her name on his lips. Those two points seem canon to me as do the conclusions we draw from them.

I second this. Same for Jon Icefyre's cousin.

Thanks J.Stargaryen and Lady Gwgynhyfvar thanks as well i'm glad you're okay! My cousin is freaking out a little bit but she's fine I talked to her a little bit ago. She said she's never seen that big of an area shut down quit like that before so I imagine it was pretty hectic.

If you don't know the answer to that, or at least have a very very good idea, you are so far behind the 8-ball it isn't funny.

It pretty much invalidates all of the related suppositions you make thereafter.

"There must be one more," and "The dragon has three heads."

He is clearly following and doing his best to fulfill prophecy. Probably something that will save the world, at least the human part of it, from the Others. Probably the same thing that caused him to set aside his bookishness and turn himself into a warrior.

Duty. A higher duty than that to Aerys.

Yes and to further support this he names his first two children after 2 members of the orginal three headed dragon Aegon l and his sister Rhaenys..... Coincidence? I think not.

I second this. Same for Jon Icefyre's cousin.

LadyG, JonIcefyre's cousin, my friends who raced today and to those who expected this day to be one of personal triumph and joy only to see it full of blood and terror. So sorry.

I'm a competitive triathlete who brings her kids to races (this weekend is Ironman NOLA 70.3 for us) -- where they wait for me at the finish line and now this is introduced to the experience -- some asshole(s) trying to prove a point?! Sorry for the rant.

Nirolo -- Rhaegar dying saying Lyanna's name is confirmed in the GRRM-sanctioned/vetted ASOIF app.

Thank you guys for all the support... I was in dire need of group therapy LOL

Back to compiling lists ;)

Two updates to my old post concerning cast&crew's take on Jon's parentage and related topics:

http://asoiaf.wester...80#entry4263982

Ciarán Hinds

And all this stuff with Jon Snow and his parentage! Maybe he's like Harry Potter, the Chosen One, and yet nobody actually knows.[...]

And the next time I have a scene with Kit [Harington], I can say, "Do you know where you come from?" And if he says, "Father ... " That's a bluff. "I know they told you, or you thought you knew, but anyway ..." Oh, good Lord! At this stage, anybody could make up anything, couldn't they? Crikey blimey! I can't wait to see what happens!

Bryan Cogman (two different interviews)

One of the big themes of the books is the characters’ relationship with the past, and I want that to be a huge theme of the show. It’s one I think will emerge more strongly as the series goes on.[...] A character like Rhaegar Targaryen, it’s safe to say in the books you know more about Rhaegar than you do at this point in the show. That’s on purpose. We don’t want to load up the front end.

Having said that, certainly the relationship to the past is very important seam in the saga, and it’s definitely one that we’re mindful of. We have been very judicious as to when we allude to the past... We have done it, Lyanna and Rhaegar have come up several times, but we’re playing the long game here. The relationship to the past, and the circumstances around the rebellion will all be visited somehow on the show. How we’re going to do that, and the devices we’re going to use, I don’t even know yet.

If you're interested in the full interviews I'll post another list ;) with the links.

I'm sorry - I'm still on page 10 of this thread (been a little busy) so just adding my 2¢ : YES PLEASE.

@Jon- hope your cousin is okay! I was in Boston all day and only just now on the train getting home. Very scary & chaotic situation and since cell service was shut down and everyone's phones died it was a little lesson in life without instant communication.

About R+L, I don't feel like I'm party to a Prince Charming fantasy. I think most everyone here has a rather complex view of the situation based on the multilayered POVs we are given. That said- the information we have points firmly in one direction: an honorable Rhaegar who loved Lyanna, called the place they were together "Tower of Joy" and died with her name on his lips. Those two points seem canon to me as do the conclusions we draw from them.

Glad you are well, and Jons cousin too.

One of my Co-workers runs the Marathon every year, but she sat this one out.

They also shut things down around here in Annapolis as well, so very quiet.

Also agree that the story of Rhaegar is most definitely not a Prince Charming characterization.

He was a man aware of his duty, but I always got the feeling that if he could have had another choice, he might have been someone else, and it may have been Lyannas spirit that brought that out in him.

As I've always speculated, any prophesy was only fulfilled when the living started living.

Just curious. When/where did GRRM confirm this?

Glad you are safe!

It was confirmed in the last App. that came out.

Just watching the premiere of "Defiance," and there are parts of it that seem eerily like GOT, especially a young teen girl, her would-be alien boyfriend who has silver hair, and pale skin, but with yellow eyes instead of purple. Her hothead brother comes along to pick a fight with her alien boyfriend, and the younger, more calm brother,(Ned) breaks it up.

The alien languages were developed by the same guy who did the Dothraki language.

Hmmmmmm. :idea:

Nirolo -- Rhaegar dying saying Lyanna's name is confirmed in the GRRM-sanctioned/vetted ASOIF app.

Which may merely mean that that is what very smart fans think, and its not a massively important detail that GRRM would have caught if wrong.

I happen to think its true, but the app alone is not a reliably canon resource. Yes, GRRM 'vetted' it. But that doesn't mean he double checked every single entry and every detail within every entry. Its been wrong before, apparently.

Just watching the premiere of "Defiance," and there are parts of it that seem eerily like GOT, especially a young teen girl, her would-be alien boyfriend who has silver hair, and pale skin, but with yellow eyes instead of purple. Her hothead brother comes along to pick a fight with her alien boyfriend, and the younger, more calm brother,(Ned) breaks it up.

The alien languages were developed by the same guy who did the Dothraki language.

Hmmmmmm. :idea:

Hahaha great minds think alike I was watching Defiance too and thinking the same thing to myself!

Archived