[Book Spoilers] EP302 Discussion

Ran

Absolutely love how Marge knows exactly how to handle Joff. The way she was caressing his crossbow, you'd think she was caressing his dick. And, hilariously enough, I firmly believe Joff's crossbow is his dick.

I agree that Thoros was the most surprising aspect of this episode. Because, out of all the additions, he wasn't someone I was anticipating. Jojen and Meera are perfect, though. And, I'm trying my hardest not to hold it against Diana Rigg that she's not Maggie Smith. Damn it, brain, it's not her fault.

they are growing way too fast. i wonder if it might become a problem.

It was quite a difference between Bran last year and Bran this year in looks and in his voice, but I don't think it'll be a problem. The events in the TV show do not need to be as compressed as they appear in the books. It doesn't need to be a story told across only three years -- it can (and will since they have aged a lot since the pilot) feel like much more time is passing. I, personally, would be much more upset if they sought to recast the roles.

Another book change: Robb and Catelyn don't know whether Bran and Rickon are dead, unlike in the books where they "knew." They're just missing and unaccounted for, which is...not great, admittedly, but very different from "confirmed dead."

I think the show is trying to play a game with "who has theon" (which book readers know obviously). only way to play that out is for robb and cat to only get sketchy info from the north (bolton lying and saying Ramsay found the place empty)

This episode was awesome. The only thing i really hated was tyrions bj...like seriously come on...how can D&D think of such an idea to add? Oh lets have tyrion get a BJ, that would be awesome and get us more viewers!

No...

There was no needless sexposition and/or nudity. I can deal with one BJ... :cool4:

When she was living in a fog of grief of deep, black depression. She had aged 20 years, she wasn't sleeping, she was barely eating. She was not, in fact, in her right mind. Holding it against her when she's basically had a total mental breakdown is... well, not being in your right mind.

But as I said, you'll see there are many people not in their right mind. ;)

Although I can have empathy for the character and understand the place she is when she reviles Jon Snow, I also can feel it was an absolute terrible thing for someone to say to another. She also never apologized or in her inner dialog thought to apologize for this the entire series.

I love the character of Catelyn Stark in the books, but it is painfully obvious that she is flawed in several ways. I personally feel like her treatment of Jon Snow was one of them.

edited to say that no one has ever accused me of being in my right mind, so Ran may be correct...

Edited by Howdyphillip

She also never apologized or in her inner dialog thought to apologize for this the entire series.

Not true. She feels guilt when she thinks about him while climbing the Eyrie, and in general she feels awful about that entire period after Bran's fall.

And Ghost is bonded to Jon, but he's not with him either

Yes but Bran needs Summer with him for the story. Ghost does wander off in the books. I really don't think this was the Bran/Rickon parting. I would think it would happen with a little more fanfare. My guess is that the Boltons will be approaching, or maybe Bran or Jojen has a greendream that it's no longer safe for them to be together, then they part. I do wonder what they'll do about Osha. Maybe we'll get to see what Rickon and Osha have been up to?

I believe they changed the Reed's background. If I'm not mistaken, Howland used to talk about the Rebellion lots of times with Jojen and Meera. The show made Jojen more powerful in terms of "greensighting". But OK, Jojen can still talk about Lyanna (but in the end he won't).

Although I can have empathy for the character and understand the place she is when she reviles Jon Snow, I also can feel it was an absolute terrible thing for someone to say to another. She also never apologized or in her inner dialog thought to apologize for this the entire series..

She never sees him again.

Additionally, she kinda gets caught up in this little war so she might have other things to think about rather how she needs to send him a nice apology letter.

Jumbled, unrelated thoughts:

1) Was anyone disappointed they didn't have the Dreadfort in the opening credits, given that a couple scenes from Episode 2 take place there? I wanted to see how they would render that terrible place. I liked the first glimpse of Ramsay Snow. He looks the part.

2) Ran quoted a critic who called one Catelyn's scenes in Episode 2 "character assassination". Was this referring to the scene where she admitted to praying for Jon Snow's death when he was a baby? I didn't mind that at all. She always hated Jon in the books--yet she has a conscience so her sin of praying for an innocent babe's death has always gnawed at her; I think it was more-or-less true to the books. Perhaps the assassination was something else, something I missed.

3) What did you think of the treatment of homosexuality in the Joff-Margery scene (which was excellent, in my view)? Joff says he's considering punishing homosexuality by death, which seems a bit too on-the-nose and topical for me. On the other hand, GRRM never explicitly explores what the religious/moral position on homosexuality is in Westeros. Reading the books, I sort of get the idea that homosexuals are mocked (not unlike how Jaime mocks the late Renly in this episode) but not that they are considered abominations before the gods, the way those who commit incest are. It's interesting to think about.

4) The Brienne-Jaime duel was a bit of a letdown, but it was still watchable. I missed the line from the books where Jaime tells his soon-to-be captors that they caught him in the middle of "disciplining his wife"

Edited by Khal Pono

Yes but Bran needs Summer with him for the story. Ghost does wander off in the books. I really don't think this was the Bran/Rickon parting. I would think it would happen with a little more fanfare. My guess is that the Boltons will be approaching, or maybe Bran or Jojen has a greendream that it's no longer safe for them to be together, then they part. I do wonder what they'll do about Osha. Maybe we'll get to see what Rickon and Osha have been up to?

I posted in the wrong thread about about being wrong about Ricken leaving. Just watched it a second time and caught them telling him to not wonder off.

What was up with Mormont telling Rast to take care of Sam? He knows that Grenn and Dolorous Edd are friends with Sam, why not have them watch Sam? You know....like they were already doing? I don't know why they didn't just have Rast die on the Fist. I mean, are they going to have Rast try and kill Sam, opposed to Chett? And if so, they could have done so without Mormont telling him to watch Sam. Are they trying to show that Mormont wants Sam dead, because if not Rast is the last one for the job, especially when you already have two established friends doing it willingly.

Just seemed weird and forced to me.