[Book Spoilers] EP302 Discussion

Ran

Too many characters being introduced in Season 2 for viewers who only get to see GOT once per week to realistically follow? No real need plot-wise for them to appear before then?

Them turning up and knowing where Bran is in a forest fits in perfectly with Jojen's and Meera's individual abilities, they are characters that have an in-Universe justification for turning up conveniently, as one of them has powers that specifically empower him to do that

For once-per week viewers, is it easier to follow a characters "natural" progression, or keep track what is possible for him/her "in-universe"? (non-book readers should have no basis for the latter estimation anyways.)

Just wondering. Did that farmer guy who spotted Jaime and Brienne have an Irish accent or a yorkshire accent? It was really hard to tell.

More importantly, why did a south Riverlands farmer attend a Frey wedding? Even more strange, why did Jaime take part in the wedding's tournament? It's not like the wedding would be such a big deal, requiring the presence of the Kingsguard.

More importantly, why did a south Riverlands farmer attend a Frey wedding? Even more strange, why did Jaime take part in the wedding's tournament? It's not like the wedding would be such a big deal, requiring the presence of the Kingsguard.

Jaime liked jousting, could see him going just to compete

- Sansa and Olenna: I quite liked that scene and I actually thought Olenna was pretty true to the character. However I felt it was bizarre that Sansa mentioned being shown her fathers head and not "he had his Kingsguard strip and beat me in the middle of court whilst he pointed a crossbow at my head"; that kind of seems a lot more direct and to the point.

Sansa didn't mention that beating in the book version of this scene, either. I wondered why, but then decided that it was just too embarrassing for her to mention.

Maybe it's one of the Frey's smallfolk, though he is a bit far from home. I think a certain amount of smallfolk are always welcome at tourneys. That guy could have been selling hot dogs (or blood sausage) in the stands.

Also this is a callback to the scene where Jaime killed his cousin, who idolizes him after squiring for him in Willem Frey's wedding. The gods are punishing Jaime by reminding him of the innocent kid he murdered! Or Karma, or whatever.

Edited by Khal Pono

Sansa didn't mention that beating in the book version of this scene, either. I wondered why, but then decided that it was just too embarrassing for her to mention.

Maybe she finds the emotional abuse via the murder of her relatives more damaging and a better indicator of his evil than physical abuse to herself?

- Sansa and Olenna: I quite liked that scene and I actually thought Olenna was pretty true to the character. However I felt it was bizarre that Sansa mentioned being shown her fathers head and not "he had his Kingsguard strip and beat me in the middle of court whilst he pointed a crossbow at my head"; that kind of seems a lot more direct and to the point.

It's not about direct and to the point. They wanted to know the truth about Joffrey, so her mind went to the most vile, terrible thing he'd done to her. I actually think it's rather telling of Sansa's character that that is what haunts her, more than the humiliation and the beatings.

Also, lots of people were at court to see Sansa beaten and the Tyrells could learn that from anyone. Sansa gives another example that most people would not have known about. Only Joff, the Hound and Meryn were there when Joff forced Sansa to look at her father's head. It's a very intimate example of Joff's cruelty.

Re the accent: I thought it was Cockney.

Regardless, I though it was ironic and quite funny that the bloke who ratted them out was the second person to remind him of that Frey wedding he attended but didn't quite remember.

Edited by Door

I believe the note to Robb did say that Bran and Rickon are dead, he was simply withholding the information from his mother to spare her more grief, and will tell her the truth of the note in a future episode. I could be wrong, though.

Nah it didn't. The showed it in the interactive features. It said:

to Robb of House Stark, the King in the North,

Dark tidings. Arrived at Winterfell late. Theon Greyjoy and his ironmen put the castle to the torch and fled, leaving no survivors

or either Bran and Rickon. Have ordered a search of the surrounding area. Awaiting orders.

Ramsey Snow, son of Roose, of the House Bolton, Lord of the Dreadfort

Edited to put actual text from Raven

Edited by Ser Steven

I made a thread about this in the General GoT forum, but it seems like the mods haven't approved it...

There is a new GoT video out, introducing the new characters. There is plenty of new S3 footage that we haven't seen yet:

The red lady meets Thoros and Dondarrion? interesting

The red lady meets Thoros and Dondarrion? interesting

I guess there's a lot of downtime in Stannis' story...Kind of odd, though. I can't fathom what the purpose would be, besides perhaps explaining the Red Priests and R'hllor a bit more, as far as resurrection and all that goes.

I'm a bit anxious about that, to be honest.

Re : Thoros meeting Mel - Thoros seems to be showing off Beric to her, they are examining his fatal wounds together, he is probably telling her how his R'hollor magic is now capable of animating the dead - to help establish resurrection via fire priest.

So maybe we are getting UnCat.

Re : QoT and Sansa - what QoT says to Sansa as they first meet implies they already know Joff has had her beaten, they tell her they have heard he has mistreated her.