[Book Spoilers] EP302 Discussion

Ran

I would much prefer a single gruesome stabbing to the heart myself. Choking is always so uncomfortable and awkward to watch in any movies or TV because it always comes off cheesy, over dramatic or unrealistic - or any mixture of the three. It's a hard thing to pull off correctly in film, I think.

Yes, it's almost impossible to pull off correctly while maintaining drama since you need to choke someone for several minutes to make sure someone dies. After half a minute the dramatic murder attempt would start feeling boring when he's choking an unconscious person.

How did Jojen see the rebellion? Bran needed to eat the weirwood paste to connect with the trees.

The show doesn't need to strictly adhere to the magical mechanisms of the books, but we can still entertain your question thusly:

The paste Bran eats in Book 5 is actually ground-up parts of Jojen's body (i.e., Jojen paste). Since Jojen IS Jojen, he is already made up of 100% Jojen Paste and doesn't need to consume himself in order to have magical powers.

Thank you.

Edited by Khal Pono

The show doesn't need to strictly adhere to the magical mechanisms of the books, but we can still entertain your question thusly:

The paste Bran eats in Book 5 is actually ground-up parts of Jojen's body (i.e., Jojen paste). Since Jojen IS Jojen, he is already made up of 100% Jojen Paste and doesn't need to consume himself in order to have magical powers.

Thank you.

So if Jojen can do it already, why cant Bran? Couldnt Jojen just save them the trip and teach Bran himself?

Jojen paste isnt true.

Thank you.

This is, hands down, the greatest thing i've read all week. I'm dying from laughter.

Jojen and Bran have different, somewhat overlapping powers. So Jojen can start to teach Bran, but Bran won't be able to master his powers with just Jojen's help.

Jojen paste is such a dark theory. But it would be interesting to have Bran become a dark character, and maybe have the whitewalkers turn out to be less evil than we thought.

Hey, this has nothing to do with just EP302, but this season I noticed that Pyp is no longer part of the cast. Where is that guy? To my knowledge he didn't die off in the books (at least not this early) NOR in Season One. Where did he go? Did they ever explain his disapperance if he wasn't killed off?

Hey, this has nothing to do with just EP302, but this season I noticed that Pyp is no longer part of the cast. Where is that guy? To my knowledge he didn't die off in the books (at least not this early) NOR in Season One. Where did he go? Did they ever explain his disapperance if he wasn't killed off?

He's back at Castle Black so they just don't need him. Perhaps he'll be back when they return. On that note the Greatjon is a more significant absentee as he's still around Robb. They probably don't want to have too many significant roles around Robb though, as well as actors of course need to be paid.

He'll be in season 3:

:)

Edited by Petyr Stone

There's no Dalla - http://www.vulture.com/2013/04/game-of-thrones-mance-rayder-ciaran-hinds-interview.html.

But Hinds who hasn't read the books, figures that there's "all this stuff with Jon Snow and his parentage! Maybe he's like Harry Potter, the Chosen One, and yet nobody actually knows." Which is interesting.

And when he was told his character "crashes parties and plays the lute" he says he can't wait for that. Does that mean he plays the lute and he can't wait to see it, or that he hasn't yet and he's looking forward to doing so because he was told Mance does it in the book?

I can't believe I forgot to mention how awful the Night's Watch scene was. Where is the sense of dread and horror that was present in Sam's chapters? Honestly, his scene was no more tense or scary than Arya and Jaime wandering around the Riverlands.

I'm so disappointed.

I SO agree with this! IMO Sam was SO shortchanged in both of these first two episodes of Season 3, as was basically all of the action north of the Wall - IMO Jon was shortchanged as well.

I HATED the Cat and Talisa scene -- wanted to scream into the TV world that everything Cat said was BS -- let's say she couldn't keep her 'vows' the night she sat with Jon ... what we see from Cat is a whole lot nastier than simply not being able to keep her vows from that night. I think Cat is actually one of the more chilling characters we run across.

LOVED Jojen and Meera, though Jojen is much more assertive than I had pictured him. And so glad they mentioned the whole Rebellion piece. A nice set-up for us for later on.

Just not fond of Shae at all - I can't watch her without returning to the knowledge of how she betrays Tyrion when testifying at his "trial".

Always love to see Arya, and loved the faithfulness to the book in her telling Thoros "and company" that if they just walked on by, she wouldn't kill them.

I don't like Stannis, though I realize there are very many who do. This episode just confirmed to me why I don't like him -- unfeeling, selling himself out by allowing himself to be so manipulated by Mel. (Did I mention I don't like Mel, either?)

In spite of all this complaining, I did really really like the episode - an 8 out of 10.

Does anyone have a bad feeling on where the novel is headed since the show has come into fruition? I know that the show forerunners now have somewhat of a sense how GRRM will end the plot for his characters in the event (God forbid) he dies. I mean, take a look at the NW scenes and the cries about how uninteresting they have become? The first two episodes not concentrating on the aftermath of the white walkers attack at the fist kinda leaves me.... dissapointed on where things might eventually wind up. I know for budgetary constraints and the time needed to effectively act out such a scene(s) could be over burdening but still, if the show doesnt truly take the undead as seriously as its discussed and illustrated in the book I think that in the end, a dramatic invasion from the north down south wont likely happen. Maybe the white walkers are just one plot device on one side while the dragons are on another and everything else is pancaked tightly together. I am a bit apprehensive if we will get anything epic on terms of LOTR-ROTK but for a tv premium show not to at least instill the horror of the white walkers in everything their involved in certainly plays down their threat. So if the show doesnt take that seriously is our beloved novels beyond book 5 headed this direction you guys think?

I HATED the Cat and Talisa scene -- wanted to scream into the TV world that everything Cat said was BS -- let's say she couldn't keep her 'vows' the night she sat with Jon ... what we see from Cat is a whole lot nastier than simply not being able to keep her vows from that night. I think Cat is actually one of the more chilling characters we run across.

What do we see from her that is a whole lot nastier? And how is she at all a chilling character ignoring Lady Stoneheart?

Honestly I think it was more budgetary constraints, lack of will, or possibly saving all the drama for Craster's. I agree that they could have done this a little bit better. At the very least the scene could have taken place in the forrest and everyone should have been scared out of their minds about the white walkers catching them. Honestly, that was all that was needed. Don't even show the white walkers. Just have the actors sell it. However, in the show's defense they might have thought it kind of redundant to do this scene since we will get someone confronting the white walker from the S2 finale eventually.

Does anyone have a bad feeling on where the novel is headed since the show has come into fruition? I know that the show forerunners now have somewhat of a sense how GRRM will end the plot for his characters in the event (God forbid) he dies. I mean, take a look at the NW scenes and the cries about how uninteresting they have become? The first two episodes not concentrating on the aftermath of the white walkers attack at the fist kinda leaves me.... dissapointed on where things might eventually wind up. I know for budgetary constraints and the time needed to effectively act out such a scene(s) could be over burdening but still, if the show doesnt truly take the undead as seriously as its discussed and illustrated in the book I think that in the end, a dramatic invasion from the north down south wont likely happen. Maybe the white walkers are just one plot device on one side while the dragons are on another and everything else is pancaked tightly together. I am a bit apprehensive if we will get anything epic on terms of LOTR-ROTK but for a tv premium show not to at least instill the horror of the white walkers in everything their involved in certainly plays down their threat. So if the show doesnt take that seriously is our beloved novels beyond book 5 headed this direction you guys think?

The threat beyond the wall will be dealt with in the story. But, if you were expecting an "EPIC" showdown style battle between "all the forces of good" and "the evil" White Walkers, Lord of the Rings style then yes I think you will probably be disappointed. I'm not sure why the direction of the show would get you to think about that though- I think the nature of the books should lead you to think that.

I don't think the dead can be "defeated" via a massive battle. In past ages, they seem to have been stopped by means such as the raising of the Wall. Perhaps, dragons or even magic sacrifices. I would expect a similar solution to the White Walker threat this time around, perhaps something like Bran rebuilding a new wall.

I also doubt we will ever get confirmation, after the series is over, that turning back the WW's is really permanent.

Episode 6, 7, and 8 leaked synopsises were posted on spoilertv for anyone interested. Interesting stuff.

Episode 3.06 - The Climb

Tywin plans strategic unions for the Lannisters. Melisandre pays a visit to the Riverlands. Robb weighs a compromise to repair his alliance with House Frey. Roose Bolton decides what to do with Jaime Lannister. Jon, Ygritte and the Wildlings face a daunting climb. (Written by David Benioff & D. B. Weiss; directed by Alik Sakharov.)

Episode 3.07 - The Bear and the Maiden Fair

Dany exchanges gifts with a slave lord outside of Yunkai. As Sansa frets about her prospects, Shae chafes at Tyrion’s new situation. Tywin counsels the king, and Melisandre reveals a secret to Gendry. Brienne faces a formidable foe in Harrenhal. (Written by George R. R. Martin; directed by Michelle MacLaren.)

Episode 3.08 - Second Sons

King’s Landing hosts a wedding, and Tyrion and Sansa spend the night together. Dany meets the Titan’s Bastard. Davos demands proof from Melisandre. Sam and Gilly meet an older gentleman. (Written by David Benioff & D. B. Weiss; directed by Michelle MacLaren.)

Looks like we're getting

Coldhands

Edited by -Ghost-

they could have done this a little bit better.

A little? A LITTLE?!?!?!

Seven hells, some of you guys are way too forgiving with your opinions.

Also, I really don't know how I feel about those descriptions of those three eps. Some of these plots feel like they're moving way too fast, and others way too slow.