[Book Spoilers] EP302 Discussion

Ran

I have no idea how they are going to convince me that Shae will betray Tyrion because he marries Sansa. She didn't seem like the jealous type at all in season 2.

I think some of the fault for lack of character development or believability can be blamed upon the pacing. They have to get through so much so quickly that they can only spend just little time with each character. And Dany wasn't even in this episode! Craziness.

What would she of been jealous of in Season 2?

This episode did contain a few plot holes if you think about it.

1. I interpreteted that the reeds, through Jojens Warging, found out that Bran was alive. How come they didnt send a Raven to robb to inform him? if you are going to walk like hundreds of miles to find him, you might consider making that small effort aswell.

What makes you think they want the fact that Bran (and Rickon) are alive known?

In the books, they all quite specifically are trying to hide that fact from everybody. Sending that information to Robb doesn't help them and only runs the risk of them being alive being known.

Jojen's goal never had anything to do with keeping an Heir to Winterfell alive, by the way. He only is trying to get him to the 3 eyed crow. Even if they could send a message just to Robb, they likely wouldn't, since he would probably hinder their quest, not help it. Robb & Cat wouldn't just let them go north of the wall.

I know we all wanted Arya to do better in the swordfight, but I wonder if part of the point of that scene was that she needs to get Needle back? In the books, she thinks a lot about missing Needle, but it isn't something she talks about much. The bigger sword doesn't work for her, and now she's realized it on screen. I'm assuming that they will keep some version of the scene with her and Sandor in the bar, killing some of Clegane's men and getting Needle back.

Here is my review.

I LOVE ROOSE BOLTON !!!

I think he is perfectly cast and should get more dialogue. Hopefully with what happens he will.

Diana Rigg is great as Queen of Thorns. Perfectly cast too. As a young lasy she looks like a Tyrell.... Perfect.

I'm not a major fan of Jojen yet! Although he probably will grow on me.

even though i have always liked diana rigg, i just couldnt get over the fact that Maggie Smith was not cast for the role. She basicly plays that sort of edler female character in every Movie/TV-series she has done since Gosford Park...

but Rigg played the part beautifully, and when you think about it Maggie Smith does have a very strong posh brittish accent wich would probably be hard to hide and out of place since it would deviate from Margaery and Loras accents.

Diana Rigg is great as Queen of Thorns. Perfectly cast too. As a young lasy she looks like a Tyrell.... Perfect.

Yeah, what's great is that Diana Rigg looked a lot like Natalie Dormer when she was younger. This show is generally pretty good about casting families.

I have to say I'm with you on this this.I mean I'm no sadist, but if someone's getting tourtured I think it should make you cringe a bit. It doesnt have to be graphic, the sceen in the recent "Utopia" is a great example. Not overly gory but quite disturbing.

Some things ping differently on different people's bodies. Even though I've read a lot of slasher/thriller/horror/vore books I was quite disturbed by seeing the "minor" finger-nail removal and foot-screwing done to Theon. The finger-nail made me cringe more than the foot crushing.

I know we all wanted Arya to do better in the swordfight, but I wonder if part of the point of that scene was that she needs to get Needle back? In the books, she thinks a lot about missing Needle, but it isn't something she talks about much. The bigger sword doesn't work for her, and now she's realized it on screen. I'm assuming that they will keep some version of the scene with her and Sandor in the bar, killing some of Clegane's men and getting Needle back.

can't wait! this scene willl be SWEET! i hope the beric & sandor fight is in episode 3 then after he kills beric they let arya leave willingly with the hound. also i belive melisandre might take the place of the woods witch & make some prophicies/visions with thoros

Edited by theREALjonsnow

Yet the first thing Cat does when she sees Tyrion is to arrest him,

No the first thing she does is try to avoid him and only arrests him after he had seen her thus compromising her safety in respects to knowledge she had known at that time.

I felt it was more about showing that she's still just a little girl with very little experience or training.

Its a lead-up to

her training in Braavos

She's got the attitude down, but needs the skill.

Don't get me wrong, i love her character, mostly coz she just keeps getting better!

I felt it was more about showing that she's still just a little girl with very little experience or training.

Yeah, it would be quite unrealistic if she able to hold off an accomplished battle/tournament hardened fighter such as Thoros even for a little while in how she was only received like a month's worth of training in how to fight.

Looks like they are dragging this season. Dialogue is very weak and scenes are slow paced compared to past seasons.

The thing is, not much happened in the first two episodes of S2 either, but Dinklage and Headey's acting in their dialogue scenes carried those episodes. What 3x01 and 3x02 has really lacked is good dialogue scenes, with the exception of Tyrion and Tywin in EP1, QoT - Sansa and Margaery - Joffery in EP2

they should have cut the Tyrion - Shae scene in episode two and squeezed in a scene with Varys. The way the character is written and played, any scene that includes him is guaranteed to bring a spine-chilling dialogue, and since he basicly knows about most of whats going on in the story, he works as a nice "Narrator" character that ties togheter the different storylines.

Edited by Maester Ruin

Reposting what I posted in the DOES THIS SEEM RUSHED? thread because it's relevant here as well:

Realistically, even season one feels a bit rushed at times. I know this is just whining and wishful thinking, but the first season(if they had the budget, and the actors to cast for Roose Bolton and Edmure/Brynden and all that) could've been excellent as 12 or 13 episodes.

Season two and the first two episodes of season three all feel horribly rushed and horribly slow at the same time.

Plot wise, it's all moving QUITE fast - but since they cut off SO MUCH of the meat off the bone and we're left with little to no details or discussions in show, everything feels super fast paced and individual scenes just don't FEEL important. On a lesser scale, however, individual scenes and ESPECIALLY individual character arks seem to be horribly slow, feel drawn out and overall feel like they're going no where.

It's kind of an interesting fail paradox the show has gotten itself into.

I've liked everything about Season 3 so far, but I can't wait for

Shae to get strangled to death her character is annoying and pointless.

There's no need for spoiler tags for things that happens in this book, seeing how the thread is tagged with [book Spoilers].

I agree with you in that Shae is the only character I don't like in the show. I like neither the character nor the actress but I'm still dreading the strangling scene a bit, mainly because most directors/writers don't seem to have a clue about how to strangle someone to death. To strangle someone until they pass out is actually pretty harmless.

Since there's no chain to represent the office of Hand of the King I pretty much hope that he stabs her with the pin instead. That's harder to screw up.

Edited by Tywin's bastard

Since there's no chain to represent the office of Hand of the King I pretty much hope that he stabs her with the pin instead. That's harder to screw up.

I would much prefer a single gruesome stabbing to the heart myself. Choking is always so uncomfortable and awkward to watch in any movies or TV because it always comes off cheesy, over dramatic or unrealistic - or any mixture of the three. It's a hard thing to pull off correctly in film, I think.