[No Spoilers] EP302 Discussion

Ran

Non-spoiler discussion of the show goes here, for those who've not read the books or those who have but are happy to not actually reference them at all in discussion, taking each episode as it comes.

This topic should open automatically when the show begins airing.

Where have I heard of Thoros of Myr? Is it in the first book? Or was he in previous episodes, I can't remember, but I have heard the name.

Thoros is mentioned in the books as winning the melee at the Hand's Tourney; he is a great fighter but also a somewhat ridiculous figure, prone to gluttony and drunkenness (which is why King Robert got along with him so well) and choosing to fight tourneys and battles with a ridiculously theatrical, flaming sword.

He is mentioned in the show in Season1 during a conversation between Jory Cassell and Jaime Lannister. They are reminiscing about the battle at Pyke where "Thoros of Myr" was the first one through the gate, attacking the Greyjoys with his flaming sword. This detail is from the books as well.

Thoros is a red priest, like Melisandre although, unlike the red woman, he was not known for his piety or his seriousness.

Edited by Khal Pono

Thoros is mentioned in the books as winning the melee at the Hand's Tourney; he is a great fighter but also a somewhat ridiculous figure, prone to gluttony and drunkenness (which is why King Robert got along with him so well) and choosing to fight tourneys and battles with a ridiculously theatrical, flaming sword.

He is mentioned in the show in Season1 during a conversation between Jory Cassell and Jaime Lannister. They are reminiscing about the battle at Pyke where "Thoros of Myr" was the first one through the gate, attacking the Greyjoys with his flaming sword. This detail is from the books as well.

Thoros is a red priest, like Melisandre although, unlike the red woman, he was not known for his piety or his seriousness.

Ok, that makes sense now, for some reason I pictured that character differently. In the first book, wasn't there a guy who stormed one of the holds with a flaming sword? Was that him?

Ok, that makes sense now, for some reason I pictured that character differently. In the first book, wasn't there a guy who stormed one of the holds with a flaming sword? Was that him?

Jaime and Jory reminisce about Thoros rushing over a bridge with his flaming sword at Pyke, right before Jaime delivers a great foreshadowing line about how he doubts Theon is a good lad.

Jaime and Jory reminisce about Thoros rushing over a bridge with his flaming sword at Pyke, right before Jaime delivers a great foreshadowing line about how he doubts Theon is a good lad.

It seems like he was mentioned in the book as having one arm or something like that but I can't remember. I'm reading the second book now so i'll have to wait until I get to the third to really get a feel for what is going on.(with Thoros anway) Edited by theJoker501

Was anyone else as distraught as I was when Rob and Cat discussed the "available option" of Bran and Rickon's possible survival of the burning of Winterfell?

Did I miss the part of the TV series where they learned they weren't actually charred?

(really pushing to remember this one!)

I don't think they ever knew about the burned children, at least it did not mention it in the show that I can remember.

It seems like he was mentioned in the book as having one arm or something like that but I can't remember. I'm reading the second book now so i'll have to wait until I get to the third to really get a feel for what is going on.(with Thoros anway)

You are probably thinking of the blacksmith at the Wall, Jon Snow's friend Donal Noye who is not in the show. He lost an arm during the Greyjoy rebellion, but Thoros didn't. A lot of major characters fought in the Greyjoy Rebellion, including Ned and Robert of course, and Jorah Mormont.

I don't think they ever knew about the burned children, at least it did not mention it in the show that I can remember.

That's correct. No one outside of Winterfell found out about that because Theon killed all the ravens in the show.

Edited by Khal Pono

It seems like he was mentioned in the book as having one arm or something like that but I can't remember. I'm reading the second book now so i'll have to wait until I get to the third to really get a feel for what is going on.(with Thoros anway)

He has both arms. He's a red priest but admittedly a terrible one. Physically I think he's a bit plump from all his boozing and hedonism, but he is still a capable fighter. He changes a bit in the third book but I won't spoil anything even though its not really plot defining.

You are probably thinking of the blacksmith at the Wall, Jon Snow's friend Donal Noye who is not in the show. He lost an arm during the Greyjoy rebellion, but Thoros didn't. A lot of major characters fought in the Greyjoy Rebellion, including Ned and Robert of course, and Jorah Mormont.

That's correct. No one outside of Winterfell found out about that because Theon killed all the ravens in the show.

He has both arms. He's a red priest but admittedly a terrible one. Physically I think he's a bit plump from all his boozing and hedonism, but he is still a capable fighter. He changes a bit in the third book but I won't spoil anything even though its not really plot defining.

That's right Donal and jon were talking about that in the book, I confused myself.

I remember Theon killing the ravens also.

What about The Hound, I wish I would have read ahead in the book but I told myself I wouldn't. I think when I catch up though I am going to continue reading, because the show is hard to keep up with, without all the extra info in the book.

Also I think I know who has Theon captive. The contraption he's hanging on makes me think of a certain group of people who's sigil is the same shape.

That's right Donal and jon were talking about that in the book, I confused myself.

What about The Hound, I wish I would have read ahead in the book but I told myself I wouldn't. I think when I catch up though I am going to continue reading, because the show is hard to keep up with, without all the extra info in the book.

Also I think I know who has Theon captive. The contraption he's hanging on makes me think of a certain group of people who's sigil is the same shape.

What about the Hound? So far his appearance is in line with the book. Theon's captor will probably be made quite clear next week, perhaps the following week.

What about the Hound? So far his appearance is in line with the book. Theon's captor will probably be made quite clear next week, perhaps the following week.

Well, since I am not that far in the books I was just surprised to see him as a captive(the Hound that is). So I am assuming that my speculations are probably wrong about Theon's captors. Edited by theJoker501

Brienne beating Jaime was quite a satisfying scene.

Gosh I can't believe I can't remember this from the books. Theon killed the ravens from telling that "Bran" and "Rickon" are dead, right? Then when Ramsay burned Winterfell, Catelyn assumes that Bran and Rickon were burned to death too?

Man I wish I had the CoK and SoS with me to verify...

Now I'll be nervous all week waiting to see if Sansa's words about Joffrey will come back to bite her. I know the QoT and Marg swore they wouldn't, but you never know.

I'm starting to trust no one at all in Westeros just on principle, as Littlefinger counseled Ned Stark before betraying him.

I didn't like Catelyn's "confession" to Talisa - inconsistent with her character from the books, if I'm not mistaken...but I guess they wanted to make her more sympathetic for the TV show.

In the books when she learns of Bran and Rickon's death she confesses her grief to Brienne, which of course results in a very different scene. Brienne is awkward as always and doesn't know what to say. "there are no words."