[No Spoilers] EP302 Discussion

Ran

In the books when she learns of Bran and Rickon's death she confesses her grief to Brienne, which of course results in a very different scene. Brienne is awkward as always and doesn't know what to say. "there are no words."

Indeed. And, if I remember correctly,

in the chapter right before RW he even tries to persuade Robb not to make Jon his heir; so no "atonement" for Catelyn regarding her view of Jon Snow

Edited by Turin Turambar

Would do y'all think of Roose Bolton

I love Roose! In the show and in the books. But I imagine new viewers want to know more about this "Bastard" of his he keeps talking about.

Since I shouldn't be discussing the books in this show, I'll just say I think the actor playing Bolton does a great job with Roose's coldness. I also love/hate that EVERY time Robb and Talisa are canoodling going back to Season 2, he always happens to be there. It's getting kind of funny.

I love Roose! In the show and in the books. But I imagine new viewers want to know more about this "Bastard" of his he keeps talking about.

Since I shouldn't be discussing the books in this show, I'll just say I think the actor playing Bolton does a great job with Roose's coldness. I also love/hate that EVERY time Robb and Talisa are canoodling going back to Season 2, he always happens to be there. It's getting kind of funny.

I fucking HATE Roose!!! but I will say and give credit, the actor does a fantastic job at his portrayal of the Lord of the Dreadfort

And yes that is funny how he pops up every time Talisa and His Grace want privacy

The actor who plays Roose also reminds me of Daniel Craig, they both have those deep eyes.

Jojen tells Bran quite seriously that the most important thing is him, Bran.

My speculation about that is this: Could it be that in the end, that Bran is destined to become King of Westeros? Wouldn't that be something, a damaged, fey* boy who dreams of the future and wargs into his wolf, could sit on the iron throne.

*fey = otherworldly, mysterious

I know he got his ear bit off in real life

:eek:

Seven Hells! But yeah, probably trying to keep Robb's "posse" to a manageable size. Cool as the Greatjon is, with Cat, Talisa, and the lords Bolton and Karstark running around, he does seem the most expendable character. Pity, though.

ETA: Did a bit of a double take at Bran's voice the first time around. Guess having your ancestral home razed has a way of kicking off puberty?

Edited by Godlikebuthumble

Another question, where is Greatjohn Umber, I know he got his ear bit off in real life, but where is he supposed to be? He was Rob's right hand man now Roose has taken over.

The actor left the show after Season 1 (because he had other work) and the producers never invited him back. I guess they figured he was a good character, but not essential. I don't really mind this, though I enjoy Umber's character in the books. I do wish, however, that they would have added a tiny bit of exposition explaining where he went (he's off raiding the gold mines of the Westerlands or something).

Another question, where is Greatjohn Umber, I know he got his ear bit off in real life, but where is he supposed to be? He was Rob's right hand man now Roose has taken over.

I know! I loved him in season 1! I wish D&D would stop giving characters the boot.. ok, ok I know it's a large cast, it gets expensive, blah blah. He was just a much needed comic relief and was such a lively character.

I won't get into the Mountain replacement or the whole killing off Irri (whatever happened to Jhiqui?). I won't...

Now I'll be nervous all week waiting to see if Sansa's words about Joffrey will come back to bite her. I know the QoT and Marg swore they wouldn't, but you never know.

What, and give up their source?

There's really no motivation for them to stab her in the back, since a.) she's still useful for them by providing Margaery insight into how she can manipulate Joffrey, and b.) there's not a lot of good ways to do it that don't immediately raise a couple of red flags, if not in Joffrey's mind then in Cersei's, regarding Margaery and Olenna in the first place. It seems to me it would be harder for Margaery to take advantage of Joffrey's... proclivities... if she simultaneously points the finger at Sansa for discussing those proclivities.

What, and give up their source?

There's really no motivation for them to stab her in the back, since a.) she's still useful for them by providing Margaery insight into how she can manipulate Joffrey, and b.) there's not a lot of good ways to do it that don't immediately raise a couple of red flags, if not in Joffrey's mind then in Cersei's, regarding Margaery and Olenna in the first place. It seems to me it would be harder for Margaery to take advantage of Joffrey's... proclivities... if she simultaneously points the finger at Sansa for discussing those proclivities.

Ah, thank you. Yes, that all makes sense.

Where have I heard of Thoros of Myr? Is it in the first book? Or was he in previous episodes, I can't remember, but I have heard the name.

Season 1 if I'm correct. And yes he was in the first book :)

But people this is the non-book topic. No talks about books. :)

what did the non-book readers thing of the scene with Cat and Talisa about Jon?

Season 1 if I'm correct. And yes he was in the first book :)

But people this is the non-book topic. No talks about books. :)

what did the non-book readers thing of the scene with Cat and Talisa about Jon?

As a viewer who just this morning started the first book, I will say that I thought the scene made sense within the context of what had been told thus far in the series. Catelyn has shown herself to be a caring, very involved mother who feels things very deeply. It seems to fit in with the person/character I've come to know by watching the series, that she would blame herself for how events have unfolded, and feel sorry for how she has treated Jon Snow.

I hadn't really understood why she treated Jon so badly when he came to tell the unconscious Bran goodbye, but the reasons became clear right afterward. I did wonder at times as Season 1 and 2 unfolded, why a woman who clearly adored her own children could have turned away from a helpless baby, especially since he must have been an amazingly cute little boy!

I guess I just figured she must have felt terribly betrayed when her husband showed up with his illegitimate baby by another woman, but I did think she kind of overreacted for many years. So what she told Talisa kind of eased my mind about that part of it. Like, aha, so she is self-aware enough to know she should have loved him more and not been so eager to blame and scapegoat a helpless little kid/terrific young man.

Jojen tells Bran quite seriously that the most important thing is him, Bran.

My speculation about that is this: Could it be that in the end, that Bran is destined to become King of Westeros? Wouldn't that be something, a damaged, fey* boy who dreams of the future and wargs into his wolf, could sit on the iron throne.

*fey = otherworldly, mysterious

Could be! That's definitely one possible reason they've been searching for him for a while-- maybe Jojen saw something in a dream?