Charles Dance deserves awards

Ser Sourleaf

I've been re-reading book 3 since the season started and I just can't get over the performance of Charles Dance. His portrayal of Tywin has eclipsed the character as I had pictured him from reading the books. His scene with Tyrion in episode 1 was more powerful than reading it. Of course it helps that his monologue was taken almost word for word from the book. I know it's early, but I would be disappointed if Dance does not at least get nominated for a few awards this season.

I've been re-reading book 3 since the season started and I just can't get over the performance of Charles Dance. His portrayal of Tywin has eclipsed the character as I had pictured him from reading the books. His scene with Tyrion in episode 1 was more powerful than reading it. Of course it helps that his monologue was taken almost word for word from the book. I know it's early, but I would be disappointed if Dance does not at least get nominated for a few awards this season.

He's been at work since the early 70's.

Amazingly no Emmy nominations, not that many films, so no Oscar nominations.

He has a ton of those lessor awards on IMDB some winners.

But he's been good for so long it is amazing he is not better known.

(O yes he is a very well known stage actor.)

Which brings me to something I have meant to note.

Some people have had qualms about the characters in GRRMs books and those on the screen.

Peter and Charles are great examples. Fine actors always bring another dimension no matter how well written on the page.

I see fine actors shaping characters because they can't help their remarkable talents.

We will have to live with it.

I actually ended up sympathizing with Tywin. TV Tyrion acts much more foolishly. That scene with Tyrion in the Northern brothel gave credibility to Tywins fear of Tyrion turning Casterly Rock into a whorehouse. It was pathetic, shameful and stupid to flaunt his drunkeness and whoring. In the books he was far more subdued and bookish. Tywins fears had less grounds.

I completely agree. I think Charles Dance is fantastic as Tywin Lannister. In the books this character is just like a piece of iron, but through Charles Dance he becomes interesting and even likable. Scenes with him and Tyrion together are just great.

• 1 month later...

Dance is such an epic actor. Its fun to watch him be silly. Check out the talk show clip with Dance, Rose Leslie and Kit Harrington below

LOL! I love his adorable embarrassed blush and quick, witty recovery when the host asks him about any upcoming nude scenes for Tywin. :laugh:

Archived