[BOOK SPOILERS] Spot the book deviations

teemo

Let's play spot the book deviations and what we liked and didn't like?

Jon Snow monologue

Shae is really, really jealous

Olenna is awesome but I feel like they made her a little less witty....I almost feel like they're scared of being accused of copying the Dowager Countess (even though this book was way before that).

Shae and Sansa friendship. They are obviously tying that together with Littlefinger and Ros to make sense of all them.

The only book change that I seriously really hated in this episode is Cat's monologue. Not really a big fan of the focus on the supposedly strained relationship between Joffrey and Cersei either.

In good news, we don't know exactly what went down with Ramsay/Theon at the beginning, so I'm looking forward to that the most at this point.

I liked Jojen and Meera's intro in the show a lot more than the books. It just made them seem more enigmatic, more powerful, and more important overall.

Catelyn's story about Jon was...weird. It doesn't bother me, necessarily but it was definitely a strange addition. It's one of those instances (like Dany's vision of the Iron Throne destroyed and covered in snow) where I feel like the showrunners know important things about the end of the series, and thus are purposely foreshadowing events that the book readers could have no inkling to. I really don't think they just make up random shit like that for the sake of it (though that's how many book readers seem to feel).

Rickon going off without Asha is different. Also a bit weird that they're all like ok no problem he'll be fine lol.

Did he just leave.... For good? I hope he is just looking for some berries or something like that.

I liked Jojen and Meera's intro in the show a lot more than the books. It just made them seem more enigmatic, more powerful, and more important overall.

Catelyn's story about Jon was...weird. It doesn't bother me, necessarily but it was definitely a strange addition. It's one of those instances (like Dany's vision of the Iron Throne destroyed and covered in snow) where I feel like the showrunners know important things about the end of the series, and thus are purposely foreshadowing events that the book readers could have no inkling to. I really don't think they just make up random shit like that for the sake of it (though that's how many book readers seem to feel).

I agree with this more or less. I really liked the Reed intro, and I'm actually glad they saved it for now.

-Cat feelings/thoughts about Jon

-The way Arya meets the BWB and the Hound (that's okay)

-Shae warning Sansa about PB and telling it to Tyrion, and she being jealous of Tyrion's other women

-Joffrey and Margaery getting along

-How Theon getting tortured

-Late Reeds introduction (that's okay, too)

Why did Jojen say he was just like Bran?

Green Dreamers and Green Seers are quite different. And it's Jojen who explains it Bran in the books, so why not right here when they had the chance.

I really wanted to see a big fat fool dancing on the table doing a handstand and signing the Bear and the Maiden Fair.

WTF, Brienne didn't even hurt the Kingslayer. A little nick on the leg would have been nice. They're fncking swords; people get sliced and stabbed.

I mentioned this elsewhere, but Cat and Robb thinking Bran and Rickon may have run off instead of being dead. It's such a big plot point that everyone believes Bran and Rickon are dead. OK, they already messed up Cat's reasoning for letting Jaime go, but then at the RW, Robb's essentially her only child left, when they make Robb's will, they think the boys are dead, Tyrion marries Sansa because she's Robb's heir, Boltons pull Fake Arya because she's the heir to Winterfell.

ETA - It was mentioned that Theon killed all the ravens and that's why word didn't get out of their deaths. But, Robb received word from the Boltons, right? In tonight's ep, I mean.

Pretty much every scene except for the Queen of Thorns introduction was a deviation from the book. Not all, or even many, of the deviations were necessarily bad (for example, I'd argue that the Jojen Reed comes off much better in the show than in the book, where he became annoying to me rather quickly), but deviations certainly abound in nearly every scene.

Archived