[BOOK SPOILERS] Spot the book deviations

teemo

I wonder why Robb didn't receive word that Bran and Rickon were dead ... maybe the Boltons just didn't find out about the fake deaths.

Maybe Theon did not confess yet to his torturer. We'll see how he'll reveal this to Ramsay.

I wonder why Robb didn't receive word that Bran and Rickon were dead ... maybe the Boltons just didn't find out about the fake deaths.

Because only the Ironborn and those inside of Winterfell (who are all dead) knew about this. (at least within the way things went down on the show, which was different)

Why is no one complaining about how much of a pussy they made Arya?

She wasn't a pussy, she tried to fight a grown man.

Thoros was a melee champion. Even book Arya would have gotten splatted if that fight happened. It's consistent with the logic of the books.

Why is no one complaining about how much of a pussy they made Arya?

Not nice to call a girl like that.

She draws a sword on a well experienced and renowned fighter. What is an 11 year old girl supposed to beat him? I like that they're not going with the super deadly pre-pubescent girl thing until her story is fleshed out.

Agree.

She draws a sword on a well experienced and renowned fighter. What is an 11 year old girl supposed to beat him? I like that they're not going with the super deadly pre-pubescent girl thing until her story is fleshed out.

No, not beat him - but maybe at least show a SINGLE water dancer move before having the sword knocked out of her hand. And then she just... gave up. Arya is pretty stubborn in the books, even if it got her in trouble she would have tried to attack him again.

No, not beat him - but maybe at least show a SINGLE water dancer move before having the sword knocked out of her hand. And then she just... gave up. Arya is pretty stubborn in the books, even if it got her in trouble she would have tried to attack him again.

It's a longsword. It's damn heavy and she's holding it one handed. I'm surprised she could hold it up at all.

lol, I also thought Arya acted a little silly in that scene as well. It's been awhile since my last re-read, but I distinctly remember Arya seriously realizing she was out of her league when she saw Anguy shoot an arrow. She was like, "oh shit." Drawing a sword like that was goofy. Not only that, but when Arya draws a sword she means business...here she kind of wimped out...

I just don't understand the Bran/Rickon thing. It is SO important. I wonder if they just feel like it's too dark and depressing? It gives such meaning and significance to what happens at the RW. Cat has lost everything (at this point she's totally given up on Sansa) and Robb, her last hope, dies before her eyes. It is not the same for Bran/Rickon to be missing. Also, the plot implications with the fear of Sansa inheriting Winterfell are incredibly important. Again, it's just not quite the same for them simply to be missing. It takes away the gut-wrenchingness of it all.

Also, I know he doesn't do that much, but I just don't understand why they didn't cast Harwin. Arya coming across someone from the North and feeling betrayed by him, especially when he chases her down when she tried to escape, was such an important part of her storyline for me. And the little references to Winterfell and Ned/Jon - that stuff really had resonance! They could have given him the Ned Dayne stuff in addition to his own. It just baffles me. It seems like such an obvious choice. I didn't know how much I would miss the character until they left him out.

It's a longsword. It's damn heavy and she's holding it one handed. I'm surprised she could hold it up at all.

What do you think all the training with heavier wooden swords was for? Yes, it was intended for Needle - but she never got to that point before having to leave Syrio and KL. The point was to be so used to heavier blades so that Needle would feel like nothing.

What do you think all the training with heavier wooden swords was for? Yes, it was intended for Needle - but she never got to that point before having to leave Syrio and KL. The point was to be so used to heavier blades so that Needle would feel like nothing.

So, do you think ANY version of Arya should be able to do anything against a Melee champion? It would be unrealistic and silly both in the books and on screen.

It showed that Arya will fight anybody, and serves to provide characterization.

If she had whooped Thoros, it would be like one of those silly "3 ninjas" movies where little kids beat up on physically able adults.

Combining Tom o Sevens and Thoros is not cool

Well I didn't like the fact that they combine them as well, but in the other hand I loved Paul Kaye performance and I believe that he will make Thoros one of the favorite characters specially among non-readers.

Rickon going off without Asha is different. Also a bit weird that they're all like ok no problem he'll be fine lol.

Well I didn't get the feeling at the moment that he was going for good, I mean, I thought that he was just going for a walk and Bran send the wolves with him to protect him, but if he did go off without Asha, I will hate it, because it's nonsense to send a small boy away without anyone saying anything about it.

Why did Jojen say he was just like Bran?

Green Dreamers and Green Seers are quite different. And it's Jojen who explains it Bran in the books, so why not right here when they had the chance.

I was expecting some better explanation as well, but maybe it will happen in another episode, well at least I hope so.

I really wanted to see a big fat fool dancing on the table doing a handstand and signing the Bear and the Maiden Fair.

Really missed the Bear and the Maiden Fair too. Also found strange that Thoros was singing the Rains of Castamere.

Well I was surprised with the fact that she could handle the sword in one hand, I mean that's was really amazing enough for a girl in her age. In the other hand I got the feeling that Maisie Williams was not very good in the scenes, I mean didn't like her too much in this scene as I liked her during the previous seasons.

Archived