[BOOK SPOILERS] Spot the book deviations

teemo

- Some people actually think Rickon was running off to Skagos? :lol:

- Arya's scenes were handled just fine. She's a little girl, and a very small one at that. Thoros is a battle hardened warrior that's been fighting and killing for years. Her even coming close to giving Thoros competition would be ridiculous. The point was to show that she's got guts but also has a lot to learn.

- Catelyn's scene was great and very in line with her character. I don't get this "character assassination" stuff at all.

- I like Mance and Tormund, and I don't think they're as different from their book counterparts as some other people do.

I caught that too, I hope they don't leave that certain person out later in the series. Maybe the're combining the raven and the "winged wolf" together? This could still leave an introduction for BR; Jojen never actually said your The last greenseer.

Calling Bran the 3EC doesn't preclude the show from including BR.

Remember:

BR never actually admits to being the 3EC. Just "a crow."

"Are you the three-eyed crow?"

"A... crow? Once, aye. Black of garb and black of blood."

I think this forum's attitude to the TV series is summed up by the fact that some people though Rickon was running off to Skagos.

C'mon he was clearly just going for a short run!

I reckon Rickon and Yosha (I forgot her name oops) will depart from Bran, Hodor and the Reeds at Queenscrown this series which will be near the series finale.

I think this forum's attitude to the TV series is summed up by the fact that some people though Rickon was running off to Skagos.

C'mon he was clearly just going for a short run!

I reckon Rickon and Yosha (I forgot her name oops) will depart from Bran, Hodor and the Reeds at Queenscrown this series which will be near the series finale.

Seriously. WTF is that about? Do people think that little of the show that they actually believe the Bran/Rickon parting would be like "See ya later! Here's a wolf to look out for you!" I thought it was pretty clear that Rickon was just wandering off for a bit, and also to showcase some of Rickon's wildness.

It no one else concerned that Jojen told Bran that the three eyed crow was him? That better not mean that they're leaving out a certain tree person.

I caught that too, I hope they don't leave that certain person out later in the series. Maybe the're combining the raven and the "winged wolf" together? This could still leave an introduction for BR; Jojen never actually said your The last greenseer.

I agree. I hope they aren't going to eliminate the Three-Eyed Crow from the series.

Thoros pulled a Stannis-the-Mannis (referring to Stannis during the Blackwater episode) at Pyke during the Greyjoy rebellion. He was the first to jump the walls and go to town on ironborn. He's a pretty gung-ho warrior.

Yes, Thoros of Myr is a total badass. Not only has he won tourney melees but he's been through real warfare as well.

Calling Bran the 3EC doesn't preclude the show from including BR.

Remember:

BR never actually admits to being the 3EC. Just "a crow."

But the name "Three-Eyed Crow" is such a wonderful, obvious hint as to who he actually is when people figure it out! As I said above, I hope they don't write him out of the series.

I do love how in this season characters keep breaking 4th wall to give homage to books - and comments on boards

First one when Cersei (in ep 1) says to Tyrion - "I heard you lost your nose"

And second one, when Gendry basically taunts Arya on having 3 chances to kill someone and change the tide of war and her choosing some random little nasty people. I remember there were a lot of comments complaining on why Arya didn't choose to kills Cersei, Joffrey, Tywin and Gendry lines were basically that.

I so love this. I hope they will continue doing it.

I guess I'm amused, for lack of a better word, by this type of discussion.

The only practical purpose of spotting or discussing the "deviations" would be purely instructional -- helping student/aspiring screenwriters better understand the adaptation process. What other purpose is there for comparing two very different art forms, prose fiction and long-form TV drama?

The books serve as source material for the TV show and that's where it ends. Review the books, review the show, but if you start criticizing the TV show as a direct representation of the books, you don't understand what it means to adapt material for film or television. I would even use the term "translation" loosely, as it doesn't really define the process of adapting material from another art form.

I suppose book fans are entitled to "missing" their favorite moments or scenes, but that isn't really relevant to a honest critique of the show's writing on its own merits. More specifically, saying you didn't like how something was changed or left out doesn't address the question of:Did the change or omission from the book work in the TV drama format? -- meaning did non-readers miss something or get less enjoyment from the overall production because of the changes/omissions? It would be hard to make that case in the negative for any specific change or omission given the increasing popularity of the show and yearly increases in the show's ratings. Not that popularity always equals quality (Britney Spears), but the subscription nature of the HBO business model does indicate that that mostly adult word of mouth about the show after two seasons has been extremely positive and makes people want to tune in via subscription. In the case of GoT, I think we can fairly attribute that to a well written, well produced show.

Lastly, if you say you "missed" something from the book, keep in mind that character or scene only really exists in your head, as no two readers experience a work of prose fiction in their head in an identical manner. That is one of the major differences between the two mediums, reading vs. viewing. One is a personal experience existing in the mind's eye, they other a shared concrete experience of characters and events.

There are a lot of smart people here, but some horribly dumb ones that don't even stop for a second to think about things. This Rickon thing is just one example.

I agree. I don't understand why people have a problem with that scene. Dramatically it's arguably the best scene in this episode.

A LOT of non book readers LOVED that scene.

Robb needs more scenes like that if they want people to give a shit about him before the RW

I guess I'm amused, for lack of a better word, by this type of discussion.

The only practical purpose of spotting or discussing the "deviations" would be purely instructional -- helping student/aspiring screenwriters better understand the adaptation process. What other purpose is there for comparing two very different art forms, prose fiction and long-form TV drama?

The books serve as source material for the TV show and that's where it ends. Review the books, review the show, but if you start criticizing the TV show as a direct representation of the books, you don't understand what it means to adapt material for film or television. I would even use the term "translation" loosely, as it doesn't really define the process of adapting material from another art form.

I suppose book fans are entitled to "missing" their favorite moments or scenes, but that isn't really relevant to a honest critique of the show's writing on its own merits. More specifically, saying you didn't like how something was changed or left out doesn't address the question of:Did the change or omission from the book work in the TV drama format? -- meaning did non-readers miss something or get less enjoyment from the overall production because of the changes/omissions? It would be hard to make that case in the negative for any specific change or omission given the increasing popularity of the show and yearly increases in the show's ratings. Not that popularity always equals quality (Britney Spears), but the subscription nature of the HBO business model does indicate that that mostly adult word of mouth about the show after two seasons has been extremely positive and makes people want to tune in via subscription. In the case of GoT, I think we can fairly attribute that to a well written, well produced show.

Lastly, if you say you "missed" something from the book, keep in mind that character or scene only really exists in your head, as no two readers experience a work of prose fiction in their head in an identical manner. That is one of the major differences between the two mediums, reading vs. viewing. One is a personal experience existing in the mind's eye, they other a shared concrete experience of characters and events.

Well said. I have read the five available books and the only problem I have with the T.V. show is the limited budget. Imagine if they had they money to do more battle scenes like the Blackwater episode. It's a pity they could have filmed the capture of Jaime Lannister when he killed all those soldiers or the battle with the White Walkers.

lol, I also thought Arya acted a little silly in that scene as well. It's been awhile since my last re-read, but I distinctly remember Arya seriously realizing she was out of her league when she saw Anguy shoot an arrow. She was like, "oh shit." Drawing a sword like that was goofy. Not only that, but when Arya draws a sword she means business...here she kind of wimped out...

Arya was a lot more sensible by the time she met the brotherhood in the book. I didn't like how they handled that scene. Liked the re-introduction of The Hound though.

Changes I did not like:

Jojen saying Bran is the 3EC. What is that about? I'm assuming we'll get more scenes of them trudging along and explaining things. They got a lot of important stuff out on the table, so that's good. Name dropping Howland Reed finally. But I thought they undersold his importance to Ned.

Shae and Tyrion's too-long scene. They could have cut it in half or so and I'd have no complaints. But it is what it is at this point.

Brienne not landing a blow on Jaime in their fight.

Excluding the Reed's oath

Changes I did not mind:

Cat's "I love Jon Snow" thing. The more I think about it, the less I care. She showed how much she hated Jon Snow in it, and she showed reasonable guilt. The whole "everything is my fault" bit was weird, but her father just died and she's a bit unhinged at this point.

Moving Theon's toture scenes up earlier

Changes I liked:

Any scene with Margaery. Natalie is killing it, let's be real.

Joffrey growing up and being a complete sicko, getting turned on by the thought of Marg killing someone

WTF Changes:

Bran and Rickon-- "they haven't found Bran & Rickon", implies that people were searching for them beforehand? I don't know, it was weird. They should be revealed as dead.

Renly asking Margaery for anal

- Some people actually think Rickon was running off to Skagos? :lol:

I read this last night. I couldn't watch the whole episode but I wondered... what in the name of God was shown that people thought that a six or seven years old would escape alone and the people in charge would let him? Did they even know that Skagos is an island? Was Rickon supposed to swim all the way there? Build a boat? Fly? There is not even the "Arya" argument because Arya is not doing it all by herself.

Unless they were all joking about it, but either way, LOL.

It's really funny because when such a episode has just recently been on tv there's so many bad and ignorant opinions flying around. But after a while these opinions are influenced by personalities like Linda and Elio and all the others and the bad ones just disappear because their ignorant comments are just embarassing after a while and won't nearly be voiced as frequently as right after a show.

In general there's an easy rule, people see what they want to see. It's human to see something completely negative or completely positive in a neutral thing like a tv show, it just depends on what you're biased towards. You'll hardly ever have a objective opinion because almost everyone is biased to one or the other extreme.

I'm just getting very negative feelings about many ignorant remarks here and the few good ones are not worth the bad mood i'm getting from reading here, right after an episode.

You know what's bugging me? Last season, Yara tells Theon that the entire North wants to see him hang for killing the Stark boys. So why hasn't Robb received the news yet? It's a plot hole they should have amended by now.

EDIT: Never mind. Theon killed all the ravens in the show.

But if the ENTIRE north knows, then surely the news would have made it to Rob by now. Atleast you would think so

Archived