[BOOK SPOILERS] Spot the book deviations

teemo

OTOH, I am now concerned how they will go from Arya who blunderingly tried to challenge Thoros to a sword fight to Arya with the FM.

I kind of loved that 1) she was stupid and arrogant enough to challenge Thoros to a sword fight, 2) he effortlessly disarmed her despite being drunk, and 3) she shut up, realized she was beaten, and meekly returned to her meal. She still showed intelligence and courage aplenty--trying to bluff her way out of a confrontation with Thoros earlier in the episode, coming up with a quick cover story on the fly when interrogated by Thoros--but she wasn't some kind of over-the-top wunderkind, and I appreciated it. What you see as troubling deviations from the book which render her transformation to an FM less credible, I see as glimmers of realism. As talented, brave and intelligent as Arya is most of the time, she's still just a kid, and I like that the show remembers that.

I caught it on demand today, as yesterday I was on top of a mountain. I fast forwarded through the Talisa/Cat scene as soon as I realised this was where she was going to commit character suicide. Hated the beginning. Ugh.

I hated the Cat scene at first, but reading posts on here and using hindsight, I don't mind it anymore. I find it strange to call it character assassination when you won't even allow yourself to view it, and therefore cannot discuss it.

meera = BOSSMODE

So awesome

Agreed! I am ridiculously attracted to showMeera already. Her conversation with Osha had me impressed because she kind of combined being flippant about her powers with needing to show compassion for others too. Damn.

I hated the Cat scene at first, but reading posts on here and using hindsight, I don't mind it anymore. I find it strange to call it character assassination when you won't even allow yourself to view it, and therefore cannot discuss it.

This. For all of you who are freaking out and throwing the phrase "character assassination" around like it's going out of style.

Agreed! I am ridiculously attracted to showMeera already. Her conversation with Osha had me impressed because she kind of combined being flippant about her powers with needing to show compassion for others too. Damn.

It was also quite ironic because Osha is going to be in her position soon. They were like mirrors of one another.

I was irritated with the changes to the show for a long time, but I had an epiphany this morning while spacing out at work.

The show and the book are completely different because they're telling different stories. It makes a lot of sense that the book's story isn't trying to be reflected on TV. Rather, it's being morphed into something that most people can actually understand, because the books are a lot of information and can get heavy for some, and the bulk of them cannot translate well without voiceovers. Yes, the characters are the same in most respects, and the overall plot as well. But the show is a different way of getting there than the books. And what the show chooses to focus on and what the book chooses to focus on are actually reflected plainly in their titles:

Game of Thrones - The show is about the Game. Who is playing, how they're playing, who will win, how do everyone's arcs tie together and back to King's Landing?

A Song of Ice and Fire - The books are about the song, the story. It's about symbolism, fantasy, clashing forces and how they can either work together or destroy each other.

I don't know. This probably doesn't mean anything to anyone else. I just had this epiphany about the titles and it made me come to terms with everything. Someone may have put weed in my breakfast pastry at Starbucks.

Good points Dr. Pepper. I think it's always a good idea to keep your words in mind. It's not easy for people who love books to not watch the shows and movies as visual representations of the story. The Harry Potter series was loved by so many (myself included) and JK Rowling knew when she signed contracts for films, her input was essential. Peter Jackson was adamant about staying true to the Lord of the Rings to please readers.

With A Game of Thrones it is a bit more tricky. Though DB Weiss & Benioff have a strong rapport with G rr Martin, it seems they always had plans to "adapt" our beloved A Song of Ice and Fire by the brilliant mind of George R.R. Martin for HBO.

As I said, I think it's important to keep in mind it's an adaptation, but it's impossible for ASOIAF aficionados to not ask how the story will develop with small and large changes in the story plot and the character's arc's.

Worth noting: the Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings movies weren't without their fair share of deviations from the source material to make it easier to adapt. (Also The Hobbit, but those changes seem to have been made with Peter Jackson's decision to turn those films into his equivalent of the Star Wars prequels...)

It's an adaptation. Changes are made, and its more worth noting what those changes tell us about a character than it is to nitpick over details that are ultimately just there for color. I, for one, am fascinated by the idea of Cat seeing her lack of love for Jon as a personal failing, or that Talisa exists to let us view Robb's choices as merely foolish instead of suicidally stupid (you know, since now he's just breaking a betrothal and not marrying into the house of his sworn enemy's bannerman).

Expecting every detail to come over unscathed is about as reasonable as complaining about how musicians "sell out".

As another poster mention at this point the changes are so vast and so numerous its become ridiculous.

Whole new scenes are invented and randomly inserted for no damn reason.

Then the scenes that they do keep from the book are radically altered into pure crap.

If you hate it so much why are you in the TV thread

Loras isn't a Kingsguard yet

But the point is he SHOULD be. Just like the whole Harrenhal plot has been twisted and morphed into something completely unrecognizable.

And Vis I watch the show because I love the books and I want to see my characters onscreen. I can't help that the writers are purposely effing up on a weekly basis. I mean they DO know that they just can make up sh*t and call it an episode and no one will complain right?

The Theon plot this season is beyond dumb...I mean its completely laughable but hey we get a few powerful scenes here and there (Maegary and Joffrey plus Sansa & the Queen of Thorns) so I'll continue to tune in.

But the point is he SHOULD be. Just like the whole Harrenhal plot has been twisted and morphed into something completely unrecognizable.

And Vis I watch the show because I love the books and I want to see my characters onscreen. I can't help that the writers are purposely effing up on a weekly basis. I mean they DO know that they just can make up sh*t and call it an episode and no one will complain right?

The Theon plot this season is beyond dumb...I mean its completely laughable but hey we get a few powerful scenes here and there (Maegary and Joffrey plus Sansa & the Queen of Thorns) so I'll continue to tune in.

1. Why should he be? Because he was right away in the books? Maybe they're going to use him instead of Willas for the marriage proposal, and as a result he will be made a Kingsgaurd to prevent that.

2. They are not your characters. The fact that you said that makes me think I shouldn't even try to have a discussion with you, so maybe this is in vain. They are Martin's characters, and he gave D&D the right to use them for an adaptation. An adaptation. Not a clone. It's not the same thing, it was never meant to be the same thing. It could never be the same thing because books and visual media are completely different.

3. They can make up whatever they want because it's their interpretation of the story.

4. From the 5 minutes of Theon's arc, you have concluded it's "beyond dumb"? You realize it is so far the same as what he went through in the books?

5. Margaery and Joffrey's scene was not in the book, yet you like it. I fail to see your logic here.

And I didn't ask why you watch it. I asked why you came in the thread specifically to say that it's crap and the writers are "purposely effing up " and all of that. I just don't understand why you would come in here just to say you hate something. Seems silly.

I cant believe how mean the show has turned Marge! When she said she wanted to kill a kid in front of Joff i was like, whaaaaaat. She is like a female Joff, watch out six kingdoms, yeesh.

Why do you assume that she wanted a kill a kid? They were talking about hunting. Except for the occasional "justice" killing it's not like Joff is going off and hunting children.

Archived