[BOOK SPOILERS] Spot the book deviations

teemo

The books have many characters, but due to budget and the reality of casting, they can't chase every little plot point and thread, can't have everyone on screen, they have to balance the screen time of the favorite characters. They are getting the overall large story arc in, which is what you can expect.

There is no perfect way to adapt a book to a movie or TV medium where you make it page for page, it doesn't work out. I thought there were some things that could have gone better in season 2 (Dany's Arc, Jon's Arc) but overall this is an awesome TV show.

I cant believe how mean the show has turned Marge! When she said she wanted to kill a kid in front of Joff i was like, whaaaaaat. She is like a female Joff, watch out six kingdoms, yeesh.

She's playing him.

I know that we saw that Ghost is with Sam in the first episode and not this one, but I am still completely peeved about that. Although maybe they're doing that to make it easier for when Jon has to climb the wall and they don't have to spend a whole scene of Jon making Ghost go away... Logical for show plot but still takes quite a bit away from show!Jon's character develoment.

That was Podrick Payne

Edit: Wait, did they recast him?

Re-Edit: Just kidding, that's definitely the same Podrick from season 2

Oh sorry my bad I forgot to mention a key part of my question, who is the kingsguard with meryn trent outside Tyrions room when bron arrieves? he has a name not from the books I beleive??

Oh sorry my bad I forgot to mention a key part of my question, who is the kingsguard with meryn trent outside Tyrions room when bron arrieves? he has a name not from the books I beleive??

Maybe it's Kettleblack? He says something like Ser Whosit from Wherever the fuck

I cant believe how mean the show has turned Marge! When she said she wanted to kill a kid in front of Joff i was like, whaaaaaat. She is like a female Joff, watch out six kingdoms, yeesh.

No she didn't, she said "do you want to see me kill something" not someONE.

I am really confused about the whole Bran and Rickon being dead thing.....where they not presumed dead by all or is this just another deviation from the books?

I didnt like the Catelyn scene much either.....great piece of melodrama for those virgins of the book ...but for the rest of us seems a bit cheap and silly.... one thing about Catelyn was her steadfast constant dislike for Jon Snow which by all accounts was unwavering.....so in this scene she at once hates him to death and then doesnt....i dont think it was needed...,,,,

Also do not like the emphasis on Shae in the series..... i know she will turn out to be the corrupt hoe and in a way they are trying to give her motivations for turning on Tyrion.....but why cant they accept she is just another tragic anecdote for Tyrion and that power and money corrupt....which is how I take it in the books. I like the ambiguity of her in the book, the fact she may have loved him but she still turned on him like most do!

No he say that to meryn Trant as an insult, the guy before that was a randomer.

I'd have to go back and watch again, but he deliberately switches around Trant's name (Teryn Mant) and then calls the other guy a nobody. Trant even corrects him before he names the other guy. The insult to Trant was the switching of his name, the insult to the unknown other was that he was just that - unknown. Hence why I think it could be Kettleblack.

I am really confused about the whole Bran and Rickon being dead thing.....where they not presumed dead by all or is this just another deviation from the books?

I didnt like the Catelyn scene much either.....great piece of melodrama for those virgins of the book ...but for the rest of us seems a bit cheap and silly.... one thing about Catelyn was her steadfast constant dislike for Jon Snow which by all accounts was unwavering.....so in this scene she at once hates him to death and then doesnt....i dont think it was needed...,,,,

Also do not like the emphasis on Shae in the series..... i know she will turn out to be the corrupt hoe and in a way they are trying to give her motivations for turning on Tyrion.....but why cant they accept she is just another tragic anecdote for Tyrion and that power and money corrupt....which is how I take it in the books. I like the ambiguity of her in the book, the fact she may have loved him but she still turned on him like most do!

Please the way this show is heading Shae probably won't even betray Tyrion. She'll be murdered or something and Tyrion will want revenge and just kill Lord Tywin out of spite.

The show just seems to love effing up the books at this point.

I'd just like to make a general point here. Fandom in general likes to claim true fanaticism by declaring the original work the "gospel". In this case, the ASOIAF texts are taken by lots of folks here as the gospel truth. Well, I hate to say this, but that is overly dogmatic.

First, the show is meant to be an interpretation, not a 100% literal translation from book to screen. Otherwise, the show would take hundreds of episodes longer, and we'd have entire episodes that just show really boring stuff for the screen - all the backstory stuff that GRRM uses in his world-building. That's just not practical given media and budget constraints.

Second, and more relevant to the discussion here, is that GRRM himself has given approval for the writers (D+D) to do what they see fit to make the story work for TV. Don't forget that GRRM has even stated that should the books catch up to him and/or he is somehow unable to complete the books, like it or not, the show will finish the story. He has explicitly stated he does not want any other writers finishing the book(s) for him. I don't like that scenario any more than the next fanboy, but it's GRRM's perogative to do that. What that means is that it's not really intellectually honest to claim the books somehow supersede any interpretation of the story and/or characters presented by the show. Heck, we may be left with the show as our only "version" of the final events of the story, like it or not.

Not really, she prayed for him to die, then prayed for him to live, then treated him like shit anyway, fits her perfectily

But, remember, we're talking about deviations from the book, and the Cat scene is definitely a deviation. Also the whole Talisa thing, which I hate. And I hated both of them. (Did I mention that I hated the Cat and Talisa scene???)

I did really like the Season 2 deviation where Arya was Tywin's cup bearer. I loved their exchanges and thought they underlined just what a clever girl Arya is.

The Sansa/Sandor scene the night of the BoBB - so disappointed at the parts they left out of that.

The scene last week with Margaery and Joff and the crossbow - loved how she played him.

Hate the Shae/Ros scenes, and the Shae/Tyrion scene from this past week.

Hate the 'watering down' that's been done with the whole North of the Wall scenes, especially with Sam (and Jon, too, I think).

Quick question though. Did Margaery really say that she would "kill a child" as I'm reading everywhere here?

I didn't hear that part. I heard her tell him "would you like to see me kill something?" and he said "yes".

You are correct. No child killing was mentioned/suggested.

I understand the need to cut out some of the book characters to streamline the tv show, but it still irritates me that LF contacted Sansa himself, that would allow the possibility of being seen and connected to her, I think he is too devious and sneaky to meet her in public and in front of two witnesses.

The Cat/Talisa scene. Just awful and pointless.

The Shae/Tyrion scene- total set up for Shae to get really jealous and betray Tyrion.

I thought Jojen was going to mention the TOJ when Howland Reed's name came up fighting with Ned in Robert's rebellion.

Who is Howland Reed? Is the TOJ where Jon was conceived? Can someone remind me of this back story from the books? What book do we get the details in, AFFC? (Maybe that's why I don't remember it--the 4th book is the lowpoint of the series for me.)

Loras should be wearing a white cloak at this point, and we didn't see the Queen of Thorns' giant twin bodyguards.

Oh yea! I remember them. Plus they were supposed to be hawt... (in the books)

I'm said that they seem to be eliminating the character of Ser Dontos (The Fool/Court Jester). I loved his arc in the books.

Does everybody think the Purple Wedding going to happen in Season 4?

Archived