[BOOK SPOILERS] Spot the book deviations

teemo

LOL! I wouldn't be surprised if we hear this somewhere down the line.

Shitmouth is very important thank you very much. His soiling of the Westerosi tongue is a potent metaphor for the high lord's soiling of Westeros itself, and I question your knowledge of the books if you didn't pick up on this.

So far Season 3 seems better than Season 2.

The Marge and QoT are very good and the Sansa scene with them was excellent and well adapted. They are setting up Shae's betrayal and making it very understandable. Could we possibly see Tyrion accepting the marriage as a darkening of his character? It would be good if the whitewashing stopped this season.

The Brienne and Jaime scenes were very well done. Cutting out the Brave companions though sad, makes sense due to the number of characters they have to introduce.

The Tyrion and Tywin scene was great and really well done, but the Cersei /Tyrion scene and the Bronn scene were rather redundant.

Dany's storyline seems to be back on track. Thank the Gods.

The damage to Robb and Cat's characters and the introduction of the awful Talisa storyline seem irrevocable. As my other half who hasn't read the books put it "he's a bit of a nothing character" and Cat's bit about Jon just made him think she was utterly horrible. Sadly I am really looking forward to the RW to see that storyline end. It is a shame as the actors are very good.

The BWB and Arya's story seem to be much better portrayed. The brotherhood are done quite well, even if they have mixed Thoros and Tom O'Sevens. Also they may finally introduce the character of Sandor Clegane who has had his storyline gutted until now. So this part seems to be well done.

Shitmouth is very important thank you very much. His soiling of the Westerosi tongue is a potent metaphor for the high lord's soiling of Westeros itself, and I question your knowledge of the books if you didn't pick up on this.

Haha...I confess I don't even remember this character.

Haha...I confess I don't even remember this character.

Essentially he's a soldier at Harrenhal who swears a lot. Not really important, but I won't deny I think he'd be pretty funny on the show.

The damage to Robb and Cat's characters and the introduction of the awful Talisa storyline seem irrevocable. As my other half who hasn't read the books put it "he's a bit of a nothing character"

Robb was sort of a non-entity in the books too though.

Robb was sort of a non-entity in the books too though.

Very true and I think the show is struggling with what to do with his character. They managed really well in Season 1, but season floundered with the mix up of events and made him seem less like the young man struggling to cope with a massive responsibility as he was in the books and more fractured as a character.

They never did go back to explain that Jaime was going to be killed by Karstark which would have led to the deaths of Sansa in Cat's mind, hence her releasing him. It's sort of a forgotten plot point.

While I understand why the show felt the need to make Robb more of a traditional heroic figure, I feel that had he been portrayed as he was in the books, a boy trying to be king, his mistakes can be justified to a greater extent. There are times where I feel show Robb is closer to book Jon and show Jon is closer to book Robb.

While I understand why the show felt the need to make Robb more of a traditional heroic figure, I feel that had he been portrayed as he was in the books, a boy trying to be king, his mistakes can be justified to a greater extent. There are times where I feel show Robb is closer to book Jon and show Jon is closer to book Robb.

Well the "I don't want to marry the Frey girl" line was pretty boyish lol. I suppose it's a bit of a result of being aged up.

There was also that exchange between Robb and Jaime when Jaime calls him boy, and Robb goes with the whole "You insult yourself, Kingslayer" so they are trying to reinforce that idea of him being a boy King even though he doesn't really look it.

OTOH, in some ways it works better in the show in that they have made Robb out to be the iconic fantasy hero more than in the books. That way, his demise in the RW will be all the more shocking.

OTOH, in some ways it works better in the show in that they have made Robb out to be the iconic fantasy hero more than in the books. That way, his demise in the RW will be all the more shocking.

I think they should have marketed season 3 with Robb as the star character, and made the structure of the show such that Robb seems to be the most important.

For some that could have been a give away that he was going to die (like Ned in season one), but that's fine. People have pretty much picked up on it anyway, and the show practically came out and said he was going to die in the last episode.

I think they should have marketed season 3 with Robb as the star character, and made the structure of the show such that Robb seems to be the most important.

For some that could have been a give away that he was going to die (like Ned in season one), but that's fine. People have pretty much picked up on it anyway, and the show practically came out and said he was going to die in the last episode.

I think you're right. Robb seems much more doomed on the series than he does in the book, because he is so much more of a side character. They have played down the importance of Riverrun and even the unsullied on TWOP seem to treat his demise as a bit of a fore gone conclusion.

Sadly the RW will have less impact because they don't have very many memorable characters on the Northern side such as the Great Jon. However this maybe due to time and budget constraints. They could have had a couple of characters like the Great Jon around Robb and put some of the character development they have put into Bronn, into them and it would have helped.

I like how we got to spend more time with Margaery than in the books. Her manipulation of Joff was fantastic in this episode. I always seemed to 'nothing' her where as now she is one of my favorite characters.

Sadly I felt the bits added in for Robb and Cat were a bit of a let down again. It just seems to be filler dialogue before the Red Wedding. I hate what's coming but I guess it'll give them something to do.

Where is Dalla and Val in this series? Are they going to skip the fact that Mance has a pregnant wife who was about to give birth? That has implications further down the road for Jon Snow when he is LC of Night's Guard. Baby switching and what not. Since we have been told the producers know the end game story..it this hinting to us that Mance and his heir (baby Mance), Val really have no relavance to the bigger story?

Yikes! I hope not!

Theon got a field day compared to the books.

Hopefully this is tjust the beginning.

I hope so, too! Oh, I hate that Theon!

I think you're right. Robb seems much more doomed on the series than he does in the book, because he is so much more of a side character. They have played down the importance of Riverrun and even the unsullied on TWOP seem to treat his demise as a bit of a fore gone conclusion.

Sadly the RW will have less impact because they don't have very many memorable characters on the Northern side such as the Great Jon. However this maybe due to time and budget constraints. They could have had a couple of characters like the Great Jon around Robb and put some of the character development they have put into Bronn, into them and it would have helped.

You mean Robb's demise or the dying slave's demise? Just a little confused with your pronouns there.

The Unsullied are psychic, it's incredible

I think if the books didn't have that scene in the House of the Undying, with the wolfs head, i would never have guessed that Robb was going to die in the books. Apart from that, you still feel in the books that Robb will return to the North. The series makes it too obvious that he is going to die. At least the way in which it happens will be shocking though.

Still keeping hope that Tom o' Sevens will be introduced in the future, along with Lem

I suspect that he will show up in season 4/5. When Jaime goes to Riverrun there is a singer in one of the Frey tents and its hinted that it is Tom or at least that is what I concluded. I can see the show using him in this angle as the BWB story becomes more developed

Archived