[NO SPOILERS] Through 2 episodes: Favorite new character

This is a tough choice because all the characters introduced in E2 were well done and at least met my expectations. If I had to pick just one, I'd have to say that Thoros stole the show last night. I watched both encores and enjoyed his performance more each time through. Paul Kaye exudes remarkable charisma and makes the character instantly likeable. I think he's more like early book Thoros (Robert's drinking buddy) than the later version, but this should be fine in the context of the series.

I'd also be remiss in not mentioning Diana Rigg as the QoT, who was spot-on perfect in my opinion. Took one of my favorite scenes in all the books and nailed every aspect of it.

Through two episodes the only character I'm a little disappointed in is Mance, and then only a little. I think Hinds will be fine as he grows into the role, but for right now he's just "meh." Interestingly, my father who is a huge fan of all things north of the Wall in the books, loves Hinds's portrayal as Mance and isn't disappointed with him in the least - go figure.

They just need to find a good non-expository way to make Mance seem larger than life as he is in the books. At the moment, he's been a bit of a talker, just as Stannis was earlier last season before Blackwater.

Thoros stands out so far on the show. He's not a character that stands out in the books to me, but he's was great in this episode.

I was a bit disappointed with Lady Olenna b/c I really like her introduction in the book. I think they downplayed her a bit or something. I don't know something was just a bit off. Maybe it was that weird contraption on her head.

I'm just completely :drool: over the actor playing Tormund, which basically means I'm so distracted I don't know if he's doing a good job at the acting or not.

I am incredibly surprised to say it, but my favourite new character is Jojen Reed. His introduction through Bran's dream was a stroke of genius. I am really looking forward to him fleshing out the world in the future.

Thoros and QoT were the best for me.

I don't dislike anyone yet, I think they all have real potential.

I see a lot of people are down on Mance. Hinds is a great actor, but I would agree there is something not coming through yet. I can't quite put my finger on it and it might be the writing. He's coming across as just another distrustful angry wildling. I imagined him to have a cooled presence and more laid back demeanor. I don't remember His badass side being so in your face.

Olenna Tyrell, hands down. possibly because dad and i watched the episode together and it reminded us of my grandma, who we've dearly missed the last two years since she passed. she sounds just like her! 'once the cow's been milked there's no point trying to squirt the cream back up the udders!' :rofl:

also, as she described Luthor Tyrell hawking, paying more attention to the bird while his horse rode off a cliff, my dad (king of bad jokes) nodded sagely and said with a smirk, 'he was tweeting!'

Olenna, clearly. It's funny that she should without much effort outshine such a prominent character + actor as Mance/Hinds.

Not really. Diana Rigg is a legend for a reason.

More on point: this thread says no spoilers in the title for a reason. If you can't discuss an episode without introducing spoilers, you're in the wrong place. Any further spoilers will win the poster a few days off.

Not really. Diana Rigg is a legend for a reason.

More on point: this thread says no spoilers in the title for a reason. If you can't discuss an episode without introducing spoilers, you're in the wrong place. Any further spoilers will win the poster a few days off.

Sorry. Didn't even think of it as a spoiler

Loved Thoros (despite the mix, the result so far is awesome) and Anguy, I mean his scene with Hot Pie was great!

Olenna is also one of my favorites. I don't mind that the writer toned her down a bit, she was still sharp enought for me.

Really liked Jojen scenes so far, just hope that he explains more in the future about him being a seer too.

Agreed. Anguy and Thoros are dudes! I love how ordinary, yet extraordinary they are, both incredible soldiers obviously, and outlaws. It is refreshing to finally meet the Brotherhood, the supposed good guys.

I don't like any of them yet. I was never a Diana Rigg fan, and though her performance was certainly competent, it did nothing for me.

I'm still not convinced by Hinds as Mance.

I'm ambivalent towards Thoros.

The rest of the new characters I don't feel I've seen enough of to judge.

I am excited to see what the actor playing..

Ramsay

.. can do. I hope he turns out to be a good fit for the character.

Archived