[NO SPOILERS] Through 2 episodes: Favorite new character

Queen of Thornes. She is perfect in the show, I don't know why everyone says she isn't this enough or that enough. She was quippy, witty, and sharp, imho. And funny! And she LOOKS just how I pictured.

The Reeds. So different from the books. I hated them in the books, but love them in the show.

And of course, the reintrodiction of Badass Barristan.

Orell and his eagle was pretty cool too. Most exciting thing to happen beyond the wall since the last scene in s2.

Right now, I am in a two-way tie between Lady Olenna and Thoros. I thought that Diana Rigg was just perfect as the Queen of Thorns, and I for one am glad that she didn't resort to a scenery-chewing delivery of this great dialogue. Her delivery to me was neither too understated nor too ham-fest, but just right on the money.

Paul Kaye's performance was a really pleasant surprise to me, as I was not familiar with his previous body of work. This Thoros is not book Thoros, but since it appears we won't be having a Tom O'Sevens, I was delighted that he managed to skillfully incorporate most of the very best qualities of each of these characters into his performance. He projected a whole ton of charisma into this role, and I am very much looking forward to his appearance in future episodes.

Honorable mention to Thomas Brodie-Sangster as Jojen Reed. I didn't really care that much for book Jojen (honestly, I found him more than a tad annoying by his last book appearances), but I was mesmerized by show Jojen, and this is in no small part attributable to Mr. Sangster's performance. I am also looking forward to his role expanding in the show.

For me the best so far is Thoros. I really like what they have done with him and can't wait to see him develop.

At the moment second is Olenna - Rigg nailed it and I fully expect her to be my favourite for the season when the conniving kicks in.

Jojen and Meera - I loved Jojen at the start in the books but he faded for me later. I am really liking the mystical focus they have given him here. Meera - its too early to say.

Mance - yeah something is lacking. I fully expected him to be more reserved than guys like the Giantsbane and Thenn, but something is a bit off from what I had envisaged. I'm not certain its Hinds - it feels to me to be the way he has been scripted/directed. Where is "The Dornishman's Wife?"

Thoros. Bar none.

Jojen Reed is my second favorite.

I must be the only one that was not impressed by the Queen of Thorns. I expected her to be, I don't know ... more thorny? ;)

She was laying on the sweetness in order to get what she wanted out of Sansa.

I think the thorns will well and truly be out when she runs up against Tywin and Cersei. Tywin v Olenna will be a battle of the superpowers I reckon.

My favorite is QoT Lady Olenna - Dame Diana Rigg nails it, as expected. Delightful scene with a smart, wickedly forthright master politician. I want her in my corner. Can't wait to see her spar with Tywin. Should be epic.

Reeds - Excellent casting, and Jojen's introduction was riveting. Bran's arc needs these fascinating mysterious characters. Can't wait to learn more.

Thoros of Myr, Anguy, Tormund Giantsbane - Enjoyably entertaining.

Orell - Special mention for his cool warg ability.

Great casting choices this season!

Thoros and Anguy were great. Witty show-Thoros is sooo much better than preachy, morose book-Thoros. Show-Thoros is the kind of guy I can imagine playing drinking games with Robert Baratheon.

Mance was okay - I never actually imagined him as a very youthful guy in the books, his character didn't stand out to me to be honest. Ciaran Hinds fits the role of a smart, cunning yet slightly regal man. Physically he's a little heavier than I imagined Mance Rayder but he's good.

Olenna was actually a disappointment to me. In the show she doesn't come across as a "nice" lady at all. And the acting wasn't superb either IMO - I felt she was just reading her lines off a teleprompter. Her behavior towards Sansa also didn't come across very nicely - basically that whole scene was rushed - "hello sansa. have some cake. now please describe Joffrey in one sentence. Oh he's a monster? Thank you very much. See you!" From the book I had a totally different scene in mind, and a different QoT. She put on an act of being a nice, old lady at first and THEN she was revealed to be the mastermind of house Tyrell. The TV version has nothing of a nice old lady, she's more like an ASOIAF version of Margaret Thatcher. Thin-lipped, arrogant, brash.

Speaking as a longtime fan of Ciaran Hinds I have to say regrettably that I don't think he's quite right for the role of Mance, and that's speaking as someone who hasn't read that far in the books yet, also. Don't know why I feel that way, since there's so little to go by so far - maybe his age? - But I love the Jojen character, obviously :cool4:

Speaking as a longtime fan of Ciaran Hinds I have to say regrettably that I don't think he's quite right for the role of Mance, and that's speaking as someone who hasn't read that far in the books yet...

Yes, I agree. He has the bearing of a leader who can command respect but perhaps lacks a spark of Mance's charisma. Still, I do like Ciaran in the part and look forward to seeing more.

Yes, I agree. He has the bearing of a leader who can command respect but perhaps lacks a spark of Mance's charisma. Still, I do like Ciaran in the part and look forward to seeing more.

I found him about 1000x more engaging in the first episode compared to the second episode.

This season, I've been relatively pleased with the introductions of the new characters, even if they didn't quite fall into line with their book counterparts.

I thought Jojen's introduction in Bran's dream was stunning. In fact, I might even go as far as to say that small scene is my favourite of Season three, so far.

I never had a shadow of doubt over the casting of Diana Rigg as Lady Olenna. I think this ep. proves I wasn't completely deluded.

Tormund, I was quite happy with, I'm quietly hoping, as the season goes on, I'll gain the strength of feeling I had for him in the books.

I was having a bit of trouble picturing Mackenzie Crook as Orell, when his role was first announced, but his warging scene, short as it was, I found quite satisfying.

My single biggest disappointment, and I really hate to say it, is Mance. When I heard Ciaran Hinds had been cast, I couldn't have been more surprised. He is capable of delivering charismatic performances, I have no doubt, but as Mance?.... no. I'm just not feeling it, and for that matter, I'm not seeing it either.

In the case of Thoros of Myr, whilst he is, in no shape or form, how I imagined him to be, I approve. I think he's a good example of how a character can be moulded to serve viewers needs, if not their expectations. I truly wish I could say the same for Mance.

Sun and Moon, you captured my thoughts exactly. I'll have to name Meera and Jojen as my favorites, though, with Thoros of Myr a very close second.

Archived