(Book Spoilers) - Going too easy on Theon?

How can they possibly show Flaying... I am repulsed by the very thought. It's got to be one of the worst possible things to happen to someone in real life.

They didn't cut off Tyrion's nose... do we know for sure they will show Theon being flayed? I'm not overly squeamish -- but I'll probably close my eyes! haha

How can they possibly show Flaying... I am repulsed by the very thought. It's got to be one of the worst possible things to happen to someone in real life.

They didn't cut off Tyrion's nose... do we know for sure they will show Theon being flayed? I'm not overly squeamish -- but I'll probably close my eyes! haha

They can do it without showing it in detail ... I mean, so far, the torture was pretty cringe-worthy, but they didn't really SHOW much gore, tbh. It can be suspenseful and very clear what's going on w/o SHOWING it up close.

I don't think they're going to easy. As has already been said, TV Theon is a lot more sympathetic than Book Theon. People already feel bad for him even in light of what he did. So the torture does not need to go as far, to make us feel sorry.

Plus, I very much doubt they're done. I'm pretty certain 'Boy' is Ramsay, and he'll give Theon hope only to crush him even further. I can think of little worse than escaping torture, thinking you're free, then being dragged back into it and tortured again and again.

What made the initial Reek chapters so gruesome wasn't only the way he was tortured (did we even "see" it?), but the way his POV was written. They can always try to match it by introducing even more horrible torture methods, but it probably won't have the same effect. However, if Alfie brings out his excellent performance from season 2 they have a chance to create some very memorable scenes.

I thought last night's scenes were handled perfectly as far as the story is concerned. Exactly what I expected to see.

It's likely that they're saving the worst for Theon until Ramsay himself gets ahold of him. Right now Ramsay is just playing his sick twisted game for his own amusement, like a cat toying with its prey. The worst is yet to come for Theon and I've got a feeling it'll begin next week with the "hunt."

As others have said, I don't know why some are jumping to the conclusion this is the only torture Theon's gonna receive from his stay at the Dreadfort. They're just getting started. Once Ramsay has had his little fun with Theon, I expect it'll get more gruesome as he himself starts to do it.

As to flaying, they've definitely played up the Boltons' affinity for flaying too much, both through Roose's comments last season and the mentions of the flayed man sigil, to not have him get flayed, probably after he's recaptured. I don't think we'll see flaying on-screen, but will probably get a gruesome view of his fingers once they're flayed.

They're just getting started with him and IIRC the worst torture was done after Theon failed escape. There's an entire season to go and Ramsay is just getting started with him.

I believe the guy who said he'll help Theon escape is actually Ramsay, it would fit his character to play with Theon by giving him false hopes and crushing them.

At first I expressed relief that Theon's torture hasn't been too bad so far. (yeah, yeah, easy for me to say, but you know what I mean)

Then I thought about the consequences for the narrative that would result from not "taking it over the top"

We need it to be over the top to establish Ramsay as the worst of the worst, the sickest of the sickos.

We also need it over the top to make the Theon ADWD thread compelling. We need to understand why he is so broken, and if he hasn't been badly broken, you lose the neat effect of finding yourself rooting for Theon against your better sense.

If he only gets a broken foot and a knife under the fingernail, ever cheering Theon again just doesn't work, or explain why he would become an agent of the Boltons working against the Iron Born at M.C.

It's the second episode of the season and from what i've glimpsed in the trailers, i would suggest to give it some time ;)

I guess it will get alot worse than this, he will be there for a while now ;)

Any partilcular reason the guards in the background when Theon is being tortured are dressed as/are ironborn soldiers, or just another ploy for Ramsey to mess with Theon's head?

I assumed it was to trick Theon and make the while story more belivible.

Any partilcular reason the guards in the background when Theon is being tortured are dressed as/are ironborn soldiers, or just another ploy for Ramsey to mess with Theon's head?

Maybe it's a trick? Maybe they are wearing the clothes that his men were wearing (stolen after killing them? No way were they actually allowed to go home, right?) Or maybe that's just a style that some bannermen wear that isn't necessarily specific to the Ironborn? Not a clue.

I also don't get where people are getting the idea that Theon's torture is over. IIRC, Ramsay has let Theon escape from time to time just to give him false hopes and recapture him again. I think the show will go this far as well and it's way too early for him to escape, since he can't fall into the hands of Stannis, Balon is still alive and we haven't had the kingsmoot yet. So no worries, you'll get your torture scenes.

Well, as said, it's just starting. And he's barely even shown in books 3 (and 4?), just mentioned to being tortured, they can't do it all in the first episode or Alfie wouldn't have more than a few scenes.

Now, poor Alfie, he' was cast just to show up, get naked and scream aloud. I hope he's paid the same.

Well, as said, it's just starting. And he's barely even shown in books 3 (and 4?), just mentioned to being tortured, they can't do it all in the first episode or Alfie wouldn't have more than a few scenes.

Now, poor Alfie, he' was cast just to show up, get naked and scream aloud. I hope he's paid the same.

lol!! tbh I felt like his performance was a lot more subtle and amazing than just screaming/writhing in pain ... you could just feel the wheels turning as he is desperately trying to figure out what he should say to make it stop. I loved how he was cowering in terror when boy/Ramsay walked up and took the hood off. His desperate pleas "don't leave me" were heartbreaking. I'm seriously in love with Alfie's portrayal of Theon.

Archived