[Book Spoilers] Theon!

I HAVE SO MANY FEELINGS ABOUT THIS.

I'm so glad that he's in the show and Alfie Allen is amazing, but that was brutal!! I loved so many things about his two short scenes, though ...

I love that they reminded viewers that he was a prisoner at Winterfell. I love how they already seem to be setting up an unhealthy Stockholm Syndrome relationship between Theon and (unnamed character who is obviously Ramsay) - "Please don't leave me!" I'm really impressed.

I understand that this is confusing to non-book-readers, though ... my husband thinks that Theon is being kept by his father / Ironborn since Ramsay mentioned his sister.

Ahhh so good! I loved so many things in this episode!!!

I'm actually just glad they're showing his torture at all. Just hearing about it via inner thought flashbacks wasn't nearly as satisfying.

Yeah, I don't like Theon.

GTFO. haha jk ;)

Theon is definitely my second favorite ... or heck, tied for my favorite (w/ Dany!) I'm so happy with what I've seen so far ... I don't even care that it might be confusing to non-readers :P

I'm really aggravated at a lot of reviewers / ppl who think he is getting what he deserves. No. Just no.

Theon is my favorite character in the books and I hope they will show the truth in the show, that Theon's only crime is taking over Winterfell. and that the body's wasn't his work. Because this episode it looks like he hated the Starks, but that wasn't the case in the books. He just wanted to prove himself to his father.

Theon is my favorite character in the books and I hope they will show the truth in the show, that Theon's only crime is taking over Winterfell. and that the body's wasn't his work. Because this episode it looks like he hated the Starks, but that wasn't the case in the books. He just wanted to prove himself to his father.

I didn't get the sense from this episode that he actually hated the Starks ... it definitely seemed more that he was just rambling and saying anything to try to get the torture to stop. I think it's pretty clear in the show that while he isn't super close to the Starks, he was pretty close to Robb. I just like that they harp on the fact that he was a prisoner/hostage ... I have seen a couple reviews recently where ppl say "ward" and I'm like hmmmmmnooo. I mean, I hate to be crazy picky person, but that's actually a huge defining part of his character.

Well, I liked the Theon scenes so far. I can, however, see how people who never read the book can think that he's only getting what he deserves. Specially since the show very likelly won't go to the point of torture they went on the books (putting him right into wooby territory), they must be really careful to make us root for Theon again after what he did to the Starks.

Even in the books, I thought he deserved everything he got before he became basically broken (losing Winterfell, being capture, etc). Even if Theon was executed, I'd probably go like "you looked for it, pal". But the torture obviously was too much for any human being. If they don't get really bold real fast and show the whole mutilation thing, it could look like "the villain Theon" "got what he deserved".

Well, I liked the Theon scenes so far. I can, however, see how people who never read the book can think that he's only getting what he deserves. Specially since the show very likelly won't go to the point of torture they went on the books (putting him right into wooby territory), they must be really careful to make us root for Theon again after what he did to the Starks.

Even in the books, I thought he deserved everything he got before he became basically broken (losing Winterfell, being capture, etc). Even if Theon was executed, I'd probably go like "you looked for it, pal". But the torture obviously was too much for any human being. If they don't get really bold real fast and show the whole mutilation thing, it could look like "the villain Theon" "got what he deserved".

Boo, I've never thought of Theon as a villain, tbh. He's one of the most complex characters on the show. People just have their "Stark blinders" on, I think.

Theon has long been my favorite character. Sucks that most people I talk to hate him and think he gets what he deserves.

People who think that, I've found, are the ones who haven't taken the time to delve into his mind. Either because they don't want to or they don't know how. Theon is fantastic. No one deserves what Theon gets in the books. No one. (Sans Mad King and Ramsay, maybe. )

People who think that, I've found, are the ones who haven't taken the time to delve into his mind. Either because they don't want to or they don't know how. Theon is fantastic. No one deserves what Theon gets in the books. No one. (Sans Mad King and Ramsay, maybe. )

Theon IS fantastic!!

I hope they do go the full lengths of torture like in the book, not because I hate Theon (one of my favorites in season 2, and Alfie is an amazing actor), but because him getting all those parts removed will be so gruesome that people will feel sorry for him in the end. But doesn't Theon get his teeth torn out? I can't recall, but I'm sure he did, and if he did, how would they portray that in the show, having Alfie around with no teeth?

I hope they do go the full lengths of torture like in the book, not because I hate Theon (one of my favorites in season 2, and Alfie is an amazing actor), but because him getting all those parts removed will be so gruesome that people will feel sorry for him in the end. But doesn't Theon get his teeth torn out? I can't recall, but I'm sure he did, and if he did, how would they portray that in the show, having Alfie around with no teeth?

Guessing it will be gruesome, but also toned down for the sake of not having to be crazy w/ CGI ... kind of like Tyrion's face/nose. The physical pain is only a part of the torture for Theon, after all ... if they are heavy on psychological torture as well as physical, I'm ok w/ less deformations in the end.

I love the Reek chapters in the 5th book; can't believe we're really going to see (well, not everything) how Theon turned into Reek. Alfie Allen is great for portraying Theon and I'm looking forward for him portraying Reek.

I agree completely. I mentioned something along these lines a while back.

The show fans are really out for blood when it comes to Theon, the show needs to do a good enough job to get people feeling sorry for him and emotionally invested, otherwise, his later arc won't be that great.

Archived