[Book Spoilers] Theon!

The show fans are really out for blood when it comes to Theon, the show needs to do a good enough job to get people feeling sorry for him and emotionally invested, otherwise, his later arc won't be that great.

I think -- I hope anyway (no surprise, given the quote in my signature) -- that they're setting the viewers up to be trolled. Our first glimpse of Theon's torture in last night's episode is, as far as torture goes, rather tame. Still well within the bounds of "he had it coming" for the bloodthirsty viewer who wants to see Theon get his. Starting out at the bottom and gradually escalating, they can "trick" the audience into reveling in Theon's pain and even cheering for his torturers, who appear to be taking Stark vengeance out of Theon's hide.

And then they pull the rug out from under the audience, who now has to come to terms with who and what they were actually rooting for all this time.

It would fit in with GRRM's own exploration of the Revenge theme/idea in the books. And even with that scene last night where Cat remembers praying for Jon Snow to die until he got the pox and actually was in danger of really dying at which point she was ashamed of herself and prayed in the other direction.

Be Careful What You Wish For, etc.

I know this is a minor thing but...I cannot get over "Ramsay" not having long hair. For me, it takes away from his demented factor. Again, just a minor issue.

I have to honestly say, though, that I love how the writers are setting this character up. It all seems to make the viewers believe Ramsay is this previously sympathetic and caring character and then...WAM that all goes out the window.

I know this is a minor thing but...I cannot get over "Ramsay" not having long hair. For me, it takes away from his demented factor. Again, just a minor issue.

I have to honestly say, though, that I love how the writers are setting this character up. It all seems to make the viewers believe Ramsay is this previously sympathetic and caring character and then...WAM that all goes out the window.

I kind of like this Ramsay's look because he looks so innocent and unsuspecting.It'll be more scary when he shows his true self.

GTFO. haha jk ;)

Theon is definitely my second favorite ... or heck, tied for my favorite (w/ Dany!) I'm so happy with what I've seen so far ... I don't even care that it might be confusing to non-readers :P

I'm really aggravated at a lot of reviewers / ppl who think he is getting what he deserves. No. Just no.

Not a fan of Theon, but I loved the scenes in the show.

Getting what he deserves would be a quick, painful death. No one deserves what gets done to him

I'm glad we saw him but I kind of wish we didn't know who was being tortured for a little bit. But, then again, maybe it would just be too confusing for viewers. Or maybe they'd figure out it was Theon right away, and there'd be no reveal.

Alfie was brill as always.

I didn't get the sense from this episode that he actually hated the Starks ... it definitely seemed more that he was just rambling and saying anything to try to get the torture to stop. I think it's pretty clear in the show that while he isn't super close to the Starks, he was pretty close to Robb. I just like that they harp on the fact that he was a prisoner/hostage ... I have seen a couple reviews recently where ppl say "ward" and I'm like hmmmmmnooo. I mean, I hate to be crazy picky person, but that's actually a huge defining part of his character.

I know, but that's because we know where it's heading, some don't.

I thought the Theon scenes were ridiculous fan appeasement and the whole thing with making Ramsay pretend to free him is just pointless filler. I'd rather that time have been used to extend Arya's storyline instead.

I like the show's portrayal of Theon a million times better than the show's portrayal of Arya, so I'm ok with this, personally.

I'm really aggravated at a lot of reviewers / ppl who think he is getting what he deserves. No. Just no.

But, that's the beauty of it! If you didn't know what's going to happen to Theon you might feel the same way. George does a wonderful job of subverting our lust for retribution, and I think the show looks to be doing a stellar job of translating that on-screen. One of our guests last night who is show-only was muttering stuff like "good, it's what he deserves". I can't wait to see his attitude change slowly and surely over the course of the season!

This is a different journey from the book, but it's going to end up in the same place.

My boyfriend thinks he deserves it, I accidentally let slip a little of what happens later and he still thinks Theon deserves it. No, nobody deserves that shit.

Silly little Stark lover..

Gah, I'm getting so mad at the Stark lovers!!! I mean, of course I like the Starks, but they aren't flawless/blameless/perfect - jeeeez. I'm just gonna Theon Stan all over the internet for the next 9 weeks ... if you see someone screaming about Theon online IT'S PROBABLY ME.

Gah, I'm getting so mad at the Stark lovers!!! I mean, of course I like the Starks, but they aren't flawless/blameless/perfect - jeeeez. I'm just gonna Theon Stan all over the internet for the next 9 weeks ... if you see someone screaming about Theon online IT'S PROBABLY ME.

I love the Starks too, but yes they are far from perfect. People just have to understand Theon better, I guess for the show watchers without spoilers. They just need to know he can be a very sympathetic character who has made poor decisions in the past.

My boyfriend thinks he deserves it, I accidentally let slip a little of what happens later and he still thinks Theon deserves it. No, nobody deserves that shit.

Silly little Stark lover..

There's a difference between being told "a little of what happens later" and reading Reek chapters. I bet your bf sings a different tune when all is said and done.

There's a difference between being told "a little of what happens later" and reading Reek chapters. I bet your bf sings a different tune when all is said and done.

I wish he would just read a bit of the books. Although its fun toying with him about future events.

I need to re-read ADWD, gotta get some feels for poor ol Reek.

I thought the Theon scenes were ridiculous fan appeasement and the whole thing with making Ramsay pretend to free him is just pointless filler. I'd rather that time have been used to extend Arya's storyline instead.

Why? It need to be shown for the show because of 2 things: 1. If Alfie isn't in the show for 2 seasons, he will be do other projects instead of GoT. 2. We need to know how he become this thing in DwD. his chapters has the benefit that we know through FB what happened. This need to be in the show. Else people will have, huh what? But I think it was better if they showed him not in this episode but in episode 5 or 6 for the first time this season.

And about Arya, you can't have too much arya in a season, Maissie is under age so there are rules about how long she can work a year.

I don't think so ... I felt bad for Theon after just watching seasons 1 and 2 before I read the books.

True, but not everybody things the same. some hate him.

I love the Starks too, but yes they are far from perfect. People just have to understand Theon better, I guess for the show watchers without spoilers. They just need to know he can be a very sympathetic character who has made poor decisions in the past.

My boyfriend watches the first 2 seasons before the books, (he is in DwD now) and he felled sorry for theon from the beginning. And he loved the Starks.

Archived