[Book Spoilers] Theon!

It would be a great wake up call for him. He'll realized the Starks treated him like a family, his true family treated him like he's no family, and the Boltons treated him like a lowly animal. He'll one day wished:

"I should have died with him," and die as Theon not Reek.

Theon betrayed his adopted family and murdered children. He deserved to be punished, yes, but not to be tortured gruesomely by Ramsay, who's not even in the right position to carry out a just sentence or punishment to Theon's wrongdoings.

Really :S A boy is taken away from his parents, and he should be thankful for that. Think about a second that you are Theon, you are 10 years old, you never gonna see you're parents again. And you have to be lucky to never see your parents again. And you hear that almost every day. And than one day you are going back to your parents. Which side do you choose?

And if Theon deserves punishment, than Robb deserves it even more. He killed hundred of innocent men, children. Because they are "Lannisters". But because Robb has the name Stark it is ok, and because Theon has the name Greyjoy he is a bad guy.

In what kind of sick world do we live in? :S

Really :S A boy is taken away from his parents, and he should be thankful for that. Think about a second that you are Theon, you are 10 years old, you never gonna see you're parents again. And you have to be lucky to never see your parents again. And you hear that almost every day. And than one day you are going back to your parents. Which side do you choose?

And if Theon deserves punishment, than Robb deserves it even more. He killed hundred of innocent men, children. Because they are "Lannisters". But because Robb has the name Stark it is ok, and because Theon has the name Greyjoy he is a bad guy.

I think Theon is one of the most tragic figures in the whole series.

I think Theon is one of the most tragic figures in the whole series.

Tell that to people. People don't understand what it's like to be like him I guess, not that I know but I'm trying at least.

But shows that the thing that GRRM tried to do, not making good and bad guys, but grey characters, is not understand by everybody.

I think we're going to get a considerable amount of gore with Theon this season. Going forward, I think they should be able to make him resemble the reek from the books, because you can do a lot of that stuff without cgi. Tyron's no-nose couldn't have been done without cgi, so they did the scar. With Theon, you can cut off as many fingers and toes as you want and just put gloves on him like with Davos. Fake teeth would be a simple prosthetic to do I would think, and an even simpler one would be scars on his face. Making him look like an old man, as he's described in the books, might be a little tougher, but i think it would still be relatively cheap compared to cgi.

Well, I liked the Theon scenes so far. I can, however, see how people who never read the book can think that he's only getting what he deserves. Specially since the show very likelly won't go to the point of torture they went on the books (putting him right into wooby territory), they must be really careful to make us root for Theon again after what he did to the Starks.

Even in the books, I thought he deserved everything he got before he became basically broken (losing Winterfell, being capture, etc). Even if Theon was executed, I'd probably go like "you looked for it, pal". But the torture obviously was too much for any human being. If they don't get really bold real fast and show the whole mutilation thing, it could look like "the villain Theon" "got what he deserved".

I am pretty sure they will show the mutilation and all the torture. TV loves violence.

Gah, I'm getting so mad at the Stark lovers!!! I mean, of course I like the Starks, but they aren't flawless/blameless/perfect - jeeeez. I'm just gonna Theon Stan all over the internet for the next 9 weeks ... if you see someone screaming about Theon online IT'S PROBABLY ME.

I actually agree with this. I feel Season One made everyone love the Starks if they hadn't yet read the books when, in fact, they are just like the rest of the characters. They make bad decisions, they hurt the ones they love, they can be weak, they can be strong, they can be funny, etc, etc, etc. I LOVE how the first book starts out like it's a story of the Stark family but over time you realize that no, it REALLY isn't.

I've never been a Theon fan and was glad to see him tortured last night and hope we get to see a lot more. That would include the teeth getting broke out because of his smile. He betrayed Robb, saw Winterfell drove to ruin, and yet we are supposed to feel sorry for him because he is an interesting character, not me.

Let the torture continue.

Oh dear...I hope I never anger YOU! ;)

Don't want to go off topic, but just need to clarify some things:

He was taken, yes. Did the Starks mistreated him? Yeah, blood is thicker than water, but sometimes, there are some people who stick closer than family. He can obviously choose his family over the Starks, but does he need to betray those who treated him as their own? Yeah, he can't refuse his family and he want to prove himself. Did he made the right decision? Or, did his true family supported his decision when he took Winterfell?

How did Robb and the Lannisters get into here? Or, how being a Greyjoy a bad guy? I was only saying Theon deserved a punishment, but not to be tortured in the hands of Ramsay (who by the way, not fit to execute justice of any kind). If Theon was to be punished, let someone do it who would give him a fair trial and just punishment. Would you like Ramsay to be your judge? I don't think he deserved that kind of gruesome torture, and Robb would never approve that either. Theon was more of an unfortunate victim of Ramsay than a wrongdoer who received his just punishment. I hope that's clear enough. B)

Back to the topic.

I understand that this is confusing to non-book-readers, though ... my husband thinks that Theon is being kept by his father / Ironborn since Ramsay mentioned his sister.

My partner thought the exact same thing! It took me ages to explain it, even then...

I wonder what it is about that scene? they don't even look iron-born.

And i thought the cross he was chained to was a dead give-away!

Theon betrayed his adopted family and murdered children. He deserved to be punished, yes, but not to be tortured gruesomely by Ramsay, who's not even in the right position to carry out a just sentence or punishment to Theon's wrongdoings.

SUCH a great point...Ramsay had no right doing what he did.

Well, I think they do have the guts to show gory stuff like that. Do you remember Drogo ripping off some guy's tongue back in season 1? There's also the nipple cut scene in Valar Dohaeris. The latter was basically flaying, though a milder kind of flaying. Don't worry, we will see Theon losing some skin eventually.

Yes and no...I feel what Theon endures is way too horrific to put on television. Do I hope they do? Yes. Will they? I doubt it. The tongue thing wasn't that bad to watch (for me) as it was quick and not up close (unless I'm forgetting it all). The nipple cut did, yes, make me cringe. There was also some gruesome things during the Battle of Blackwater, such as the head getting crushed in by a dropping rock as Stannis looked right at the man, or when Tyrion ran into battle cutting off a man's leg with his axe in one chop at the knee right in front of the camera. I feel that it can get gory, yes, but Theon's torture is too much for the average viewer.

And let me revisit my earlier comment that I hope they do show the torture scenes....I don't mean that I want to see every single thing done to him live and in person. I DO want to see some flaying and digit removal at the most. The teeth being removed might push it. A lot of this can be done without us actually SEEING it. The camera could pan away or change scenes at just the right moment so we don't quite see something happen but hear the results. I just think we need a good mix of seeing some torture and and hearing some, then leaving the rest to sit in your brain for you to keep thinking about so you can really begin to understand just what that poor man is going through.

I have mixed feelings on this. Even though I'm book fan I don't think the show has to do everything as is (most though), however I was surprised to see him and esp. this early. I get why they did it, waiting 2-3 seasons would be too long, but you get in a prickly situation here. If I'm correct and I might be wrong ADWD chronologically occurred way after ASOS. It makes no sense to have his torture being in it now. Plus, once you start mixing books where does it end? ASOS has SO much in it, I'd just like them to focus on it, now other stuff.

I get to see Theon the baby killer suffer. I'm happy with this. I honestly can not feel sorry for this character, he's just someone I love to hate, sort of like Tywin and a Rose.

I'm happy he's still on the show, but no I don't feel sorry for him, not after what he did to those kids

I'm pretty sure GRRM didn't do this to Theon as a punishment for what he did to the Starks. And he didn't deserve it either. But then again ASoIaF isn't about merit, good/bad...etc, it's just about life, and bad shit can happen to you with no reason whatsoever.

It's definitely wrong to say that the Starks treated him like family ... Robb was actually the only one, and then Theon's father crushed that thought by humiliating Theon. The Starks treated him well, yes, but it was far from an ideal situation ... Plus it was rubbed in his face by the ppl of Winterfell who didn't like him that he should be appreciative of his captors.

Archived