[Book Spoilers] Theon!

But back to Theon: Do you think it's fair to take a child from his parents? Do you know what psychical damage this will cost the child? We know from Cat's perspective that they never treated Theon as if he was part of the family. Try to imagine that you lived with you're family, one thing is know, Theon's mother loved him. He gets love from his mother. One day he get taken away to a strange place at a crucial time in everybody's life (puberty). From now one he doesn't get one bit of love anymore, but he sees that his captors love their children. (Jon even got Ned, Theon got nothing) every day he is reminded. You are a prisoner here, be thankful. Every day he is reminded that if his father make one mistake he is dead. the question is why he didn't try to escape earlier.

If there's one person out here that has the same kind of life, he or she is the only one to judge. At least how bad my life is or isn't. I would never would have the life that Theon had. I come from a broken home, with fights every day and even I don't want to change my life for that of Theon.

Oh, well that makes it all okay then! /end sarcasm

I'm not defending Robb or anyone else, just wondering why theon is being defended...

No not. Only thing is that it gave me the impression that you though that they weren't. Read above why I defend Theon. Just as I stated not everybody has it easy.

But Strange that GRRM stated that he thinks that Theon is very misunderstand. He defends him too a lot of times, same as Jaime en Melisandre.

Theon is a scumbag. He was a scumbag in AGOT, a royal scumbag in ACOK, and a broken, pathetic, cowed scumbag in ADWD. I feel sorry for him for what he has suffered, no one deserves that, but I certainly do not forget what he is, or what he did.

:bowdown: :agree: If there was still a "like" button...

But back to Theon: Do you think it's fair to take a child from his parents? Do you know what psychical damage this will cost the child? We know from Cat's perspective that they never treated Theon as if he was part of the family. Try to imagine that you lived with you're family, one thing is know, Theon's mother loved him. He gets love from his mother. One day he get taken away to a strange place at a crucial time in everybody's life (puberty). From now one he doesn't get one bit of love anymore, but he sees that his captors love their children. (Jon even got Ned, Theon got nothing) every day he is reminded. You are a prisoner here, be thankful. Every day he is reminded that if his father make one mistake he is dead. the question is why he didn't try to escape earlier.

If there's one person out here that has the same kind of life, he or she is the only one to judge. At least how bad my life is or isn't. I would never would have the life that Theon had. I come from a broken home, with fights every day and even I don't want to change my life for that of Theon.

No not. Only thing is that it gave me the impression that you though that they weren't. Read above why I defend Theon. Just as I stated not everybody has it easy.

But Strange that GRRM stated that he thinks that Theon is very misunderstand. He defends him too a lot of times, same as Jaime en Melisandre.

This goes in circles. Theon was only taken because his father chose his own glory over the safety of his own sons.

What you call a 'mistake' is willful and knowledgeable action by Balon that would put his son directly at risk. It's not like Theon would be killed if Balon failed a piss test on his probation. As far as I know, Balon is fine so long as he didn't rebel against Robert anymore or do anything blatant.

The same guy (Balon) whose actions put Theon in the position he is in is the same guy Theon sides with

I would also add that Theon's real fear of Ice is not that he think Ned will kill him on a whim, but that he is more afraid that his father will do something stupid

Dude, Theon is a fictional character, he doesn't have feelings...

You had a tough childhood, I had a tough childhood, WTH does that have to do with the fictional character theon killing innocent boys and getting tortured?

If Theon had "just escaped earlier" then the iron islands would be put to the sword... It would be a breach of the peace.

Would u rather Ned and co. just put them to the sword in the first place? Is having your entire family killed and house distinguished preferable to living as a ward?

If this were livejournal, it would have devolved into gifs by now. Hah.

I don't think Theon is afraid of his father doing something stupid ... who would you blame in his situation? Your father/family or your captors?

Idk. But I don't think anyone that saw Ned Stark on a daily basis would think he would kill Theon for any reason other than Balon breaking his agreement

Idk. But I don't think anyone that saw Ned Stark on a daily basis would think he would kill Theon for any reason other than Balon breaking his agreement

Oh yeah, I agree, but Theon could be nervous about being killed without blaming his father / hating his father over it ... like, he was raised by people who "reave" right? He would probably justify that in his mind, and blame the enemies of his family who took him away from his family and would actually swing the sword.

Oh yeah, I agree, but Theon could be nervous about being killed without blaming his father / hating his father over it ... like, he was raised by people who "reave" right? He would probably justify that in his mind, and blame the enemies of his family who took you away from your family and would actually swing the sword.

Oh ok. So he is just being a Greyjoy :cool4: and maybe that's the point after all. I expect too much of him

When I think of Theon, I honestly can't separate anything he's done from a terrified 10 year old child being taken from his family, understanding that he could and would be killed ... and then also think about the person he becomes after Ramsay. And my heart hurts. And everything in between is forgiven. :crying:

Theon was never the killer. Jamie did more to kill a child then Theon ever did. Giving Jamie an excuse is awful. We arent making an excuse for Theon but specifying he is NOT THE MURDERED, that he was involved in the conspiracy of child murder if his crime is to be labeled.

When I think of Theon, I honestly can't separate anything he's done from a terrified 10 year old child being taken from his family, understanding that he could and would be killed ... and then also think about the person he becomes after Ramsay. And my heart hurts. And everything in between is forgiven. :crying:

Exactly Theon's "life" was taken from him by Ned, then again by Ramsay. Death was a sweeter gift then a cursed life.

I also want to add anything Ramsay has ever done from the fall of Winterfell to the fall of Moat Cailin he needed Theon to do. Ramsay would be NOTHING if not for Theon.

Reek, Reek it rhymes with meek! Poor Theon, though Reek chapters were some of my favourites so I am excited to see the transformation!

I liked how the Bolton Flags and sigils had a definite presence in the Rob scenes and at the bridge scene, reminding you who was currently on that flaying cross thingy.

I'm not sure if someone posted about this in this forum or where I saw it but he/she had a really good point.

If the character of 'REEK' did not appear how he did in the books, then Ramsay may not ever call Theon 'Reek' because it would not be justified. Unless Ramsay tells Theon in the show that he used to have a Reek and now Theon will become his new Reek or something like that... Just curious...

I'm not sure if someone posted about this in this forum or where I saw it but he/she had a really good point.

If the character of 'REEK' did not appear how he did in the books, then Ramsay may not ever call Theon 'Reek' because it would not be justified. Unless Ramsay tells Theon in the show that he used to have a Reek and now Theon will become his new Reek or something like that... Just curious...

Personally, I'm not so much of a "book purist" that I mind if they change around the "Reek" thing ... I mean, so long as the point (i.e. Theon is a deranged, completely broken and pathetic person now), it's fine. I mean, maybe the Reek thing is too complicated for the show or maybe it would end up seeming silly or something, I dunno ... it just needs to be horrifying and evoke pity in the viewer, whatever they do. Maybe they can be more vague or use some different name or whatever.

Why would it be a problem if Ramsay calls Theon Reek? It would just be something Ramsay calls him to mock him for how pathetic he is after being tortured and broken.

Also it would be easy for Ramsay to explain that there had been another Reek who died and now he wants Theon to take his place.

I feel terribly sorry for him.

But he's kinda stupid. There's so many moments when you just wanna tell him "Nope, that's the wrong decision. How do you really see that playing out?"

Its probably coz he's a little bit spineless and then over-compensating for it.

Still a good character to follow. He wouldn't be nearly as interesting from another person's perspective.

Dude, Theon is a fictional character, he doesn't have feelings...

You had a tough childhood, I had a tough childhood, WTH does that have to do with the fictional character theon killing innocent boys and getting tortured?

If Theon had "just escaped earlier" then the iron islands would be put to the sword... It would be a breach of the peace.

Would u rather Ned and co. just put them to the sword in the first place? Is having your entire family killed and house distinguished preferable to living as a ward?

I know he is fictional character. Only thing that bugs me is that people are judging him as a character without even knowing the slightest how it feels to be in his position. A little bit of empathy, if you don't empathize with a character you can never call him wrong or right, because you don't understand them. And yes he's fictional, but if he's fictional and I don't have the right to find him a tragic person, than you don't have the say that he has it coming. We all defending or attacking him as if he was he real character.

But you would be amazed how many people in real life that we call heroes did terrible things, even kill innocent children. (I don't say that Theon is a hero, but I think that his DwD Theon I chapter he did a heroic job)

But do people hate Cat too because she killed an innocent child (Jinglebells never did something wrong, but she killed the boy)

Reek's in part just a persona for brokenwretched!Theon. It has meaning for Ramsay (he's a possessive boyfriend jacked up to 20) but I don't think Theon has to be called "Reek" to have the essence of Reek...even if I'd love them to find a way to work the sing-songs in without it being stupid Nightmare on Elm Street vibey. Maybe Ramsay's favorite way to taunt him. Like, Ramsay drags him close and sing-song-whispers "Reek Reek...it rhymes with...weak!"

I'm curious to see how they portray Ramsay. I mean, I'm sure it'll be close to the book, but I'm always interested in seeing what facets get changed around. Like Jorah being more dashing/less creepy, Cersei seeming more pensive, etc. Same thing in terms of relationships. I think they'll milk Theon and Ramsay's effed up squicky relationship for all it's worth.

Hehe, my dad didn't realize Ramsay was the Boy. He thought it was the chunky torturer. After I set him straight he said, "Oh that's actually neat. He looks rather delicate and pretty...to have him be this vicious psychopath will be awesome."

Theon basically the Stiffmeister of Game Thrones, he is a pathetic loser, and that is what makes him a totally awesome character.

He looks rather delicate and pretty...to have him be this vicious psychopath will be awesome."

I agree. Most psychopaths in reality are actually attractive and intelligent people, they are charismatic.

Archived