[Book Spoilers] "Boy"

Roose Bolton has a very clear Irish accent on the show. That is Michael's normal speaking voice. It is a Kerry accent. There is nothing English about his accent in the show. He is the only Irish actor on the show, second to Catelyn, who has kept his accent. It is probably because he has a brilliant speaking voice, which they needed for Roose.

He's TRYING to adopt an English accent for the show, and quite well in my opinion. I'm from Wexford myself and I know what his normal voice sounds like. Listen to his sound files on his agent's website, or any of the BMW ads he currently does the voiceover work for, and compare the accent in them to the one hear in Game of Thrones. The accent he uses in GOT is in no way reminiscent of a Kerry accent...

In relation to Michelle Fairley, she is also rounding her "r"s more than she would in her normal speaking voice.

He's TRYING to adopt an English accent for the show, and quite well in my opinion. I'm from Wexford myself and I know what his normal voice sounds like. Listen to his sound files on his agent's website, or any of the BMW ads he currently does the voiceover work for, and compare the accent in them to the one hear in Game of Thrones. The accent he uses in GOT is in no way reminiscent of a Kerry accent...

In relation to Michelle Fairley, she is also rounding her "r"s more than she would in her normal speaking voice.

It isn't a Kerry accent he uses for the show, but it certainly isn't an English accent. It is like a well spoken Irish accent, a posh Irish accent.

I lived in London for awhile so I can make out the broader ones but I love seeing them all laid out. Nice files for my stack of precedents. Heh, when I was there, nothing made me feel more like a BAMF than people being surprised the Texan girl could pick out their accent. Lucky Brits and Irish folk with your rich variety of accents.

I want to hear the Boy talk more. He had an interesting voice for his two whole lines.

It seems flaying is too costly for CGI (or too gruesome even for this show), and they are screwing screws into Theon instead. Good enough, I guess.

We had flaying in Buffy, I will be super disappointed if they don't flay at least one dude!

I love the actor who plays Roose's voice. I could listen to him talk all day. I get very excited when Roose comes on screen, just so I can listen to his voice. I wish he would have more scenes so that I can listen to him speak. I'm American, so I don't know much about the regional accents overseas, but that man has a gorgeous voice.

..Can you tell voices are my "thing"?

Ok, on topic, anybody know why D&D have gone through sooo much trouble to conceal Boy's role (considering the bookies already know Boy = Ramsay, I mean who else would he be??)This is my favorite show and all but some of the things they do, I'm like "What?... Why?!"

I love the actor who plays Roose's voice. I could listen to him talk all day. I get very excited when Roose comes on screen, just so I can listen to his voice. I wish he would have more scenes so that I can listen to him speak. I'm American, so I don't know much about the regional accents overseas, but that man has a gorgeous voice.

..Can you tell voices are my "thing"?

Ok, on topic, anybody know why D&D have gone through sooo much trouble to conceal Boy's role (considering the bookies already know Boy = Ramsay, I mean who else would he be??)This is my favorite show and all but some of the things they do, I'm like "What?... Why?!"

I have a feeling Ramsay isn't going to be revealed as "Ramsay Snow/Bolton, the bastard of Roose Bolton" until after the Red Wedding. I imagine D&D were like DUDE, THE TV AUDIENCE WILL BE SO SURPRISED THAT THE BOLTONS ARE EVIL!!! ... but I'm afraid the TV audience will just be like "Who the fuck are the Boltons?" lol *sigh*

I hope Theon's storyline doesn't get so much screen time. They might as well show him get mentally broken in ep.3-5 and then show nothing more of him until season 4. Theon's storyline in the books doesn't really lead anywhere, except as a totally passive POV character to give us insight into what the Boltons are doing in the North. IIRC, the TV show does not actually need to show us any of the goings-on in the courts of the Northern lords between the RW and the point where Davos sails into White Harbor because nothing of interest happens there. The Ironborn stumble around a little, Yara/Asha gets a storyline but Theon doesn't see or hear anything interesting.

Also I am REALLY not looking forward to watching Theon get tortured again and again and again.

I bet they will reveal him as Ramsay Bolton only right before the Red Wedding!

This.

They're going all out to give House Bolton some much needed character before their betrayal. What with Roose being put front and center as Robb's senior lieutenant, the constant talk of "my BASTARD at the Dreadfort" and Jaime's "aah the FLAYED MAN OF HOUSE BOLTON" upon seeing the rewritten "Locke."

Dropping all these clues throughout the dialogue of the show, just as GRRM littered the text of hints of their betrayal. Wouldn't be surprised if "Boy" is revealed during the RW episode.

I have a feeling Ramsay isn't going to be revealed as "Ramsay Snow/Bolton, the bastard of Roose Bolton" until after the Red Wedding. I imagine D&D were like DUDE, THE TV AUDIENCE WILL BE SO SURPRISED THAT THE BOLTONS ARE EVIL!!! ... but I'm afraid the TV audience will just be like "Who the fuck are the Boltons?" lol *sigh*

You're right, I can see that happening. And yeah, the Bolton family has not been explained enough. I remember my friend (who does not read the books) last season kept asking me who Roose was whenever he popped up on screen. The viewers don't know or really care who the Boltons are at this point. They show Karstark more, when he doesn't even have a lasting storyline. And I know they are probably wondering why this "Bastard" keeps getting mentioned but we never see him. I do hope that they don't wait until the RW to reveal Ramsay's identity, because I have my sights set on Theon being hunted down and tortured by the nice Boy who helped him escape.

This.

They're going all out to give House Bolton some much needed character before their betrayal. What with Roose being put front and center as Robb's senior lieutenant, the constant talk of "my BASTARD at the Dreadfort" and Jaime's "aah the FLAYED MAN OF HOUSE BOLTON" upon seeing the rewritten "Locke."

Dropping all these clues throughout the dialogue of the show, just as GRRM littered the text of hints of their betrayal. Wouldn't be surprised if "Boy" is revealed during the RW episode.

Agghh I hope not because what would it matter if Ramsay is evil to Theon or not? At this point, Theon is not a particularly likeable character, so I doubt Ramsay's actions towards him will have a matter of how the viewers see Roose. I doubt they will see Ramsay torturing Theon then go "Well gee, his dad must be insane too, I bet he'll betray and slaughter the northmen at some point". Especially since Ramsay's torture of Theon is what the northmen want.. Like when Cat was actually comforted by the bit of Theon's skin Ramsay sent them? Besides, I really want to see the look on Theon's face when Boy sets him free, then is all SIKE, BITCH!

Agghh I hope not because what would it matter if Ramsay is evil to Theon or not? At this point, Theon is not a particularly likeable character, so I doubt Ramsay's actions towards him will have a matter of how the viewers see Roose. I doubt they will see Ramsay torturing Theon then go "Well gee, his dad must be insane too, I bet he'll betray and slaughter the northmen at some point". Especially since Ramsay's torture of Theon is what the northmen want.. Like when Cat was actually comforted by the bit of Theon's skin Ramsay sent them? Besides, I really want to see the look on Theon's face when Boy sets him free, then is all SIKE, BITCH!

I actually think they're playing up a redemption arc for Theon quite well, similar to Jaime's. Yes, he killed two innocent kids, just like Jaime threw Bran out a window and killed his cousin. The fact that he didn't kill Bran and Rickon resonates with a lot of people though, and he clearly regretted his actions and felt pressured into them by his father, his sister, Dagmer etc., His scene with Maester Luwin begging him to take the black showed that he would have taken a way out if it were clean (which he didn't think the NW would be). Viewers will increasingly feel sorry for him as Ramsay tortures and breaks him, so Ramsay will indeed be seen as evil.

That said, as awesome as the reveal of Boy-as-Ramsay will be, it's nothing compared to Roose's betrayal of Robb and I have a hard time seeing them fit it into the RW storyline.

On the timing of the Bolton betrayal reveal- I've read the books twice and now I'm starting to have a hard time remembering why I didn't see it coming the first time. After all the build up and angst over Cat releasing Jaime, there is really no excuse for Roose just sending him on his merry way home from King's Landing if Roose is the least bit committed to Robb as his King.

I do think they will have a harder time keeping the Bolton's ambitions under the radar on the show. And showing Theon's arc at this point may add to that difficulty. Although, I suppose you could also move some of Bolton's ADWD comments up and set the viewers up to think he really doesn't trust Ramsay, or have much to do with him (i.e- he could talk about Ramsay killing his trueborn sons. Talk about him being untrustworthy because of his bastard blood, etc.).

With all that said, again I just can't get myself back into my non-spoiled mindset of when I first read the books, so I have a hard time even remembering how I rationalized Roose letting Jaime go when I didn't know.

I actually think they're playing up a redemption arc for Theon quite well, similar to Jaime's. Yes, he killed two innocent kids, just like Jaime threw Bran out a window and killed his cousin. The fact that he didn't kill Bran and Rickon resonates with a lot of people though, and he clearly regretted his actions and felt pressured into them by his father, his sister, Dagmer etc., His scene with Maester Luwin begging him to take the black showed that he would have taken a way out if it were clean (which he didn't think the NW would be). Viewers will increasingly feel sorry for him as Ramsay tortures and breaks him, so Ramsay will indeed be seen as evil.

That said, as awesome as the reveal of Boy-as-Ramsay will be, it's nothing compared to Roose's betrayal of Robb and I have a hard time seeing them fit it into the RW storyline.

I think what's bothering me is that show watchers have no reason to think that it wasn't the Ironborn who killed everyone at Winterfell / burned it down since those are the lies being fed to Robb/Cat ... and even though they know Theon was betrayed, I think they still blame him for that in their minds.

The show watchers that I regularly watch GoT with on sundays have all decided that either Theon's being held by the ironborn (the clothing/armor the Bolton men are wearing do look like the ironborn's, I can only assume they killed all of Theon's men and took it) or that Bolton's bastard is acting alone and decieving his father: they also think that the bastard is the torturer, the one who's been asking questions and did the thing with the fingernail. It's definitely a mystery by design, and should be pretty effective if they do the reveal right.

The show watchers that I regularly watch GoT with on sundays have all decided that either Theon's being held by the ironborn (the clothing/armor the Bolton men are wearing do look like the ironborn's, I can only assume they killed all of Theon's men and took it) or that Bolton's bastard is acting alone and decieving his father: they also think that the bastard is the torturer, the one who's been asking questions and did the thing with the fingernail. It's definitely a mystery by design, and should be pretty effective if they do the reveal right.

A lot of watchers seem to think the Ironborn have Theon, so I guess the ruse is working :) ... I mean, the last thing they saw was Theon being knocked out by Ironborn and them saying "Let's go home" or something, so it makes sense. The clothes also kind of match, right?

A lot of watchers seem to think the Ironborn have Theon, so I guess the ruse is working :) ... I mean, the last thing they saw was Theon being knocked out by Ironborn and them saying "Let's go home" or something, so it makes sense. The clothes also kind of match, right?

Yes, there is also one guy in the back wearing Greyjoy armor.

Archived