[BOOK SPOILERS] Margaery and Joffrey scene

Mladen

First, with appologies to all TV fans who hadn`t read the books, I have to advise you to skip this topic in order not to reveal some spoilers.

Now, this scene, was in my opinion, very well executed. It reminded us what Margaery wants and what she`ll get. But then Joffrey put that crossbow into her hands and started conversation:

Joffrey: Could you kill something?

Margaery: I don`t know, Your Grace. Do you think I could?

Joffrey: Yes

Margaery: Would you like to watch me?

In my opinion, this scene wonderfully forshadows one event

Purple wedding and Tyrell`s involvement in it

So, what do you think? Has this scene, beside Margaery`s political smartness, showed us something more? Has the writers hinted us future events I was talking about? And was this scene meant for book readers for full understanding?

Forshadowing aside for the moment, I felt this scene was superb. Joffery's mood swings, from dangerously inquisitive, to momentarily gallant and manly, to chillingly bloodthirsty, were absolutely NAILED by Jack Glesson, I remain a huge fan. And Natalie Dormer's role was also brilliant. Margery is fast becoming one of my favourite characters in a way she never was in the books. I love the way she facilitates Joffery's madness and yet controls it.

As for the forshadowing, I didn't think of that, good pick. We'll see how this develops.

Forshadowing aside for the moment, I felt this scene was superb. Joffery's mood swings, from dangerously inquisitive, to momentarily gallant and manly, to chillingly bloodthirsty, were absolutely NAILED by Jack Glesson, I remain a huge fan. And Natalie Dormer's role was also brilliant. Margery is fast becoming one of my favourite characters in a way she never was in the books. I love the way she facilitates Joffery's madness and yet controls it.

There`s no doubt in excellency both Gleeson and Dormer are presenting playing this pair. But when I looked them at the mirror with her line `would you like to watch me?` it occured to me there`s something more than just playing with him.

It was really awkward when Margaery implied Joffrey could do it in her bum if he wanted cause he's king.

Other than that the scene was pretty good, but I don't think it was foreshadowing for the event mentioned. I think it was just Margaery revealing she knew what kind of stuff Joffrey liked to watch and seducing him by saying she would do it for him (like the scene with Ros and other girl in season 2).

It was really awkward when Margaery implied Joffrey could do it in her bum if he wanted cause he's king.

Wait, Joffery was talking about outlawing such perversions, to wich she replied "as is your right, you are the king".

i think one of us must have missinterpreted that scene.

I took it as the Tyrell's playing Joffrey like a fiddle.

First they ask Sansa what Joffrey is "really" like, and shortly after you see Margery roll in and play right along with the "monster" inside joffrey.

I took it as the Tyrell's playing Joffrey like a fiddle.

First they ask Sansa what Joffrey is "really" like, and shortly after you see Margery roll in and play right along with the "monster" inside joffrey.

Completely agree with this, superb scene.

She was saying that she had even offered to let Renly "go in the back door" just to try and get him in bed with her at all, because he didn't like girl parts.

I also agree that it was well played in that she was appealing to his demented side to gain his favor, though I still don't like her being so openly and deviously ambitious this early.

She was saying that she had even offered to let Renly "go in the back door" just to try and get him in bed with her at all, because he didn't like girl parts.

No, im pretty sure she said that it was Renly who had suggested the backdoor idea once when he was very drunk, and she hinted that she took it as a sign of him being gay.

This was the second best scene of the episode (Cat talking about Jon was her best scene of the series IMO). But, I can say that I absolutely loved it and Margaery is quickly becoming one of my favorite characters in the show (her face when Sansa say Joff is a monster is priceless)... As angry as I was most of last season for the poor adaptation, I am more than happy this season. Let's hope they keep it up.

I rewatched the scene and this was what Margaery said "Except one night, after far too much wine, he suggested something that sounded very painful and could not possibly result in children"

to wich joffery replies:

"He was a known degenerate, i have considered making his perversions punishable by death"

to wich margaery replies

"As is your right, you must do whatever you need to do, you are the King,"

So margaery never suggested backdooring with Renly, neither did she imply that she would allow joffery to do it.

I rewatched the scene and this was what Margaery said "Except one night, after far too much wine, he suggested something that sounded very painful and could not possibly result in children"

to wich joffery replies:

"He was a known degenerate, i have considered making his perversions punishable by death"

to wich margaery replies

"As is your right, you must do whatever you need to do, you are the King,"

So margaery never suggested backdooring with Renly, neither did she imply that she would allow joffery to do it.

I can't help thinking that Renly's character has been pretty comprehensively assasinated in the series.

You're right about that one, for some reason I was thinking that she said she suggested it, but it was in fact Renly's suggestion.

I was tickled by her conveniently leaving out how she said she could have her brother come in and get him started if it helped.

Wow, that was a lot of posts between reading Maester Ruin's post to me and getting back here with my breakfast.

First, with appologies to all TV fans who hadn`t read the books, I have to advise you to skip this topic in order not to reveal some spoilers.

Now, this scene, was in my opinion, very well executed. It reminded us what Margaery wants and what she`ll get. But then Joffrey put that crossbow into her hands and started conversation:

Joffrey: Could you kill something?

Margaery: I don`t know, Your Grace. Do you think I could?

Margaery: Would you like to watch me?

In my opinion, this scene wonderfully forshadows one event

Purple wedding and Tyrell`s involvement in it

totally I thought it stood out in the episode and really lets us see the Tyrells in their natural habitat and gives more depth to Margaery than the books have done

This and the Olenna scene were the best bits of the episode. Love how the Tyrell's are shaping up to be the most devious schemers at court.

At first I thought Margery would only try to dissuade Joffrey from his perversions to protect her own skin after what they learned from Sansa, but then she kept leading him on and encouraging him to win is favor, which will likely lead to future BDSM scenes at the expense of various servants.

It's possible. However, what she did was appealing to his... let's say unconventional fetish, and by doing so she has the upper hand. She's very smart, and I loved the fact she wasn't fazed at all.

Archived