[Book spoilers]Locke

Seems simple enough to me; have Jaime try to escape and Locke cuts his hand off either in a fight, or to teach him a lesson. Roose Bolton comes along later and tries to play it up like Locke was going too far. He may even kill Locke in front of Jaime to try to make amends with Jaime/Tywin and then lets him go. Roose won't have to worry about what Robb thinks about the whole affair for much longer anyway. The timing will be close enough for him.

Jaime will definitely lose his hand, right? He could also become an ineffective swordsman if he loses a few fingers, which could be done ~accidentally~ somehow in a struggle, maybe.. I dunno. I'm excited to see how they do it. Is it next episode?

This dilemma is just more bad writing on the writers' part. Having to workaround not having the bloody mummers is the result of this. I am curious too to see how they actually pull this off without it looking completely ridiculous (like Ramsay "freeing" Theon).

This dilemma is just more bad writing on the writers' part. Having to workaround not having the bloody mummers is the result of this. I am curious too to see how they actually pull this off without it looking completely ridiculous (like Ramsay "freeing" Theon).

Ramsay plays a game with his victims where he sets them free and then hunts them down with his bitches. It's not ridiculous, you are.

They should havwe just made him Steelshanks Walton, soooooooooooo much better of a name that Locke.

I think it's because the writers are secretly communists and they despise liberty and democracy and wish to subtly impugn the name of the philosopher John Locke.

The Noseless and Handless Lannister brothers can't exist in HBO's version since Tyrion kept his. maybe tv Jaime will share a similar fate?

I've been wondering this as well.

Some shows can hide a missing hand, but even that gets distracting after a while (Walking Dead's Merle and even Once Upon a Time's Hook). Maybe they'll maim/mangle his hand so he can't hold a sword but let him keep the hand.

I am glad they've kept Vargo's lisp. "If the King in the North hearth I had the Kingthlayer and let him go he would take my head right off. I'd rather he taketh yourth". It's nto as strong as Vargo's, but it's still great.

The most effective explanation for Locke cutting off Jaime's hand is if he launches another escape attempt (with a sword) which results in Locke losing a few men...so then Locke takes his sword-hand away so that he can't pose a threat anymore. This I think would serve to explain why a Bolton bannerman would maim a high-value prisoner like the Kingslayer wihout the say-so of his superiors.

***BOOK SPILERS***

That being said...I dont see how they could show Jaime Lannister taking out several men on his own after the pitiful display against Brienne in the last episode...they screwed that fight up so bad it was painful to watch - I know they were trying to show how rusty he'd become while in captivity but his fighting in that scene was TERRIBLE. In the books he literally hands her ass to her until he starts getting tired. Brienne describes it as the fight of her life..I dont see TV Brienne thinking the same thing.

I don't see Jaime's hand being cut off as part of some sort of escape. The problem is that since Locke is Roose's man and Roose specifically sent Locke to find Jaime, Locke would have specific instructions not to harm him if Roose was at all thinking about handing Jaime back to Tywin as part of his new alliance. So, the possibilities are:

1. Roose hasn't yet decided to jump on the Lannister bandwagon. He wants Jaime because the North wants revenge for Ned and for Karstark's sons. So, he doesn't care if Jaime comes back minus a hand.

2. Locke knows, or suspects, that Roose is going to give Jaime back to Tywin and form an alliance, but for some reason doesn't want that to happen. Perhaps he has some history with Tywin or the Lannisters generally and doesn't think he'd be accepted. Or, he doesn't understand all Roose is planning with the RW, etc. and thinks he's better off staying tied to Robb and the other Northmen.

#1 would be a bit cleaner on this plot point, but I suspect it will be some form of #2, which is pretty similar to what happens with Hoat in the book.

I don't see Jaime's hand being cut off as part of some sort of escape. The problem is that since Locke is Roose's man and Roose specifically sent Locke to find Jaime, Locke would have specific instructions not to harm him if Roose was at all thinking about handing Jaime back to Tywin as part of his new alliance. So, the possibilities are:

1. Roose hasn't yet decided to jump on the Lannister bandwagon. He wants Jaime because the North wants revenge for Ned and for Karstark's sons. So, he doesn't care if Jaime comes back minus a hand.

2. Locke knows, or suspects, that Roose is going to give Jaime back to Tywin and form an alliance, but for some reason doesn't want that to happen. Perhaps he has some history with Tywin or the Lannisters generally and doesn't think he'd be accepted. Or, he doesn't understand all Roose is planning with the RW, etc. and thinks he's better off staying tied to Robb and the other Northmen.

#1 would be a bit cleaner on this plot point, but I suspect it will be some form of #2, which is pretty similar to what happens with Hoat in the book.

I think a variation #2 would be OK. Locke knowing about Roose's plans would be good and having a hatred for the Lannisters would be ammunition for the hand chopping, despite his loyalty to Roose.

I don't mind that they replace Vargo Hoat with Locke and makes him a Bolton solider and I understand why they do it.

However I am going to miss Shagwell and the rest of the pshycos that makes up the Brave Companions. Oh, and all of Hoat's hilarious dialouge as well.

I think a variation #2 would be OK. Locke knowing about Roose's plans would be good and having a hatred for the Lannisters would be ammunition for the hand chopping, despite his loyalty to Roose.

The problem is that they have already established what Locke thinks about disregarding one of Bolton's orders. Why would he suddenly change it vis a vis Jamie's hand? We already knows he is serious about not losing his head, it was like the 2nd thing he said. Why would he about face on not returning a broken Jamie?

The most effective explanation for Locke cutting off Jaime's hand is if he launches another escape attempt (with a sword) which results in Locke losing a few men...so then Locke takes his sword-hand away so that he can't pose a threat anymore. This I think would serve to explain why a Bolton bannerman would maim a high-value prisoner like the Kingslayer wihout the say-so of his superiors.

***BOOK SPILERS***

That being said...I dont see how they could show Jaime Lannister taking out several men on his own after the pitiful display against Brienne in the last episode...they screwed that fight up so bad it was painful to watch - I know they were trying to show how rusty he'd become while in captivity but his fighting in that scene was TERRIBLE. In the books he literally hands her ass to her until he starts getting tired. Brienne describes it as the fight of her life..I dont see TV Brienne thinking the same thing.

Thank you for noting book spoilers after you'd already mentioned chopping of the hand.

Vargo Hoat did it because he was wary of Bolton's coming betrayal, something they probably couldn't show without ruining the surprise / didn't have a sufficient build-up to. What I see happening now is that Jaime will wage another escape attempt, possibly kill a few men in the process, and Locke will cut off his hand then.

Archived