[Book Spoilers] If Joffrey is already being fitted for wedding clothes...

If the PW is this season, how can Oberyn represent Tyrion? He's not been cast, so presumably he's not in the season, and if he's rushed in, how will he give us basically all of the back story we have on the Martells?

They could end the season with Joff dying but Tyrion is not accused. The Martells arrive AFTER the wedding, for episode 4.1 and Tyrion is arrested at the end of episode.

He was just trying some new clothes to impress Margeary and look "manly". It´s the continuation of the last episode where he felt all embarassed when Cersei described him as endangered and almost dying during the Flee Bottom coup. No wedding related at all.

I just reread the chapters after the RW. The PW doesn't happen long after. Just a Tyrion chapter meeting with Tywin and Cercei & co. (everybody is mine to torment - part i think) and Tyrion telling Sansa about the RW. There's only three Tyrion chapters and a Sansa chapter right after the RW that deal with the PW. I really want it to be in this season. For one, I just want to see it so bad. Two. I don't think it would rush things at all because of the chapter chronology. It makes sense. Three. It makes sense for the writing because it will give the non-reading portion a good thing after a very bad thing, and something to look forward to in season four, that being Tyrion's trial.

Everyone is saying it's not happening, but is this from spoiler/leaked knowledge? Since I've read the books and it won't get better than that, I really don't mind knowing early.

I'm hoping it doesn't happen because this season we don't have Mace Tyrell or the Red Viper and that means a lot has to happen between the PW and Tyrion's trial that will IMO badly take from the latter. On second thoughts it may happen so that they don't have to bring back Gleeson for a couple of episodes next season

He was just trying some new clothes to impress Margeary and look "manly". It´s the continuation of the last episode where he felt all embarassed when Cersei described him as endangered and almost dying during the Flee Bottom coup. No wedding related at all.

:agree: I think this is true and agree to this post.

If I was going to place a bet, I'd place the PW at about S04E04. I don't think there's enough room in this season for it, and I think they'll have to deal with its aftermath for a large portion of Season 4. Rather than building up for it as the big set piece of the season, I think it'll be handled a bit more like Renly's death in S02. Unexpected, but more of a dramatic setup than resolution.

If GOT were a more cliffhanger-y show, though, that would totally be how to end the season. Final shot: Margaery takes a big drink from the wedding chalice. Zoom in to an extreme closeup of her hand, as she adjusts her grip on the chalice and an amethyst briefly appears in her fingers. She discreetly drops it into the chalice, sets the chalice down on the table, and smiles. Zoom close on the wine, which transitions to a fade to black. Credits.

I'm thinking the PW will be around episode 4 next season as well. That would give just enough time for TV viewers to get into a "Joffrey's won" kind of mentality so that it will be a shocker, and it leaves over half the season to deal with the immediate aftermath and set up for the Tyrion murders in episode 9 (at about 58 minutes in, of course), and episode 10 for the escape/wrapup.

The fact that they included all that talk about Mace's oafishness and ambition this episode strongly suggests that they will eventually introduce Mace Tyrell. And he will be present when his darling daughter becomes queen. Since he has not been cast this season - just as Oberyn Martell - it's pretty obvious that the Purple Wedding is going to happen next season. It will be the first season climax, just as the Unsullied will be this season.

This was obvious from the moment they revealed that ASoS would be two seasons, not one.

Why do people think the trial would be rushed if PW happened this season and next season they introduce the Martells and the trial? If Tyrion's escape is episode 10 that means we could have the trial by combat in episode 8 or 9 which gives most of an entire season to introduce Oberyn. That's more time than Renly got and almost as much as Stannis has gotten. Robert and Ned only lasted about that long. Why do the Martells need as much set up as the Tyrells do at this point? Arguably the Tyrells are far more important to the King's Landing storyline so it is better to spend more time giving them characterization this season. Oberyn barely has an impact on King's Landing so you can easily learn everything you need to about him in 3-4 scenes next season.

At this point my main gripe is that they haven't had Tommen in a single scene yet he's going to be king sometime soon. Non book readers are already forgetting about him. Hopefully the next episode or two has Loras teaching him to be a knight.

Back when we had this massive thread in the General Discussion forum aout when the PW would be fitted in, I made these long massive posts arguing that I was completely sure it would happen this season and that it made perfect story sense as well. If it does happen in Episode 10 as I predicted, I will have the biggest case of 'I told you so' ever,and I'll probably become really annoying :).

Why do people think the trial would be rushed if PW happened this season and next season they introduce the Martells and the trial? If Tyrion's escape is episode 10 that means we could have the trial by combat in episode 8 or 9 which gives most of an entire season to introduce Oberyn. That's more time than Renly got and almost as much as Stannis has gotten. Robert and Ned only lasted about that long. Why do the Martells need as much set up as the Tyrells do at this point? Arguably the Tyrells are far more important to the King's Landing storyline so it is better to spend more time giving them characterization this season. Oberyn barely has an impact on King's Landing so you can easily learn everything you need to about him in 3-4 scenes next season.

At this point my main gripe is that they haven't had Tommen in a single scene yet he's going to be king sometime soon. Non book readers are already forgetting about him. Hopefully the next episode or two has Loras teaching him to be a knight.

I'm not saying the PW this season is impossible I'm just saying it would be extremely illogical. In fact, the entire reason that the Martells are showing up in the first place was an act of goodwill by Tywin (if I remember correctly) hoping to mend relations after the Mountain raped that one girl that Oberyn will eventually kill him over in the combat scene (sorry--I don't remember her name right now, it's been a long time since I read the books). Anyway, it should be realized that they are not just strolling into King's Landing for no reason. Getting to the wedding is the only reason they'd show up. ThereforeI think it will be next season. Not saying that's set in stone but it's just my personal opinion and what I would do if I were a writer.

It does make sense to have both weddings this season.

Remember the three leaches Stannis burned as he said those three significant names... But if they never show him burn them, then it would be asking a lot to have it all crammed into one season.

I think Episode 10s gonna have the PW, little bit of light after the RW. Also it will leave a nice cliffhanger for Season 4, it ends wit Tyrion being accused of murdering Joff so now Season 4 can really focus on his trial, the Gregor vs Red Viper fight, and Tyrions subsequent escape.

(Along with other things, I just meant the Tyrion storyline since hes one of the most loved characters on the TV show)

I completely agree only I think the PW will be episode 10 and the RW episode 9.

Gods, I hope it isn't. But we'll see. I think that'd be too much. If the RW were in episode 8, I could see it. But I think 10 has to deal with the aftermath of the RW and things of that nature.

I used to argue for the PW because the season needs to end with their being some kinda hope for the underwolf team.

The show has quite a few reactions to go through following the RW: Arya, Sansa, Tywin, Tyrion, Joffrey, Cersei, Jaime/Brienne, Davos

The most logical simple way to end the season is not the PW. The simplest way is to have it end is

Catelyn resurrected

I'm thinking the PW will be around episode 4 next season as well. That would give just enough time for TV viewers to get into a "Joffrey's won" kind of mentality so that it will be a shocker, and it leaves over half the season to deal with the immediate aftermath and set up for the Tyrion murders in episode 9 (at about 58 minutes in, of course), and episode 10 for the escape/wrapup.

I haven't thought about that "Joffrey won" mentality. Non-book readers will be furious. PW happening an episode after the RW would be bad. I agree that PW will probably happen episodes 3-5 season 4.

Archived