[Book Spoilers] "Because The raven is you"

Well, I'm convinced that S4 will include his ADWD material and afterwards Bran will be written out of the show, until he returns for the later seasons. He has like 8 chapters in ASOS+AFFC+ADWD. There's simply not material enough, and I don't see B&W inventing lots of material for him: he's not a fan favourite, he'll be alone in the far Norh, he's a cripple, and most importantly, they can't use him as an excuse to show some boobs.

I don't see how Bran can get written out of the show in a way that is believable.. BUt I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

I agree that Bran is going to get written out after S4. He's just growing up too fast. I think Rickon will probably be killed off too since I highly doubt he's playing a major role in TWoW (because that's what EVERYONE expects and we all know GRRM likes to be less predictable).

That's a good point. You can always bring them back (like they did in Lost) and recast Rickon when he comes back into play -- which he will!

I think that they have decided to cut Bloodraven, and I can understand why they'd do this. Having the haouse of the mythical Children of the Forest presided by a rooted albino with a huge bloodstain without explaining who he is would confuse viewers. And explaining Bloodraven would take too much time.

It's far easier to give his lines to some kind of Children leader.

That could be, and I think the OP's theory could be true as well, but I'd bet they just don't want to get into it for now. What if the show doesn't get to a sixth season? Why make decisions now about how to handle stuff so far down the road if they can punt the issue without serious consequences?

If they decide to explain and cast Bloodraven, they can always make the three-eyed crow/raven an aspect of Bran that Bloodraven was influencing or communicating through. I'm not even sure that would be all that inaccurate. Or they could probably just ignore what Jojen said entirely and no one would take much notice.

I didn't get this line as well. As I listened to the books I always pictured the 3 eyed crow as Bloodraven using the crow to connect with Bran. I guess its is the writers way of speeding up the process of Bran discovering that he will be replacing the current "3 eyed crow". To me it seems this season is blasting thru the book, but I guess they have to. Though I am a big fan of them stretching the season out by a few more episodes.

Given Brans lack of material but also the fact his story has the most super natural elements it would make sense I think for them to not cut Blood Raven and instead spend time having him fill in gaps about the blackfyres, golden company, old gods, etc

The main issue is where GRRM intends to take this side of things in the books, so that by say season 4/5 there are not TWOW spoilers creeping in.

Brans story is huge, it has, I think, the largest implications. He's about to become a god like figure, or at least have almost god like powers, that's incredible in the context of the low fantasy world we are led to believe he lives in.

I doubt without a mentor like figure and a training montage(ha)that a tv audience would understand just how important Bran is or even how important blood raven is, without a lot more dialogue between them than there is in the books.

I've totally digressed, but to anyone else's knowledge has GRRM used time travel as a theme before? In his dream perhaps bran is that particular raven, but it also seems odd that the writers would make such a specific hit on theories that have been floating around for some time now...

There will still be a BloodRaven, it's some way off but (like season 5 or 6). They won't introduce characters they don't have to deal with yet until they actually need them.

As for the three-eyed crow (eh raven) the symbolism is more important that the literal interpretation of it. If the third eye is a manifestation of Bran's abilities then it makes sense.

Also given the change to the way Jojen is introduced, it doesn't take a genius to know that "someone" focussed Jojen on Bran ... That someone is likely the Bloodraven.

There will still be a BloodRaven, it's some way off but (like season 5 or 6). They won't introduce characters they don't have to deal with yet until they actually need them.

As for the three-eyed crow (eh raven) the symbolism is more important that the literal interpretation of it. If the third eye is a manifestation of Bran's abilities then it makes sense.

Also given the change to the way Jojen is introduced, it doesn't take a genius to know that "someone" focussed Jojen on Bran ... That someone is likely the Bloodraven.

That pot is like Tyrion's cup in Episode 10 of the first season.

But seriously, it's premature to assume that Bloodraven is now completely cut. More than one way to skin a cat. Let's just wait and see, shall we?

I hope you're both right! While I don't necessarily assume Bloodraven is written out already I do wish they would have foreshadowed him somewhere along the line already if he's going to make an appearance later.

This was handled really poorly imo. We don't know who this Reed character is and why would Bran and Osha agree to follow him? Who the heck is he and where are they going?

"We've come a long way to find you, and we have a long way to go."

That's all we got, and the next thing we know they are chatting like they've known each other forever, walking on the same path as a troop to somewhere. No one knows where.

This scene from TV perspective is ridiculous imo.

This sentence does seem to conflict with what we know from the book on the first look, namely that Bloodraven impersonates a three eyed crow to guide Bran. But on a second thought, there are several situations where this could prove to be true. For example, we know from Bloodraven talking about the Weirwoods that they don't know time, but simultaneously see themselves as a little sapling to a big ass tree. If you see Bran as Bloodravens successor, then Bran is the three eyed crow.

It's a jarring sentence for sure in the show, but I guess we need to wait 1 to 2 seasons at least to find out more on it ;)

:agree:

This was handled really poorly imo. We don't know who this Reed character is and why would Bran and Osha agree to follow him? Who the heck is he and where are they going?

"We've come a long way to find you, and we have a long way to go."

That's all we got, and the next thing we know they are chatting like they've known each other forever, walking on the same path as a troop to somewhere. No one knows where.

This scene from TV perspective is ridiculous imo.

Did you not have your sound on? Did you miss the opening scene where Bran dreams of Jojen? Did you miss Summer giving his approval and not ripping the Reeds to shreds? Did you miss Bran making the connection to Howland?

Most importantly, did you miss Jojen saying his father told him nothing of the rebellion, but he saw it anyway? That's huge.

Care to elaborate?

Bran and Osha are stuck with nowhere to go, no purpose, hiding. Measter Luwin bid them to go north to the wall. Osha wants to go south away from the wall. That story line is dead. But oh, look at this, here comes deus ex machina to save the irrelevant plot--Jojen and Meera--and now they are on the move to nowhere again.

Not one viewer knows a single thing about Jojen or Meera. Not one viewer knows where they are headed, but hey, they've come a long way for Bran and they have a long way to go.

Osha's got her spear back and Bran is as comfortable with Jojen as if they grew up together. WTF?!? They trust them completely in their journey to long-way-to-go, even though they've been hiding from every stranger.

This plot device was just ridiculous imo. Sorry.

Archived