(Book Spoilerd) Are D+D deliberately slowing down stuff in King's Landing...

protar

Possible Spoiler to people who haven't read the books {i dunno how to use the Spoiler brackets, lol}

I think the PW might be this season is because:

One of the videos released before the season premiere, was about the creators and storytellers discussing how they storyboard each season.. Making sure all characters have a good arc for each season; if the PW isn't this season, then why would Sansa's first scene in the premiere be with LF plotting to escape which doesn't happen until the PW. I think her escape would be a great arc and it definately sets up the LF storyline.

I don't understand why some people still seem to think that the PW will be happening this season. For many reasons..

Book 3 is a large book to cover. Therefore, it would take roughly two seasons. Why have two very large events (RW AND PW) in the same season? What will be left for next season?

If you look at the episode titles, The Rains of Castamere is episode 9. We all know that was the song that was played during the massacre at the RW, therefore eppy 9 will be the RW. Since PW comes after RW, I doubt it will happen in eppy 10..

None of the Dornish have been casted yet, and it's crucial for Oberyn to be present at the PW since he is a witness.

I personally think that book 3 could have been covered in one season, if you cut out all the bullshit, like Bronn hanging out with strange voiced prostitutes and whatnot. It's a lot of material to cover but it could have been done in one season. Though I'm not 100 % sure how long ASOIAF spans, year wise, I'm interested to see how they handle all the kid's growth spurts.. especially Bran's!

Aidan Gillen has already said that he is going to have a ship in season 4. Season 4, not season 3, so Sansa's escape is not going to happen this season.

And, in fact, if they are not stupid they pull the plug on this Littlefinger escape thing as soon as possible. Littlefinger indicates that he would take Sansa with him when he leaves for the Vale. But Sansa is going to decline this because she will be secretly betrothed to a Tyrell. TV Littlefinger most likely will be pissed about this, and may even cut all ties to Sansa after/when he tells Tywin about the Tyrell plot and arranges the Tyrion-Sansa-marriage.

Since there is no Dontos in the show, it may very well be that Ros may end up getting Sansa out of the castle during the Purple Wedding. They could arrange it as if Ros does no longer work for Littlefinger at this time, making it still somewhat a surprise when she delivers Sansa to him, and is subsequently killed (perhaps because Littlefinger finds out that she has betrayed him to Varys).

I do feel like they are slowing down the King's Landing storyline but speeding up the rest. We were well into Arya's storyline before the Hound sees her. I remember it was shortly before the RW, because after he wins his trial, he leaves then comes back to kidnap her to take her to Cat for an award. I know Arya's story won't be in every episode this season because of the expanded cast, but I just still thought that was strange.

Littlefinger's obsession with Cat and the lack of the Dontos plot in season 2 are intrinsically linked because it would make no sense for Littlefinger to abdicate/save Sansa, if he actually is still hoping to gain the affection of her mother.

As to the Dontos plot in season 2:

If they had kept Littlefinger at KL where he belonged until after Renly's death. If he had been made a Lannister envoy by both Cersei and Tyrion after they learned of Renly's demise and the fact that the Tyrells did not declare for Stannis, then the Dontos plot could have been introduced rather late in season 2. All they would have needed to do was to postpone Littlefinger's note until he left KL for Highgarden. There could have been only one or two scenes with Dontos in season 2.

Right now it's still possible that season 3 might actually show us the gestation process of the poisoning plot. It was already agreed upon between Olenna and Littlefinger in ASoS how this was going to happen, all the Queen of Thorns did was to ensure that they were intending to do the right thing (that's why they were questioning Sansa).

And as I've tried to tell before, they seem to continue they habit of inventing additional scenes. There will be a scene with Varys and Olenna, Olenna and Tywin, Tywin and Pycelle, hopefully scenes involving Tywin and Cersei privately, and so on. And finally season 3 is going to give us stuff severely missed in season 2: Varys telling Tyrion how he got cut in Myr.

I do mostly agree with you here so I'm not sure what the argument is. I wouldn't have minded for example setting up the Dontos plot fairly late in the season and maybe end Sansa's arc with hope of escape (Maybe even the hairnet.).

I don't think the KL plot has been particularly slow. Episode 2 was about introducing new characters ins some locations, and establishing the new dynamic in others. That was the function of the episode and it was achieved. In order for an Ep to flow, the different storylines in one episode need to have a common, if very subtle, beat about them. They don't always manage it on this show, but they did in ep2 and that's why it flowed so seamlessly.

I think it's unreasonable to expect PW in this season. Like I said in another thread, you can not have 3 weddings in the span of 4 - 5 episode without it seeming one-tone and slightly ridiculous to the audience. 3 weddings and a zombie jokes, anyone? It's the reason they rushed Robb's wedding into S2.

Possible Spoiler to people who haven't read the books {i dunno how to use the Spoiler brackets, lol}

I think the PW might be this season is because:

One of the videos released before the season premiere, was about the creators and storytellers discussing how they storyboard each season.. Making sure all characters have a good arc for each season; if the PW isn't this season, then why would Sansa's first scene in the premiere be with LF plotting to escape which doesn't happen until the PW. I think her escape would be a great arc and it definately sets up the LF storyline.

Sansa'a Arc will be about her losing the chance to runaway with LF when Tywin forces her to marry Tyrion. OR her arc will be about her turning down, at Shae's urging, LF's offer to runaway in order to marry a Tyrell (Loras probably) and then LF squealing to Tywin, who forces her to marry Tyrion.

I don't think the KL plot has been particularly slow. Episode 2 was about introducing new characters ins some locations, and establishing the new dynamic in others. That was the function of the episode and it was achieved. In order for an Ep to flow, the different storylines in one episode need to have a common, if very subtle, beat about them. They don't always manage it on this show, but they did in ep2 and that's why it flowed so seamlessly.

I think it's unreasonable to expect PW in this season. Like I said in another thread, you can not have 3 weddings in the span of 4 - 5 episode without it seeming one-tone and slightly ridiculous to the audience. 3 weddings and a zombie jokes, anyone? It's the reason they rushed Robb's wedding into S2.

I'm not sure what this "flowing seamlessly" is in E2. I thought that, especially at the beginning it was very disjointed and jumping all over the place. We were back to the clip-show formula of S2. It improved slightly as the episode progressed but I think that E2 failed in regards to keeping everything flowing and well paced.

And sure you can have three weddings in a season. A 6-8-10 punch would have been perfect. It's a theme for the series, the rule of three is always good and of course each wedding is very different. It wouldn't have seemed one tone.

My overall feeling of season 2 was that we got way too much scenes which hang completely in the air (the brothel Ros scene, for instance), don't lead to anything (Cersei slapping Joffrey; Littlefinger and Cersei), or are repetitive and boring (Tywin and Arya, Xaro telling again and again how poor he was).

The feeling about a disjointed story cannot be mended. Many stories and characters in ASoIaF don't have anything to do with each other. This inevitably is reflected in the show one way or the other.

What really felt rushed and out of the place in season 2 was the introduction of Stannis. By putting him in the middle of the episode instead of trying to recreate the special feeling of a Prologue before the credits, they made it much more difficult to give the audience a sense of this new character(s).

As to the Purple Wedding in the final episode:

I still don't see how this could have worked. Not without causing major problems for the story in King's Landing in season 4. And I do consider the whole suggestions about 'Oberyn meeting Tyrion while he is imprisoned' or not killing Tywin in the final episode of season 4 major problems.

I honestly think ASoS could have been adapted better in one season than with the Purple Wedding as final episode of season 4.

Oh, and yes: Sansa's arc this season will have little to do with Littlefinger, and mostly concern her relationship to Shae, the Tyrells, and, of course, Tyrion. In the end she will be Lady Lannister, and the only known child of Eddard Stark that is still alive. That is something. And we should also keep in mind that this whole arc talk is mostly just talks, especially in a show such as this. There are way too many characters on screen to give each and everyone of the major characters an arc.

I'm not sure what this "flowing seamlessly" is in E2. I thought that, especially at the beginning it was very disjointed and jumping all over the place. We were back to the clip-show formula of S2. It improved slightly as the episode progressed but I think that E2 failed in regards to keeping everything flowing and well paced.

And sure you can have three weddings in a season. A 6-8-10 punch would have been perfect. It's a theme for the series, the rule of three is always good and of course each wedding is very different. It wouldn't have seemed one tone.

And the book doesn't do that? There's little other way that they can do the show, they already cut out several major characters from both the first and second episodes. How else could they do it without cutting out whole arcs for several weeks?

My overall feeling of season 2 was that we got way too much scenes which hang completely in the air (the brothel Ros scene, for instance), don't lead to anything (Cersei slapping Joffrey; Littlefinger and Cersei), or are repetitive and boring (Tywin and Arya, Xaro telling again and again how poor he was).

I agree here, and I'm seeing a lot of these again in KL for S3. It's not across the board and overall I think that S3 is a step up from S2 so far.

The feeling about a disjointed story cannot be mended. Many stories and characters in ASoIaF don't have anything to do with each other. This inevitably is reflected in the show one way or the other.

I think you misunderstood me. I'm not necessarily talking about the fact that many plot lines are unconnected to one another, I'm talking about the jumping swiftly from one plot to another and back again in E2, whereas E1 gave us more time in one go with each plot.

What really felt rushed and out of the place in season 2 was the introduction of Stannis. By putting him in the middle of the episode instead of trying to recreate the special feeling of a Prologue before the credits, they made it much more difficult to give the audience a sense of this new character(s).

I agree here. I think that a condensed version of the prologue would have worked very well but I can see why they avoided it. The COK prologue lends itself less well to an impactful opening than the AGOT prologue does. It's a lot longer, less action packed and introduces a lot of characters. However a brief scene of Davos and Cressen talking, followed by the feast and introduction to Stannis and Melisandre would have worked imo.

As to the Purple Wedding in the final episode:

I still don't see how this could have worked. Not without causing major problems for the story in King's Landing in season 4. And I do consider the whole suggestions about 'Oberyn meeting Tyrion while he is imprisoned' or not killing Tywin in the final episode of season 4 major problems.

I honestly think ASoS could have been adapted better in one season than with the Purple Wedding as final episode of season 4.

One solution would have been to actually cast Oberyn for this season. He could easily have been bought in for episode 7, giving him nearly half a season (4 episodes) to make an impact and be set up as a suspect for the PW.

As for Tywin dying in E9 instead of 10 I've said many times why I personally think that would be the best route. While it's not the best conclusion for Tyrion's arc, having Tyrion arrive at Pentos is best for the plot as a whole, setting up Dany to actually be a part of the main story for the first time.

On that disjointed thing:

Actually, I think revisiting the same location/characters in the same can work. It's a good way to show that some time has passed (between Arya meeting the Brotherhood and the inn, for example, or between Jaime and Brienne meeting the farmer and the duel/capture scene at the end). But this only works if the characters have something to do in those episodes.

But what really seems to give the feeling as if it's not happening all that much is that we only get a fraction of the major KL characters in the multiple scenes. As of yet we got no Small Council session, despite the fact that this could have been used to (re-)introduce many of the characters and their relationships to one another. We could have gotten Tywin, Cersei, Joffrey, Varys, Littlefinger, and Pycelle all in one scene. They could even have included Margaery and/or Olenna in such scene. I guess they might do something like that in the very near future, but KL is mostly all about politics, and most of that is happening on the council. I also wonder why Tywin was not taking dinner with Cersei, Joffrey, and the Tyrells. Sure, he rules the Realm, but you still dine with the King from time to time...

On Tywin's death: It's not that important in which episode he dies, but if the Purple Wedding were to happen this season, I just can't see Tywin dying in the end of season 4. More like episode 4 or so. They cannot possible have Tyrion in the dungeons for an entire season, nor can they drag out Tywin remaining in charge for nearly an entire season after Joffrey's death. None of the Lannister would have anything to do in that season if they would try to do this. I don't see any need to put all that much episodes between the Purple Wedding and Tywin's death. Which is why I still hope to get Joff's death in episode 4 of season 4.

Well... I can only say that I strongly disagree with you, on both points.

On that disjointed thing:

Actually, I think revisiting the same location/characters in the same can work. It's a good way to show that some time has passed (between Arya meeting the Brotherhood and the inn, for example, or between Jaime and Brienne meeting the farmer and the duel/capture scene at the end). But this only works if the characters have something to do in those episodes.

But what really seems to give the feeling as if it's not happening all that much is that we only get a fraction of the major KL characters in the multiple scenes. As of yet we got no Small Council session, despite the fact that this could have been used to (re-)introduce many of the characters and their relationships to one another. We could have gotten Tywin, Cersei, Joffrey, Varys, Littlefinger, and Pycelle all in one scene. They could even have included Margaery and/or Olenna in such scene. I guess they might do something like that in the very near future, but KL is mostly all about politics, and most of that is happening on the council. I also wonder why Tywin was not taking dinner with Cersei, Joffrey, and the Tyrells. Sure, he rules the Realm, but you still dine with the King from time to time...

On Tywin's death: It's not that important in which episode he dies, but if the Purple Wedding were to happen this season, I just can't see Tywin dying in the end of season 4. More like episode 4 or so. They cannot possible have Tyrion in the dungeons for an entire season, nor can they drag out Tywin remaining in charge for nearly an entire season after Joffrey's death. None of the Lannister would have anything to do in that season if they would try to do this. I don't see any need to put all that much episodes between the Purple Wedding and Tywin's death. Which is why I still hope to get Joff's death in episode 4 of season 4.

Well I agree entirely with the first part of your post, so nothing to say there.

As to the PW. I've done several projections of a a S4 that follows up a PW in S3 E10 and I (obviously as they're my projections.) feel that it can be done. Keep in mind that there is plenty of potential material going on in KL besides Tyrion's trial. Jaime and Cersei are falling out, the Tyrells are exerting power over Tommen and Oberyn will be at court, possibly sparring with Mace. This is the case regardless of whether the PW is in late S3 or early S4.

Well I agree entirely with the first part of your post, so nothing to say there.

As to the PW. I've done several projections of a a S4 that follows up a PW in S3 E10 and I (obviously as they're my projections.) feel that it can be done. Keep in mind that there is plenty of potential material going on in KL besides Tyrion's trial. Jaime and Cersei are falling out, the Tyrells are exerting power over Tommen and Oberyn will be at court, possibly sparring with Mace. This is the case regardless of whether the PW is in late S3 or early S4.

i find it quite difficult to comprehend that in this thread you are advocating moving the PW to episode 10, which would leave Tyrion in prison for the majority of a season - but in the Books 4/5 thread you are wanting the showrunners to press fast forward on Tyrion's storyline?

It is clear from how this season has been set up, that the major story in King's Landing is going to be about Margaery exerting her influence on Joffrey. We agreed on this up-thread. The Tyrells have been firmly established over these two episodes - which is very important.

I think that the big turning point in Episode 10 will be that Margaery cannot control Joffrey's behaviour after the Red Wedding regarding Sansa. I think that she will see that he could turn on her, which will then lead to setting up the PW in the next season.

The PW is a big event leading to a climax at the end of the novel - the power shift and Tyrion leaving King's Landing. it doesn't work well as a climax in itself.

i find it quite difficult to comprehend that in this thread you are advocating moving the PW to episode 10, which would leave Tyrion in prison for the majority of a season - but in the Books 4/5 thread you are wanting the showrunners to press fast forward on Tyrion's storyline?

Yes, because each season and subplot must be taken on an individual basis. Tyrion's ADWD arc needs to be sped up I think so that we can finish of S5 with the battle of fire. The situation is quite different.

It is clear from how this season has been set up, that the major story in King's Landing is going to be about Margaery exerting her influence on Joffrey. We agreed on this up-thread. The Tyrells have been firmly established over these two episodes - which is very important.

I think that the big turning point in Episode 10 will be that Margaery cannot control Joffrey's behaviour after the Red Wedding regarding Sansa. I think that she will see that he could turn on her, which will then lead to setting up the PW in the next season.

So wouldn't the perfect climax for that be the PW?

The PW is a big event leading to a climax at the end of the novel - the power shift and Tyrion leaving King's Landing. it doesn't work well as a climax in itself.

Yes it does. Every thing in KL builds up to it. It's simply a climax which also creates new avenues for the story to go down which makes sense because it's part way through a very long series.

And honestly given how the forum is divided pretty much evenly on the matter I think that we can assume the show only fans would be fine with either option and wouldn't miss the other one. My main problem now is that D+D don't seem to be pacing Kings Landing very well imo. Maybe I should have named this thread "the pacing in Kings Landing." to avoid turning this into another PW thread.

Yes, because each season and subplot must be taken on an individual basis. Tyrion's ADWD arc needs to be sped up I think so that we can finish of S5 with the battle of fire. The situation is quite different.

Definitely. You could easily cut 50% of everything Tyrion does without losing anything important (the Greyscale men, many of the Pentos scenes), and allow the climax of the season to take place too as an added bonus.

Yes it does. Every thing in KL builds up to it. It's simply a climax which also creates new avenues for the story to go down which makes sense because it's part way through a very long series.

Joffrey's death doesn't have a huge impact on the political layout of King's Landing. It provides the vehicle for Tyrion and Sansa's stories through the second half of ASOS.

It is not as game changing as the Red Wedding because the Lannisters have Tommen as a back up. There is still a King on the Iron Throne, he is still a Lannister.

The real change, which is felt all the way through the books (nearly every character arc discusses it at some point) is the death of Tywin Lannister. His death is a major event and is much more important than Joffrey's - both in terms of character development and plot movement. After Joffrey's death, the momentum is building to Tyrion's death or Tyrion's revenge.

Very few people will actually care about Joff's death when it looks like Tyrion is going to go down for it. It is instantly satisfying but has massive repercussions. They shouldn't move it out of context but putting a years gap between the event and the repercussions.

. My main problem now is that D+D don't seem to be pacing Kings Landing very well imo. Maybe I should have named this thread "the pacing in Kings Landing." to avoid turning this into another PW thread.

This was always going to happen when you are implying that the KL has been deliberately stalled to ensure that the PW is not in the season.

Though when you compare the opening episodes of Season 2, 'The North Remembers' and 'The Nightlands' to the opening episodes of season 3, I don't think that your argument really stand up.

Episode 2.01 - 'The North Remembers'::

- Tyrion arrives in KL and interrupts Joffrey's birthday celebrations. (Joff is being cruel - something that was established at the end of S1 when he showed Sansa poor dead Ned + removing Marillion's tongue.)

- Cersei gives Tyrion an exposition recap of the climax of S1. (Granted I love this scene).

- Shae and Tyrion settle into the Tower of the Hand. ("We have come to a dangerous place.")

- Cersei and Littlefinger have their tete-a-tete regarding power.

- Cersei and Joffrey clash in the Throne room.

- Robert's bastards are murdered. (Really amazing sequence).

Episode 2.02 - 'The Nightlands':

- Varys/Tyrion relationship is established.

- Cersei refuses Robb's peace terms.

- Tyrion exiles Janos Slynt to the Wall.

- Cersei reveals that she didn't order the murder of Robert's bastards and Joffrey did.

Looking at those two episodes, we see that Tyrion establishes himself in King's Landing and firmly in power. Cersei loses control of Joffrey again. The scene between Cersei and Littlefinger doesn't really go anywhere. The friendship between Varys and Tyrion is established too.

Compare that to this season. We are introduced (properly) to a whole new set of characters, the Tyrells. Ones that don't have a lot of power because they are women. We see Margaery deftly playing the game - with the orphans and later with Joffrey. We see the start of a friendship between Margaery and Sansa. Margaery has already manipulated Joffrey (the first time anyone has managed to do this since the beginning of the show). The rivalry between Cersei and Margaery is established. As well as the whole thing with Ros/Littlefinger/Sansa/Shae. Tyrion knows he won't receive his birthright and cracks are showing in his relationship with Shae.

Compared to S2, the S3 KL arc seems to be looking forward in these first two episodes rather than backwards.

Joffrey's death doesn't have a huge impact on the political layout of King's Landing. It provides the vehicle for Tyrion and Sansa's stories through the second half of ASOS.

It is not as game changing as the Red Wedding because the Lannisters have Tommen as a back up. There is still a King on the Iron Throne, he is still a Lannister.

The real change, which is felt all the way through the books (nearly every character arc discusses it at some point) is the death of Tywin Lannister. His death is a major event and is much more important than Joffrey's - both in terms of character development and plot movement. After Joffrey's death, the momentum is building to Tyrion's death or Tyrion's revenge.

Very few people will actually care about Joff's death when it looks like Tyrion is going to go down for it. It is instantly satisfying but has massive repercussions. They shouldn't move it out of context but putting a years gap between the event and the repercussions.

When analysed more deeply, Joffrey's death doesn't change much, but that doesn't mean it's not a dramatic cathartic event which would make for a very exciting finale whilst also opening up new plots. It is also when all the plotting in KL comes to a head, capping off the rivalry with Tyrion and Cersei, the Tyrell's gaining power, LF's scheming. It all comes together in this scene which is why I think it would have made an excellent climax.

This was always going to happen when you are implying that the KL has been deliberately stalled to ensure that the PW is not in the season.

Which is why I'm wondering if I should really have bought that up. It's a concern of mine but really it's not so important to me what was going through D+D's mind (which we can't really know short of them telling us.) but what the result is. I guess I should have focused on that.

Though when you compare the opening episodes of Season 2, 'The North Remembers' and 'The Nightlands' to the opening episodes of season 3, I don't think that your argument really stand up.

Episode 2.01 - 'The North Remembers'::

- Tyrion arrives in KL and interrupts Joffrey's birthday celebrations. (Joff is being cruel - something that was established at the end of S1 when he showed Sansa poor dead Ned + removing Marillion's tongue.)

- Cersei gives Tyrion an exposition recap of the climax of S1. (Granted I love this scene).

- Shae and Tyrion settle into the Tower of the Hand. ("We have come to a dangerous place.")

- Cersei and Littlefinger have their tete-a-tete regarding power.

- Cersei and Joffrey clash in the Throne room.

- Robert's bastards are murdered. (Really amazing sequence).

Episode 2.02 - 'The Nightlands':

- Varys/Tyrion relationship is established.

- Cersei refuses Robb's peace terms.

- Tyrion exiles Janos Slynt to the Wall.

- Cersei reveals that she didn't order the murder of Robert's bastards and Joffrey did.

Looking at those two episodes, we see that Tyrion establishes himself in King's Landing and firmly in power. Cersei loses control of Joffrey again. The scene between Cersei and Littlefinger doesn't really go anywhere. The friendship between Varys and Tyrion is established too.

To me those scenes are all much more important and move the plot along more than the S3 scenes. The only scene where I would agree with you and say it's pointless is the LF/Cersei scene though you could argue it sets up the power theme for the entire season. I would argue it's stupid but there we are.

All the other scenes are meaningful because they establish the dynamics that weren't there in S1. Now that we're much further into the show, most of the dynamics (Tyrion/Shae, Tyrion/Varys Joffrey/Cersei not getting on) have already been long established. We don't need scenes reestablishing them.

Compare that to this season. We are introduced (properly) to a whole new set of characters, the Tyrells. Ones that don't have a lot of power because they are women. We see Margaery deftly playing the game - with the orphans and later with Joffrey. We see the start of a friendship between Margaery and Sansa. Margaery has already manipulated Joffrey (the first time anyone has managed to do this since the beginning of the show). The rivalry between Cersei and Margaery is established. As well as the whole thing with Ros/Littlefinger/Sansa/Shae. Tyrion knows he won't receive his birthright and cracks are showing in his relationship with Shae.

Compared to S2, the S3 KL arc seems to be looking forward in these first two episodes rather than backwards.

I'd say that with the exception of Olenna we've already been thoroughly introduced to the Tyrells. We got to know Margaery well in season 2 even if she wasn't affecting the plot too much, and Loras has been developed as far back as season 1. And as I say, I thought that the Olenna scene was good, probably the best of the episode. So we're in agreement there.

My complaint is mainly with episode 2 in case that wasn't made clear previously. And by episode 2, the rivalry between Cersei and Margaery has already been established, Marg is already starting to exert control over Joff, and we most certainly know that LF is up to know good with Sansa and that Shae is Sansa's BFF/ madly in love with Tyrion. Every single scene in KL E2 is a repeat of one of these. Now obviously each character dynamic must be touched on multiple times to be effective, but we're seeing very little progression in these dynamics with each scene. You can argue that this makes the show subtle and intelligent, but I don't think we have time for these baby steps. I'm always open to exceptions but my general preference in fiction is "cut to the chase."

Archived