Steady Ratings for Game of Thrones

Westeros

Game of Thrones is HBO’s biggest hit since The Sopranos :

Josef Adalian of Vulture is reporting figures from HBO which show that Game of Thrones is averaging 13.6 million viewers per episode. This is higher than True Blood‘s high of 13.0 million and just below The Sopranos‘ 14.4 million

http://winteriscoming.net/2013/06/game-of-thrones-is-hbos-biggest-hit-since-the-sopranos/

[EDIT] I see I was beaten to the punch :).

In any case, cheers to HBO, D&D, and of course GRRM on the absolute monster GoT has become. I always thought the potential was there but it is surreal to see it actually happening.

So a slight increase over E9, but not much. I suppose there were lots of people who needed more than a week to process the red wedding and will watch E10 on demand over the next few weeks.

Actually if they wanted everyone to watch E10 they should have cut the Red Wedding in half and ended the show with the crossbowmen firing at Robb: Catelyn looks at Bolton's Chainmail, slaps him, yells "Robb!". Cut to crossbows taking aim at...someone end of episode. Episode 10, open with Cately yelling "Robb", crossbows aiming...roll rest of scene... Catelyn's throat gets cut, roll opening credits.

Episode 9 wasn't a cliffhanger so there's wasn't much to draw people into watching the first airing of E10.

• 2 weeks later...

Actually if they wanted everyone to watch E10 they should have cut the Red Wedding in half and ended the show with the crossbowmen firing at Robb: Catelyn looks at Bolton's Chainmail, slaps him, yells "Robb!". Cut to crossbows taking aim at...someone end of episode. Episode 10, open with Cately yelling "Robb", crossbows aiming...roll rest of scene... Catelyn's throat gets cut, roll opening credits.

I hope you are joking there ...

I suspect that, while the buzz around the RW may have brought in many new viewers, just this once a sizeable portion of the audience made good on their threat to stop watching the show. Whether for good remains to be seen when season 4 starts. I suspect it was only temporary. It WAS bloody hard to take, even for me who does not get really invested in tv characters and who has read the books many times.

Archived