Steady Ratings for Game of Thrones

Westeros

Apparently

The battle for Castle Black is not going to be in the show. According to an interview with Ciaran hinds, the raiding party returns to him looking dejected. Its very possible that it will be merged with the larger battle for the wall. They could have the wildings break through the gate for example, and then have the events with the burning stairs. I think its also safe to say that Ygritte wont die this season.

That's very surprising. That event would give the final episode some oomph.

Otherwise what happens now? Jon simply shows up at Castle Black? Seems anticlimactic. Jon's leadership at the battle is one of the things that makes him a viable candidate to replace Mormont. Without that, it's going to be very hard for them to sell Jon getting the job.

5 million? I'm not really sure about that. The small growth between season 2 and 3 was originally thought to be heavily influenced by the easter holidays and the walking dead season final. But now that the numbers for episode 2 are published it looks like the growth inbetween season 2 and 3 was really not that significant. For me it looks like the series finally peaked and I don't think that the numbers for the initial broadcast will rise much more during the season.

Episode four (one of the best in the series, by nearly all accounts) hits 4.87 million on its initial airing...

http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/a-chance.gif

And that usually indicates a rise is imminent for the subsequent episode, so...

http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/3f9870b2da028cc9e39c69ac4f2c533e_original.gif

It has been reported that he does not get a choice. Of course, if he complained about the episode that he had been assigned, probably it would be changed. But he doesn't get to choose.

Sill haven't seen a link to show it's been "reported". It's been interpreted. George is clearly assigned an episode to write, but whether he has any input into what he is assigned is a mystery.

Don't know why I even bother, nobody cares whether anything is actually factual or conjecture.

That's very surprising. That event would give the final episode some oomph.

Otherwise what happens now? Jon simply shows up at Castle Black? Seems anticlimactic. Jon's leadership at the battle is one of the things that makes him a viable candidate to replace Mormont. Without that, it's going to be very hard for them to sell Jon getting the job.

We always knew the battle would not be shown this season - filming at Castle Black only took place for one day. I'm very surprised to hear that there will definitely be no battle, though... What are they going to do at the Wall next season? Wait around for a battle to take place?

And like you said - why would anyone elect Jon as the leader of the Night's Watch now? In the show he's a complete idiot with no achievements.

I'd always assumed, once we knew that we weren't going to see the first Battle at (behind) the Wall, and once the Ciaran quote came out that he shows up at the end to greet the raiding party north of the Wall, that Jon would return back to find the others had beat him back to the Wall and the battle was concluded (off-screen).

If they just have the raiders give up once Jon escapes them, that would be unbearably stupid.

I'd always assumed, once we knew that we weren't going to see the first Battle at (behind) the Wall, and once the Ciaran quote came out that he shows up at the end to greet the raiding party north of the Wall, that Jon would return back to find the others had beat him back to the Wall and the battle was concluded (off-screen).

If they just have the raiders give up once Jon escapes them, that would be unbearably stupid.

It wouldn't be that stupid. They're only about 20 men, and if they lose the element of surprise than they have far less chance of being able to successfully take Castle Black. Also, if during his escape at Queenscrown Jon kills a couple of Raiders like he does in the books, then it definitely would be a bad idea to attack castle black. It makes sense from a tactical point of view. It would be disappointing, but not stupid.

It wouldn't be that stupid. They're only about 20 men, and if they lose the element of surprise than they have far less chance of being able to successfully take Castle Black. Also, if during his escape at Queenscrown Jon kills a couple of Raiders like he does in the books, then it definitely would be a bad idea to attack castle black. It makes sense from a tactical point of view. It would be disappointing, but not stupid.

Well yes, once they cut the raiding party down to 20 men, and lose the element of surprise, attacking CB is a futile suicide mission. Quite how they get Jon to be a hero Sam can convince people to vote for will be interesting to see. I do hope they don't diminish Stannis even further by having him arrive at the Wall AFTER Jon has completely subdued the wildlings. But if the rumoured Stannis hate with D&D is true then I wouldn't be at all surprised if they completely gimped Stannis and Mel's role in saving the day at the Wall.

Grump if that happens.

That... makes no sense. Why would they beat the Night's Watch and then leave Castle Black? Surely they'd just open the gates and let the wildlings pass through?

That... makes no sense. Why would they beat the Night's Watch and then leave Castle Black? Surely they'd just open the gates and let the wildlings pass through?

I meant they would beat Jon back to the Wall, not beat the Night's Watch. I guess that isn't required though, Jon could still make it first and we could still not see the battle on-screen, just the mop-up. The Wildlings would lose (as in the book) but some survivors would break off and ... somehow get back. Yeah, that sounds implausible too. It's going to be interesting how they reconcile all of these changes to see how it ends up.

Since the raiding party is only made of 20 mens, AND if Jon (with the help of summer and maybe Shaggydog) kills a few wildlings and return to Castle Black, it make complete sense to get back and re-united with Mance Rayder's army. Specially if Jon kills Orell before leaving (wich is what I'm expecting) that way Tormund's mens don't have a chance to see Mance signal. They don't have the mens, they lose the element of surprise, and they can't see if Mance is close to synchronize the attack (as it seems is the plan in the show)

As for Jon being "the hero" he can have his chance at the main battle, before Stannis arrive. It was Sam who fools the NW to elect Jon, he doesn't need to gain everyone's respect, just stop being the idiot he is right now in the show lol.

Also, considering how much D and D hate Stannis, I won't be surprised if Dany shows up and save the day at the Wall, goodbye Meereenese knot and Jon/Dany shippers will have their wish granted :rofl:

Great news in regard to the latest ratings. From what I can tell, the highest rated episode of True Blood had 5.53 million viewers on initial airing. I'm assuming that is the highest rated original show in HBO history that is not The Sopranos. Here's hoping that Game of Thrones can top that number in its season finale this year.

Great news in regard to the latest ratings. From what I can tell, the highest rated episode of True Blood had 5.53 million viewers on initial airing. I'm assuming that is the highest rated original show in HBO history that is not The Sopranos. Here's hoping that Game of Thrones can top that number in its season finale this year.

Look at the ratings for Sunday, GOT even knocked out the NBA Playoffs.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2013/04/23/sunday-cable-ratings-game-of-thrones-wins-night-nba-playoffs-real-housewives-of-atlanta-vikings-more/179182/

All the action stuff was awesome, but if not for the great character interactions (must be noted that GRRM gives props to D&D for the Hound/Bronn scene) the episode would have fallen as qualitatively flat as a Transformer's movie.

True.

Certainly I felt that The Pointy End was the best-written episode of Season 1.

And probably true.

I think the point was more that GRRM's episode in season 1 didn't have the "big moments" of the season. It was a fantastic episode and quite possibly my favourite, but it wasn't necessarily "big" compared to other episodes such as Baelor, Fire and Blood, and Blackwater.

And true again.

George is clearly assigned an episode to write, but whether he has any input into what he is assigned is a mystery.

Its a fair point but I really don't see GRRM making a big deal about what he is assigned. He knows D&D are running this show, so he isn't going to be making much in the way of requests.

Btw, where is this evidence that D&D hate Stannis? I haven't been paying a huge amount of attention to all the gossip. They did get a very good actor to play a guy they "hate".

I think people have worked out how the Jon storyline will end in S3.

We always knew that Tormund was almost certainly going to survive. Although, it will undermine Ygritte's storyline if she survives. She doesn't have a story once Jon leaves, so I wonder what D&D will do with her if they don't kill her in S3. Could just leave her with a couple of episodes in S4 I suppose. So, I haven't ruled her death out yet.

Regarding the battle...

My guess is that during the battle for the Wall they will have Jon lead the fight against the Wildlings in the tunnel instead of having him lead it from on top of the Wall. In a confined space like that I think they can manage to do some very intense battle scenes at minimal cost to the budget. Just have Jon lead 10-20 men of the Watch (the tunnel would be larger than it is in the books) in forming a shield wall to hold back a bunch of berserk Wildlings who've charged through the broken gate. I'd like to see Jon and his men kill a giant or two that Mance sends through as well, because that would be freaking awesome. They could basically just give Jon aspects of Donal Noye's story (except for the dying while killing said giant obviously). Just having him order people to shoot arrows down on the Wildlings would be a bit boring in contrast imo. And no leg injury so he can actually fight!

D&D pretty much confirmed that Stannis wouldn't show up until ep. 9 in an interview IIRC, so most of Jon's S4 arc would consist of the prolonged siege. Aside from the 2-3 battle scenes inside the tunnel, I think the rest of his story will revolve around him keeping morale up amongst the men and having conversations with Aemon during the lulls between battles. I think those two can talk about the things book Jon talked about with the Halfhand; lessons in leadership and such. This could make up for the way the show gutted Jon's relationship with the Halfhand in S2 in favor of focusing on Ygritte.

Janos Slynt would also show up and arrest Jon at some point of course. So I think there is plenty of material for Jon to have a pretty great arc in S4.

Enjoy these high ratings now. I have a feeling that Season 4 won't get as much viewership, thanks to disgruntled fans spreading the bad word and all of those memes. I don't doubt that the season will be good, or that people who became fans of the show regardless of the books will care, but there will certainly be some effect.

I have a feeling that Season 4 won't get as much viewership, thanks to disgruntled fans spreading the bad word and all of those memes.

Disgruntled from what? You know S4 is just the second half of aSoS right?

And most of the fans of the show haven't read the books.

Disgruntled from what? You know S4 is just the second half of aSoS right?

And most of the fans of the show haven't read the books.

I think AFFC likely will benefit from being brought to the screen. They can leave out filler and improve as needs be. Plus, I suspect seasons 5-6 will be combined AFFC and ADWD anyway.

And you just know one of those episodes- perhaps ending season 5- is going to be "The North Remembers". I suspect it will not suck.

Archived