Random thought on the identity of Ned Starks mother

RenlyIsNotRight

So after watching the newest episode of GoT I went back and reread some of Theons ADWD chapters, as the scenes with him at the Dreadfort revitalized my interest in that storyline. At a certain point in his conversations with Theon Roose talks about his late son Domeric, particularly his skill at horse riding, and a line about how he rode better than Lyanna Stark, who was "half a horse herself", struck me. Here are some thoughts I have...

Essentially, I'm wondering if perhaps the mother of at least Lyanna Stark if not Ned, Brandon, and Benjen as well, as a member of House Ryswell. Though Rooses' comment could be interpreted as just an expression that Lyanna was very fond of horses, its not uncommon for Westerosi to refer to peoples sigils as a means of describing them ("wolf", "lion", etc.). Rooses' son Domeric was also half Ryswell ("half a horse") and we know the house is known for horse breeding. Of course this doesn't necessarily mean Ned had the same mother - it's entirely possible Rickard could have took multiple wives as quite a few lords of Westeros seem to have - but if its true, this is likely his mother as well.

And what about Neds grandmother who was from the Flint mountain clan? From what we've seen, House Ryswell doesn't seem to be particularly powerful or important, but Rodrik Ryswell is described as an ambitious man. Perhaps at one time they would have been deemed as a suitable match for a mountain clan, but almost like a microcosm of Rickard Starks "Southron ambitions", Rodrik wants to advance his families standing within The North? Just something to think about.

So after watching the newest episode of GoT I went back and reread some of Theons ADWD chapters, as the scenes with him at the Dreadfort revitalized my interest in that storyline. At a certain point in his conversations with Theon Roose talks about his late son Domeric, particularly his skill at horse riding, and a line about how he rode better than Lyanna Stark, who was "half a horse herself", struck me. Here are some thoughts I have...

Essentially, I'm wondering if perhaps the mother of at least Lyanna Stark if not Ned, Brandon, and Benjen as well, as a member of House Ryswell. Though Rooses' comment could be interpreted as just an expression that Lyanna was very fond of horses, its not uncommon for Westerosi to refer to peoples sigils as a means of describing them ("wolf", "lion", etc.). Rooses' son Domeric was also half Ryswell ("half a horse") and we know the house is known for horse breeding. Of course this doesn't necessarily mean Ned had the same mother - it's entirely possible Rickard could have took multiple wives as quite a few lords of Westeros seem to have - but if its true, this is likely his mother as well.

And what about Neds grandmother who was from the Flint mountain clan? From what we've seen, House Ryswell doesn't seem to be particularly powerful or important, but Rodrik Ryswell is described as an ambitious man. Perhaps at one time they would have been deemed as a suitable match for a mountain clan, but almost like a microcosm of Rickard Starks "Southron ambitions", Rodrik wants to advance his families standing within The North? Just something to think about.

I like this line of thought. Maybe even Roose doesn't mean it that way, but GRRM is hinting us. Maybe not. But that's what we do - pick up on such things, and I think that's interesting at least. :cheers:

If I remember correctly, Ran commented that the identity of Ned's mother is interesting. Her being from House Ryswell is rather unremarkable, in my opinion. It's just one of the Northern houses.

If I remember correctly, Ran commented that the identity of Ned's mother is interesting. Her being from House Ryswell is rather unremarkable, in my opinion. It's just one of the Northern houses.

It could be interesting in how that information is key in revealing how Lady Dustin's hatred of the Starks is really a disguise and she is going to betray the Boltons.

Best Ned Starks mother theory out their !

It could be interesting in how that information is key in revealing how Lady Dustin's hatred of the Starks is really a disguise and she is going to betray the Boltons.

This is probably the most diverse way of Rooses downfall , and funnily enough , I think I like it best :smug:

I think the comment meant that we do not know anyhting about her and that is interesting. OTOH, Martin said, "I don't know did they ask Tolkien about Arragorn's mother".

Anyway, what do you expect to be signifficant, that she was a Targaryen Faceless Man? It's more than natural that she will be from "just one of the northern houses".

I've read some theories that Ned's mother might be from Skagos. It's not unlikely since there was a Skagosi rebellion some time in the past. Maybe Lord Rickard married this girl to secure alliance with that part of the North. Hence, Rickon's story arc that is happening in Skagos. What do you guys think about this theory? Is it possible in some way?

• 2 months later...

i had this same thought and was going to make my own thread but i will just comment here instead.

if she is a ryswell it makes sense. we know that lady dustin was born a ryswell and wanted to be a stark, and that is why she hates them. her tryst with brandon stark could have been her own feeble attempt to become a stark if another member from house ryswell pulled off the same thing. we know the four branches of the ryswells do not get along, so another ryswell marrying lord rickard would make the other 3 branches INSANELY jealous. we know lady barbrey is a proud woman and even comments that roose knows exactly how formidable she is, so it would not shock me in the least if her ambition was to climb at least as high as another ryswell woman of a different branch of the family.

I've read some theories that Ned's mother might be from Skagos. It's not unlikely since there was a Skagosi rebellion some time in the past. Maybe Lord Rickard married this girl to secure alliance with that part of the North. Hence, Rickon's story arc that is happening in Skagos. What do you guys think about this theory? Is it possible in some way?

this is my 2nd thought, maybe rickon told osha how his grandmother was from skagos and thats why she went there? id love if davos showed up and the whole island was already mobilized ready to feast on the flesh of stark enemy.

Archived