Most Precise ASOIAF Timeline in Existence

PrivateMajor

Reek III, Dance 32 begins 16 days after Wyman arrives from White Harbor. The distance between White Harbor and Barrowton is approximately 450 miles, given that Wyman marches at a ponderous pace, we should assume that he covered 15 miles per day, taking about 30 days. So, lets round 30 and 16 to 45 days from Davos IV, Dance 29, presumably the day before Wyman left White Harbor. Roose learns that Stannis has taken Deepwood Motte by Reek III, and Roose decides to march to Winterfell, suggesting that Roose learned of Stanniss capture at that point.

Fifteen miles is actually rather fast. Given the description of Manderly's train, I'd rather say eight miles per day. That's average for oxcarts.

So Val seems confident that she can find Tormund rather quickly. When Alys arrives, Jon is convinced that Val has arrived, but she hasn't.. So perhaps she's simply late in returning?

I've made a quick reread and I'm not drawing the same conclusions... Mully wakes Jon up and tells him a girl has been found. Just waking up, Jon assumes it's Val and seems surprised, not convinced. A little before, he thought that if the gods were good, Val would have found Tormund by now. To me he thinks that Val is on schedule, not late.

The Wayward Bride, Dance 26 spans part of two days, from the evening before Stanniss attack until the following morning, when Ashas party is taken. That evening, Asha received word from Ramsay at Barrowton that Moat Cailin had been taken. Assuming that Ramsay sent the letter after arriving at Barrowton, The Wayward Bride follows the end of Reek II, Dance 20 by approximately 15 days (approximately 300 mile march from Moat Cailin to Barrowton) and two days for the raven. Add another five days to mark from the beginning of Reek II, Dance 20. Note that Wyman did not sign the letter with the other northern lords, so we should assume that he has not yet arrived from White Harbor. Stannis now knows that Roose is at Barrowton.

In Davos IV, Dance 29, Robett knows that Stannis has captured Deepwood Motte. So, lets say Stannis notified White Harbor of his success by raven, and that Davos IV follows the beginning of The Wayward Bride by three days.

Reek III, Dance 32 begins 16 days after Wyman arrives from White Harbor. The distance between White Harbor and Barrowton is approximately 450 miles, given that Wyman marches at a ponderous pace, we should assume that he covered 15 miles per day, taking about 30 days. So, lets round 30 and 16 to 45 days from Davos IV, Dance 29, presumably the day before Wyman left White Harbor. Roose learns that Stannis has taken Deepwood Motte by Reek III, and Roose decides to march to Winterfell, suggesting that Roose learned of Stanniss capture at that point.

In Jon VII, Dance 35, Jon receives raven from Stannis that he will march on Winterfell. Assuming two days for the raven, The Kings Prize, Dance 42 began 2 days before Jon VII.

So, we have to have approximately 48 days between The Wayward Bride, Dance 46 and the beginning of Stannis march to Winterfell in the Kings Prize, Dance 42.

Jon 7 cannot take place 2 days after the start of Dance 42, as you placed Jon 9 4 days after the start of Dance 42... And Selyse needs to travel from Eastwatch to CB after Jon 8, and arrives only in Jon 9

I've made a quick reread and I'm not drawing the same conclusions... Mully wakes Jon up and tells him a girl has been found. Just waking up, Jon assumes it's Val and seems surprised, not convinced. A little before, he thought that if the gods were good, Val would have found Tormund by now. To me he thinks that Val is on schedule, not late.

Ok, but if he thinks that this would be on time, then Val indeed is late, because Val only arrives after Alys' wedding, which still has to be arranged at this point.

Ok, but if he thinks that this would be on time, then Val indeed is late, because Val only arrives after Alys' wedding, which still has to be arranged at this point.

Or he thought that Val would have been early if it was her, that's what makes him surprised :cool4:

Edit : if Val estimated it would take her three weeks to get Tormund back, Jon thinking she must have found him places Jon IX in the second half of the period, for example two weeks after Jon VIII. That leaves one week for the wedding to be prepared.

Jon 7 cannot take place 2 days after the start of Dance 42, as you placed Jon 9 4 days after the start of Dance 42... And Selyse needs to travel from Eastwatch to CB after Jon 8, and arrives only in Jon 9

God d@$n it. I knew I shoulda saved that speadsheet. Alright gimme a minute...

At this point, I think her timeline is simply out of wack.

I think this is due to the issue of having little time and kids that need fast training. Bran's chapter is similar - there are clues to point us (descriptions of the Moon) to the fact that quite a few weeks passed.

The date for Sansa running to Cersei should be 10/24/298 as that happened the same day that Robert died, Arya escaped and Ned was betrayed. thanks!

Oh, and tremendous work! Thank you all who work on this great project.

:bowdown: :bowdown:

I'm trying to date the first half of the northern POVs in Dance and I came across this wee issue...

In Jon I, Dance 3 we learn that it will take half a year to make the Nightfort fit for habitation.

In Jon IX, Dance 44 Jon tells Selyse that the builders had done all they could to make the Nightfort ready to receive her.

So, do we need to put six months between Jon I, Dance 3 and Jon IX, Dance 44?

I'm trying to date the first half of the northern POVs in Dance and I came across this wee issue...

In Jon I, Dance 3 we learn that it will take half a year to make the Nightfort fit for habitation.

In Jon IX, Dance 44 Jon tells Selyse that the builders had done all they could to make the Nightfort ready to receive her.

5 months, perhaps, doesn't have to be 6 exactly. The second half of the northern POVs (from 41 upwards) cannot take place any earlier. Perhaps slightly later?

Just a heads up. Jon 3 syncs with Tywins death, but to make the Myrcella dates fit, I am going to need to move that around as well. Not exactly certain how, though..but preferably, have it take place later.

I think Jon does not care that much about the comfort of Selyse, so Nightfort might not be much fit for habitation in Dance 44.

I think Jon does not care that much about the comfort of Selyse, so Nightfort might not be much fit for habitation in Dance 44.

No he says it's ready to receive her, and her attendants apparently, but that most of castle is still in ruins.

5 months, perhaps, doesn't have to be 6 exactly. The second half of the northern POVs (from 41 upwards) cannot take place any earlier. Perhaps slightly later?

Just a heads up. Jon 3 syncs with Tywins death, but to make the Myrcella dates fit, I am going to need to move that around as well. Not exactly certain how, though..but preferably, have it take place later.

I dated rhe other chapters from The Wayward Bride, assuming it was dated correctly. So as long as you hold the relative space between that and the other norther POVs after it, you change the dates.

I found this timeline through reddit and I like it.

I do have a few questions.

Couldn't Bran's coma chapter be moved to between Ned 3 and Catelyn 4? It mentions him seeing Ned before the King and I agree it's when he's pleading for Lady while Catelyn is at sea. Yet it's listed after the Catelyn chapter, when she's arrived in King's Landing.

Second, could Dany 1 & 2 be pushed back to between Catelyn 1 and Ned 1? I honestly feel putting them after the Prologue and before Bran 1 is really too far ahead. Robert was in Winterfell for around a month; it took about 6 weeks, at least, to make to journey back to KL. The rider reaches them at least 8 days out from Winterfell in the Barrowlands, and I think a lone rider might have been able to cover a considerable distance in only half the time. Even factoring in for adverse weather, I don't see it taking more than 4 weeks for Jorah's letter to reach KL, and I believe he would have written it and entrusted it to be sent before he left Pentos the day after the wedding.

Second, could Dany 1 & 2 be pushed back to between Catelyn 1 and Ned 1? I honestly feel putting them after the Prologue and before Bran 1 is really too far ahead. Robert was in Winterfell for around a month; it took about 6 weeks, at least, to make to journey back to KL. The rider reaches them at least 8 days out from Winterfell in the Barrowlands, and I think a lone rider might have been able to cover a considerable distance in only half the time. Even factoring in for adverse weather, I don't see it taking more than 4 weeks for Jorah's letter to reach KL, and I believe he would have written it and entrusted it to be sent before he left Pentos the day after the wedding.

You have to consider two things : the nine months of Dany's pregnancy, and the twelve months between Joffrey's 12th nameday, one fortnight before Jon Arryn dies, and his 13th nameday, when Tyrion arrives in King's Landing. I agree with the timeline there's roughly one month between Dany giving birth and the 13th nameday (Dany stays unconscious then wakes up, kills Drogo and buries him the night the comet appears. Tyrion 9 is close to Bran 7 with the comet visible, then it gets Tyrion a fortnight to get from the Inn at the Crossroads to King's Landing). That places Dany getting pregnant two months after the 12th nameday. The timeline gives three months for the khalasar to go from Pentos to the Dothraki Sea, that seems quite long to me, but even by shortening the period by half, that would place Dany's wedding a fortnight after the 12th nameday, so by the time of Jon Arryn's death. If Jorah sends the letter before leaving Pentos, and it takes one week to sail to King's Landing, then Varys should have received it before Robert leaves for Winterfell, that makes me think that Varys delayed before letting Robert know that Dany did wed.

You have to consider two things : the nine months of Dany's pregnancy, and the twelve months between Joffrey's 12th nameday, one fortnight before Jon Arryn dies, and his 13th nameday, when Tyrion arrives in King's Landing. I agree with the timeline there's roughly one month between Dany giving birth and the 13th nameday (Dany stays unconscious then wakes up, kills Drogo and buries him the night the comet appears. Tyrion 9 is close to Bran 7 with the comet visible, then it gets Tyrion a fortnight to get from the Inn at the Crossroads to King's Landing). That places Dany getting pregnant two months after the 12th nameday. The timeline gives three months for the khalasar to go from Pentos to the Dothraki Sea, that seems quite long to me, but even by shortening the period by half, that would place Dany's wedding a fortnight after the 12th nameday, so by the time of Jon Arryn's death. If Jorah sends the letter before leaving Pentos, and it takes one week to sail to King's Landing, then Varys should have received it before Robert leaves for Winterfell, that makes me think that Varys delayed before letting Robert know that Dany did wed.

Makes sense.

Concerning the second battle of Riverrun, at the end of AGOT. The timeline has Catelyn 11 six days before Tyrion 9, and that's a problem, because in Catelyn 11, Riverrun knows Tywin has crossed the Trident and is making for Harrenhal, a decision Tywin takes in Tyrion 9.

But that raises another problem. The timeline has Catelyn and Robb enter Riverrun for the first time the day after the battle, that seems logical. But Tywin learns Jaime has been taken and Riverrun lost through a rider. That means a man rides from Riverrun to the Inn at the Crossroads, then Tywin marches for Harrenhal and word of that comes back to Riverrun before Catelyn and Robb come into the castle ?! At first glance it will need a delay of at least four days, but why would Catelyn and Robb wait four days before going into the castle ? On the other side the delay allows the other riverlords to come to Riverrun for the war council. What do you think ?

Concerning the second battle of Riverrun, at the end of AGOT. The timeline has Catelyn 11 six days before Tyrion 9, and that's a problem, because in Catelyn 11, Riverrun knows Tywin has crossed the Trident and is making for Harrenhal, a decision Tywin takes in Tyrion 9.

But that raises another problem. The timeline has Catelyn and Robb enter Riverrun for the first time the day after the battle, that seems logical. But Tywin learns Jaime has been taken and Riverrun lost through a rider. That means a man rides from Riverrun to the Inn at the Crossroads, then Tywin marches for Harrenhal and word of that comes back to Riverrun before Catelyn and Robb come into the castle ?! At first glance it will need a delay of at least four days, but why would Catelyn and Robb wait four days before going into the castle ? On the other side the delay allows the other riverlords to come to Riverrun for the war council. What do you think ?

Edit : could the learning of Ned's death be the cause ?

Archived