New Characters of Season 3

Westeros

This long video from HBO provides a good overview of the many new characters introduced this season, along with interview excerpts with the actors, the producers, and George R.R. Martin:

Poor Edmure gets such a hiding in this video! Can’t catch a break, it seems…

Visit the Site!

I do worry they're going to do something drastic with Melisandre and Gendry but if it's just a quick take him captive and then Davos ships him back to the riverlands then I can deal with that. But please no shadowbabies, and no making Thoros complicit with whatever Melisandre wants to do.

Also it sure seems like they're making Edmure completely unsympathetic. I know he messes up a lot in the books but it seems they're turning him into a complete loser. Another note, are they not giving Brynden his first name? I guess they don't want confusion with Brandon and Bloodraven when he's introduced.

I do worry they're going to do something drastic with Melisandre and Gendry but if it's just a quick take him captive and then Davos ships him back to the riverlands then I can deal with that. But please no shadowbabies, and no making Thoros complicit with whatever Melisandre wants to do.

That would be awful, but I really don't think they're going that way. As far as Thoros and Melisandre I am getting the impression that they are more setting them up as adversarial or at least at odds. I really like the idea that we're going to see two Red Priests that don't have similar views interacting, although I have my fingers crossed it doesn't end up sucking. I think the potential is there for it to be good.

Also it sure seems like they're making Edmure completely unsympathetic. I know he messes up a lot in the books but it seems they're turning him into a complete loser. Another note, are they not giving Brynden his first name? I guess they don't want confusion with Brandon and Bloodraven when he's introduced.

They don't have a lot of time to introduce a more complex Edmure... but I hope it's not all as skewed as the clips make it seem. As far as Brynden goes he does mention that Blackfish isn't really his first name but it is rarely used, so I hope we will at least hear a mention that his name is actually Brynden. In particular I can't imagine Cat calling him "Blackfish" although I could see her just using "Uncle"... guess we will see.

This whole Melisandre in a scene with Thoros and Beric is really throwing me. What?

Also, Edmure is shown as a loser because he is a loser. Even his one great "victory" in the field ended up being a blunder that directly resulted in Tywin being able to move to King's Landing rather than caught in Robb's trap, which led to Tywin being at King's Landing to write to Frey and make the deal that would result in the Red Wedding.

This whole Melisandre in a scene with Thoros and Beric is really throwing me. What?

Also, Edmure is shown as a loser because he is a loser. Even his one great "victory" in the field ended up being a blunder that directly resulted in Tywin being able to move to King's Landing rather than caught in Robb's trap, which led to Tywin being at King's Landing to write to Frey and make the deal that would result in the Red Wedding.

Yeah, but Robb was pretty stupid there too. Why couldn't he just tell Edmure his plan? Was Edmure just meant to read Robb's mind?

I agree that Edmure is pretty much a loser. Even in his scene with Jaime he came off as pathetic.

Owwwwww what have you done to my Floppy Fish? I love the actor playing him though, so he could do a good job, hoping he's a little more complex.

And Jojen, I always figured it was pronounced yo-en. So everytime they say Joe-Jen it throws me out of it slightly.

It's true Edmure is a loser in the books but he was at least a sympathetic loser, almost comical I always thought. Here he just likes he'll be annoying, though I guess plenty found him annoying in the books too. I think the actor looks too old and manly, so his sulkyness from what I saw in the preview didn't come off so well.

Edmure isn't really that much of a loser, he's more representative of a 'real world' person I feel. Just that he's surrounded by Robb and Blackfish who are very capable, and judged very much by his big sister (who admits she's very hard on him.)

I'd much rather go to a pub with Edmure than most of the fan favourites.

Strange, HBO only uploaded it today yet it was already on youtube yesterday. I've actually posted it here yesterday about the whole Thoros-Melisandre relation that is shown in the video clips. However it's in the GoT board and still pending approval :P

Well yeah they will need to put some real effort in it if Edmure has to look like worse looser than show Robb and especially show Jon.

No one can look dorkier than show Jon they just can't. Show Robb isn't too bad, the Talisa story being the exception.

Strange, HBO only uploaded it today yet it was already on youtube yesterday. I've actually posted it here yesterday about the whole Thoros-Melisandre relation that is shown in the video clips. However it's in the GoT board and still pending approval :P

I love Mel's reaction to Beric.

Yeah, they destroyed his character... he was the high lord who cared the most about his people, probably even more then Doran Martell. He was a good man, even if he wasn't the best military leader. So what?? that doesn't make him a tool.

And I think you missed something. Thoros of Myr is supposedly extremely devout, after his miracle with Beric. I think it's kind of obvious, that Mel will come, and tell him it's for the greater good... and he will give her Gendry. We'll have to wait and see.

Archived