Scott Lynch, The Lies of Locke Lamora

Olaf

GRRM seems to think so.

Jay Tomio has been talking this up for -- decades, maybe. In fact, everyone that has read it seems to love it.

At both Vericon and Boskone, GRRM mentioned that it was wonderful, and I quote: "Just the sort of book I love to read."

Right now, my only fear is that my expectations for this book are so high that the actual book can only disappoint.

It is a first novel after all.

I heard that ARCs for this book are changing hands for high sums on ebay already. When I searched ebay for an ARC, I did not even find one offered. Either people are holding on to them, or they change hands fast!

From hearing all the pre-publishing hype, I decided I'd go and pick up an ARC from ebay. Got it for a decent price, and should be here on Tuesday. I got a pretty good deal on it at $15 US, but I've watched others go for double that (and quickly).

Woah, it's a much-hyped fantasy novel that is actually getting a British edition! Hey, and the sequel will follow only 7 months later.

Will definitely be picking a copy of this up. Victor Gollancz seems to be picking up its act. They've also published The Blade Itself by Joe Abercrombie which has picked up some great reviews as well, although that sounds a bit more traditional fantasy ("Richard Mogan meets Tad Williams," allegedly). Perhaps they've decided they've rested on the laurels of publishing Terry Pratchett and the Fantasy & SF Masterworks collections for long enough.

Actually, as far as I know/heard, Gollancz contracted the novel before Bantam after reading excerpts of it in Lynch's webblog.. Although Lynch is an American, his primary publisher is Gollancz.

Actually, when Parris was recommending Abraham and WJ Williams, I was thinking that there was another book GRRM had really enjoyed recently and I couldn't think of what it was to ask her about. Naturally, it was Lies. D'oh!

I'm very excited to see how others will take to the story!

Read it like 8 months ago - and completely fell in love with the story. It's a book that is a bit different that other recent debuts I have been excited about like Hal Duncan's Vellum, or Clarke's Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell, in that this is something of a bit of a throwback to fans of early 90 and 80's fantasy (you can tell Lynch is a fan of the genre), but written in such a devilishly fashoinable manner it's hard for me to believe anyone would not like it. That's not to say that I think everyone will love it, but it would be hard for me to imagaine a fan of any variety of fantasy not enjoying the read, even more so than a book that came ut last year, Paul Park's Princess of Roumania (which is still getting slept on, even after Cheney lauded it). It's the start of a great new series, and tells a self-contained story. It can legitimately claim to be a fun book that doesn't also carry the weight of being badly written.

Locke Lamora is one of my favorite characters in fantasy already.

Actually, as far as I know/heard, Gollancz contracted the novel before Bantam after reading excerpts of it in Lynch's webblog.. Although Lynch is an American, his primary publisher is Gollancz.

Yea, that's true, and he got picked up by them through the publisher reading excerpts of the story online.

Oh, in case anybody didn't see it, we are giving away a signed copy of The Lies of Locke Lamora next month.

("Richard Mogan meets Tad Williams," allegedly).

I'm just trying to guess what they mean by that. It does make the book sound like it will it have long periods of unnecessarily detailed tedium interspersed with fast-moving bouts of visceral action.

There really is no wasted pages, the pace Lynch sets is perhaps the best part of the book.

How does it compare to ASOIAF?

That would depend on how one feels about the series it self.

It's not epic fantasy it's not medievil, and it's written by an author who doesn't have almost 30 years of experience, and it tells a self contained story.

I'll definately be getting a copy of this. I just hope it doesn't take ages to come out in Australia.

I also have the US hardcover on pre-order, but I will probably also get the UK trade paperback from Gollancz as a reading copy.

Doesn't Australia get the UK editions?

I know that HarperCollins UK usually ships their trade paperbacks to the Commenwealth contries (and mainland Europe). But I don't know if Gollancz is doing that as well.

It's quite sizeable isn't it, if it really is over 500 pages in HC. Usually. lighter, more comedic fantasies tend to be much briefer.

But then maybe this is a serious dramatic piece with great worldbuilding as well?

I think I may pick up a copy.

Regarding worldbuilding, the entirety of this novel essentially occurs in one city (which quite frankly is how many of the best worldbuilding efforts I have seen as of late are). Lynch does have chapters the dwelve into the history, and does this via employing a very effective narrative that magnifys with brief flashback chapters. There is also the mentioning remnnants of a other worldy presence in the city, but this shouldn't be confused as a world-wide feature.. Secondly this should't be taken as a comedic novel, or a satire based novel ala Pratchett (who I dmire as well). I wouldn't confuse fun for comedy, there are some sadistic and cut throat moments in this work. It is not a light book in tone at all.

Hi guys!

Well, this book is probably the most anticipated debut in a very long time. Here's your chance to get your hands on a free copy of the US Bantam edition. Jay has a UK edition up for grabs, so I dare say we'll make two people very happy!;)

Scott is working on his own website, and he's supposed to let me know when things are up and running. If there are sample chapters and a synopsis, I'll definitely let you all know. This book will undoubtedly make a lot of noise this summer!

Follow the link in my sig for all the details. . .

Patrick

Got my ARC delivered today!

So far, the prologue and Chapter 1 are great. The writing is tight and the characters are great. And calling them the Gentlemen Bastards works so well.

Hopefully, I'll get some more free time to get through more of the book. I'll update again with my thoughts after I'm done.

Archived